Gall Bladder Burst?

Lounge By Monkess Updated 3 Nov 2008 , 11:38am by Monkess

Monkess Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Monkess Posted 27 Oct 2008 , 2:28pm
post #1 of 25

Hey folks
I had an irritating pain in my right abdomen that was diagnosed as an infected, enlarged gall blader last week. My doctor was convinced that this was huge and could burst and I need immediate surgery.
I researched and discovered contrary to what the doc says the gall bladder is not a dispensible organ and its removal could lead to a lifetime of digestion, cholestrol problems. I found a homopathetic doc who came hoghly recommended and he has given me mother tincture amongest others and claims by thursday the stones will be gone and no surgery is needed.
Any one with any experiences or advice?
Painfully yours!
icon_smile.gif

24 replies
TheCakerator Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TheCakerator Posted 27 Oct 2008 , 2:43pm
post #2 of 25

well I have never experienced any gall bladder problems, thankfully, but both my SIL and cousin have had to have theirs removed and unfortunately, both suffer from long term side effects, like they can only eat certain foods or they will regret eating whatever they ate that caused their IBS ... lets just say, if they eat the wrong thing they can lose a whole day or two recouping, if you know what I mean ... having your gall bladder removed will most likely change your whole eating habits ... I guess if you could go another route, what would it hurt in trying?

Callyssa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Callyssa Posted 27 Oct 2008 , 2:45pm
post #3 of 25

If your gallbladder bursts it is life threatening. You should NOT mess around with it at this point. I had mine removed almost two years ago and found all the scary info on the net as well, but after yet another terrible attack, I chose to go with the surgery. Your gallstones will not just "go away" either; they are there. They can become lodged in your bile duct as they try to pass and that is yet another horrible situation to deal with; the worst possible pain you can imagine. I've had that also. And, you can get very, very ill from it; pancreatitis, which also can become life threatening.

I'm not trying to scare you, and I'm definitely all for homeopathic alternatives, but in a case like this, it's so not worth taking a chance. Tons of people have their gallbladders removed and function just fine without them, you just have to be careful about eating a lot of fats, which you have to also with gb issues anyway.

I had about two months after mine was removed where I had a few problems, but since then I can eat anything and not have repercussions.

If you just had gallstones I would say definitely try the alternative methods and see if you get relief, but with it being infected it's a whole different story. Nothing to mess around with for sure. Good luck!

mandifrye Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mandifrye Posted 27 Oct 2008 , 9:48pm
post #4 of 25

GALLBLADDER ATTACKS can (and do, from personal experience) cause horrific pain. My last attack was worse than my last c-section/hysterectomy surgery (where I wasn't completely numb!)!

Upon arrival at the hospital, they performed emergency surgery to remove it. I was in pretty bad shape, and NO amount of IV drugs could completely relieve the pain. icon_eek.gif

Having said that, I have regretted the surgery ever since. I know that it was a no choice situation - My liver and pancreas were infected badly because of the inflammation in my gall bladder - BUT, I have terrible tummy troubles often now. It depends on the day (not necessarily what I eat) and some are worse than others. What is the worst? Waiting in carpool line, after eating lunch hours earlier, and have an "episode"! (my hubby and I had to create this term for him to know when it was time to leave or find me a restroom) icon_lol.gif

Good luck and you have my sympathies, I have often said that I was going to call the hospital and tell them that I wanted my organ back! I don't think that will work though! icon_confused.gif However, infection in the abdominal cavity can be very serious - and must be taken care of soon! thumbsdown.gif

Hope you start feeling better!
mandi

CakesByJen2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakesByJen2 Posted 27 Oct 2008 , 10:56pm
post #5 of 25

If your gall bladder is blocked so that it cannot empty and becomes enlarged to the point of bursting, that is a very serious, life-threatening situation. It's one thing to have a wait-and-see attitude if you are having mild to moderate gall bladder problems, but if you really are already at risk of having a rupture, waiting could be fatal.

I had my gall bladder out almost 2 years, and while unfortunately it turned out to be unnecessary as it did not alleviate the pain I was having which still remains undiagnosed, I have not had any problems because of it. The recovery was very quick, I actually walked 2 miles the very next day (albeit very slowly and carefully). I was very sore for about a week, then mildly sore is a couple of specific spots for a couple of more weeks. I think I was pretty much back to all normal activities, swimming, working out, etc., within a month. Although I have read all the horror stories about terrible side effects, I have not experienced any of them, though I generally do not eat a lot of fatty foods anyway.

redpanda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
redpanda Posted 28 Oct 2008 , 1:42am
post #6 of 25

If you are willing to watch absolutely every bite that enters your mouth, for the rest of your life, you might possibly be able to avoid another gallstone episode. (Assuming that you are able to clear up the infection/blockage that is there now.) If you don't think you can follow the recommended diet (from what I have seen, nothing with fat, nothing with spice, nothing with flavor), then you may have to consider the surgery.

I am one of the unlucky ones where the first gallbladder attack was a doozy. I did end up with pancreatitis and jaundice. It was the worst pain I have ever had--and I have had a c-section improperly anesthetized.

I had the laparascopic surgery 15 years ago, which probably means that the procedure is even more refined today. I had the surgery on a Monday, went home that day, and begged the home health nurse to remove the morphine pump the next morning, because I hadn't used it even once, and it was getting in the way when I was walking around. (Not to mention that my cat really wanted to play with the tubing. It took a while for my abdominal muscles to recover, but that is partly due to the fact that I had complications from the c-section.

Within a couple of months, I could eat anything I wanted, within reason. Yes, if I were to eat a double-double burger with fries and a shake, I would really pay for it. However, I can eat a reasonable amount of fat and all other foods (e.g. spice, fruits, veggies). I wonder if the people who have problems eat a diet that varies widely in fat content. If so, it would explain a lot.

mandifrye Posted 28 Oct 2008 , 1:52am
post #7 of 25

I just wanted to chime back in as one that does pay for not having a gall bladder!! I know that high fat, greasy food cause havoc (buttercream will do it everytime! icon_cry.gif ), but I have problems with lots of things on some days. Some days I can eat dry toast and a hard boiled egg, and it can act the same as a Supersized value meal. For me, I haven't found the rhyme or reason for the side effects. However, when I have a bad episode, I usually have 5-6 days of normalcy with no problems with anything I eat. Then, it hits again. Strange, icon_confused.gif , I know, but it is what it is!

Mandi

lisad1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lisad1 Posted 28 Oct 2008 , 3:11am
post #8 of 25

I had my gall bladder removed about 6 years ago. I had dropped 40 lbs real quickly, sometimes that can cause them (gall stones). I would get what felt like stabbing pain/contractions in my upper back. It would usually go away in about 15 minutes, but I'd be totally in pain and drenched. It was usually food triggered, like the fat in mayonaise (my whole family has had theirs removed/genetics....but my mom's trigger food was lettuce of all things). I had a chicken salad sandwich, and had that pain for 3 hours...I thought I was going out of my mind. Finally took a muscle relaxer, and the pain finally stopped as I was being seen by the Emergency room doctor. Had the surgery a week later....It was laparoscopic, so I was home the same day. Very easy to recover from.

The only effects from having it removed, is that I can't do grease, but I really couldn't beforehand. Which I will gladly forgo, to never have that back pain again, it was TERRIBLE!!!

lepaz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lepaz Posted 28 Oct 2008 , 3:54am
post #9 of 25

I've had mine out for 10 years and let me tell you, I would rather deal with the "issues" rather than go through the pain of another stone passing. And my "issues" aren't even that bad, I just have to go to the bathroom almost immediately after eating greasy foods and after that, I'm fine. It just varies from person to person. Mine are mild when I eat fatty foods, but then again, fatty foods aren't good for you so it helps me to watch what I eat and I just think of it as a "friendly" reminder that maybe I shouldn't be eating what I'm eating. Good luck with whatever decision you make but like CakesByJen2 said, you really shouldn't wait at this point to try alternative medicine.

emelys Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
emelys Posted 28 Oct 2008 , 3:51pm
post #10 of 25

mY ENGLISH IS NOT GOOD IAM HISPANIC but i have this problem 4 years ago and i was scare to go for and opreation and the doctor told me that i was in danger to damage other organs and if one o my stone run to other organs it would be very dangerous., so i went for the operation and everthing its good.

sueco Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sueco Posted 28 Oct 2008 , 10:33pm
post #11 of 25

I had my gallbladder taken out about 10 yrs. ago and haven't regretted it. Before I had my surgery, when I would get an attack, it would last exactly 3 hrs. I would have to pace around because sitting or laying down would make it worse. Finally, after having a severe attack after eating a baby carrot (all that I had eaten that day), I wound up in the E.R. Waiting to be seen took 3 hrs. so by the time I was seen the attack was just about over. The Dr. asked if I wanted it removed. I said no at that point. Exactly one week later, the same thing happened (no carrot this time). I told my DH that there was no way in H**L I was going to wait 3 hrs again. Went up to the front desk, told them I was there the previous week for the same thing. Also mentioned that it felt like an elephant was pushing to get out of my chest. Was taken right in, admitted that night, surgery the following morning, vacation to Florida three days later.
I do have issues sometimes, but over 10 yrs. I've learned what I can and cannot eat, and when. Milk with my cereal is okay in the morning, as long as I'm not going anywhere for 45 minutes after I have it. Also, I can go out with the family and have "real" ice cream as long as I know we're heading straight home from there. I'd rather have to know where a bathroom is when I am out somewhere than to go through that pain again. (Hope that wasn't TMI :0) )
Good luck to you in whatever decision you make. I just know I've "been there, done that", and am glad I won't have to be there ever again.

Luby Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Luby Posted 29 Oct 2008 , 12:53am
post #12 of 25

I had mine removed (I had gall stones and the gall bladder was diseased) about 10 years ago and never had a problem since - I can eat anything I want.

Monkess Posted 29 Oct 2008 , 11:40am
post #13 of 25

Thank you all for your experiences! My gall bladder is enormous and the doc says it is so big that a larcospic surgery may not be the option to pull it out. On the other hand atleast until last week no stones were blocking the bile duct- i guess that is why my pains are moderate. What I dont understand is if I have had the stones in there for 3 years without the danger of the bladder bursting, why all of a sudden without any blocakge the docs are yelling "go to ER..go to ER!!" I dont get it. The homeopathic medicine is working, I feel alot better-other than yesterday when I had a big bowl of rice pudding for dessert...took some painkiller homeopathic drops and was fine within a few mins.
The homeopatic dr. says by thursday the stones should be gone...I am going to hace an ultrasound next week and we will know either way I guess. Thank you all once again~XOXO

Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 29 Oct 2008 , 12:30pm
post #14 of 25

Mandifrye hit the nail on the head...5 years ago I too had emergency Gall Bladder surgery.The stones were blocking the duct and poisoning me.It was very painful all the attacks and such.Nowadays I have good days and bad days and yes....the episodes happen also.It can be very frustrating but better than the pain.I too take homeopathic medicine to control my burning stomach etc and it has helped tremendously but at no time did he ever say he could cure the stones in two days..That I don't believe.You may not have a choice but get it removed.I can't DO fatty foods either or I am in the bathroom shortly after....so we never eat out which is a bummer.I can't or don't really venture too far from home as I don't want to be panicked to find a washroom...Hopefully you will find an answer!!

mandifrye Posted 29 Oct 2008 , 1:42pm
post #15 of 25

Thanks Kiddiekakes, I was beginning to think that it was just me! We love to eat out, but since the surgery, we only go to resturaunts late in our trip to town. That way, we can head straight home. I HATE PUBLIC RESTROOMS, but I have gotten better about venturing into them since my surgery. No choice, really. Sometimes, it just can't wait, icon_lol.gif !

If you don't mind sharing, what is it that you are taking to help with the burning stomach, ect.?

As for the urgency, gall stones are much like kidney stones. When they move, they cause problems. It just takes one stone to move in the wrong area to cause infection, and when that happens, you have no choice but to get it removed. Just because you are feeling better does not mean that they are gone. I had attacks come and go, when they went, I was fine. However, it only took one attack to infect other organs in my abdominal cavity. That is where it gets serious, even life threatening. If it is swollen enough for the doc to be concerned, rupture must be possible. If it ruptures, it could damage other organs and even cause internal bleeding. I am not trying to convince you to agree to surgery, but be aware of the risks that you are taking this late in the game.

Best wishes,
mandi

Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 29 Oct 2008 , 4:14pm
post #16 of 25

I take about 40 medicines...Combinations that help stomach,stress,Grief,Apprehension,Trauma...etc all which trigger anxiety which ultimately triggers "Gotta run to the washroom"...Here is a list of a few I take.

Ignatia Amara-Strees -Grief
Carbo Veg-stomach
Natrum Mur-Colds,Fright
Chelidonium-Indegestion
Gelsemium-Apprehension
Kalium Carb-Gas,Dispensia
Viscum Album-Nervousness,Tension
Rhus Tox,Arthritis
Pulsatilla-Nasal Congestion
China Lox,Loss of vital fluids

and several others.....I have been seeing a homoeopathic Dr for over a year and he has really helped...I was getting the constant burning in my tummy associated with the excess bile being diverted into the intestines.This is what happens when you have no gall bladder...the bile is sent into the sromach and intestines which causing burning and upset stomach and yellow diarrhea.Sorry to be grafic but that is the only way to explain it.It is called "Dumping" High fat foods and other food triggers set this off usually about once every 2 weeks...more in some people.It is also a common fact that more woman than men get gall bladder stones particulariy after having a few kids and woman who lose weight at a rapid speed like someone here mentioned...Hope this info helps!!

koolaidstains Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
koolaidstains Posted 29 Oct 2008 , 5:32pm
post #17 of 25

I had gallstones after giving birth to my first daughter. The DR gave me the option of surgery. Gallstones can come and go. I waited a while, but my attatcks got more frequent and too painful. I had mine out laproscopically. I had a little trouble with heartburn for about a year. It was more frequent right after the surgery and got less and less over the ocurse of a year. I learned that I just couldn't have an empty stomach. That was 10 years ago and I have been fine since then. I don't have trouble eating any foods.

Infections of the gallbladder are different than just having gallstones. Obviously you can find lots of different opinions on the subject. It may be easy to search the internet and find what seems likes all these people with problems from the surgery, but it's also likey there are that many more that have had little to no problems and they don't speak up. If you're concerned, spend some time finding a good surgeon instead and make sure the jobs done right. There isn't just "one way" to remove a gallbladder, so educate yourself and find a DR who is willing to answer your questions.

mandifrye Posted 29 Oct 2008 , 6:16pm
post #18 of 25

Well stated Koolaidstains !

Thanks for the list, Kiddiekakes, I might just have to see a doc around here and see what I can do!

Monkess Posted 30 Oct 2008 , 3:10am
post #19 of 25

Thank you all! you ar eright about finding a doc who answers my questions. The GP who I was seeing got so crazy because I said I want a second opinion from the surgeon. Basically as long as you go along with what he says he his the best but you have a question or you want to think about it -woah! hell its my body isnt it?

RosiePie84 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
RosiePie84 Posted 30 Oct 2008 , 10:29am
post #20 of 25

I had my gall bladder removed aged 21 and I have been fine ever since. I have not really found anything I cant eat, I just have a balenced diet. The only thing I have to do is to make sure I have breakfast and then Im ok to eat for the rest of the day. It seems to affect people in different ways so its not usually a good idea to read horror stories on medical websites like I did. Take care!

famousamous Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
famousamous Posted 30 Oct 2008 , 4:32pm
post #21 of 25

I was in the exact same position as you. A stone was blocking a duct. It is a serious problem. If it does burst you can go down hill pretty fast. I had mine removed.

The side effects lasted about a year or a little less. You just have to watch your greasy food intake and you will be fine. Now I can eat whatever I want.

Good luck and please be safe!

Monkess Posted 31 Oct 2008 , 3:35am
post #22 of 25
Quote:
Quote:

I was in the exact same position as you. A stone was blocking a duct. It is a serious problem.

My ducts arent blocked(thank God) which brings me to the point...how come 3 years they never thought stones were an issue, and now they keep saying it will burst, even though there is no blockage!!!!! icon_mad.gif

redpanda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
redpanda Posted 31 Oct 2008 , 5:15am
post #23 of 25

It is possible that the infection/inflammation is preventing proper emptying of the gall bladder. Thus, bile could be backing up in the gall bladder. That can become critical really fast, damaging the liver and/or pancreas in the process. If you start getting ANY symptoms of jaundice (yellowed whites of the eyes, slight yellow tinge to skin, possibly severe itching all over, bitter taste in mouth unrelated to food or medicines, and red/orange/dark urine) you should consult your doctor immediately.

famousamous Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
famousamous Posted 31 Oct 2008 , 5:16am
post #24 of 25

Maybe this is whats going on.
Chronic gallbladder disease ( chronic cholecystitis ) is marked by gallstones and low-grade inflammation. In such cases the gallbladder may become scarred and stiff. Symptoms of chronic gallbladder disease include the following:

Complaints of gas, nausea, and abdominal discomfort after meals are the most common, but they may be vague and indistinguishable from similar complaints in people without gallbladder disease.

Heres the link if you want to read further.

http://www.umm.edu/patiented/articles/what_symptoms_of_gallstones_gallbladder_disease_000010_2.htm

Heres another link. I found this helpful before I got mine taken out.
http://www.medicinenet.com/gallstones/article.htm

Monkess Posted 3 Nov 2008 , 11:38am
post #25 of 25

famousamous
Thank you for the links!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%