Need Your Opinions - Freezing Cakes

Decorating By angelcakes5 Updated 5 Nov 2010 , 9:48pm by Sweet_Toof

angelcakes5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
angelcakes5 Posted 27 Oct 2008 , 8:14pm
post #31 of 65

Yes I would like to know too, I have meat in my freezer wrapped and in freezer bags, will the cake be all right?

angelcakes5 Posted 27 Oct 2008 , 8:29pm
post #32 of 65

Well to be on the safe side I am cleaning out the freezer tonight and taking any meat and sticking it in my in-laws freezer. Thank goodness they are next door. Plus it will give me an excuse to clean and I will have more space.

pieceofcake20 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pieceofcake20 Posted 27 Oct 2008 , 8:50pm
post #33 of 65

What about fondant decorated cakes? I have a carved cake due this weekend and I'm wondering if I can freeze it so I can devote the rest of my time to all the treats everyone wants for Halloween.

pastrylady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pastrylady Posted 27 Oct 2008 , 8:53pm
post #34 of 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by angelcakes5

Yes I would like to know too, I have meat in my freezer wrapped and in freezer bags, will the cake be all right?

I'm no refrigeration expert, but I do know that commercial freezers stay much colder than home freezers. It's one of the reasons that, in my county, although I can sell cakes from home, commercial grade appliances are required.

If you're selling to the public and don't want to take any chances, maybe you can pick up an inexpensive freezer that's used exclusively for cakes

Sweetcakes23 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sweetcakes23 Posted 27 Oct 2008 , 8:58pm
post #35 of 65

Well, not everyone has the space for an extra freezer, like I have, thats true, But, I believe that's why I'm having no trouble with freezing my cakes for a longer period of time. I have also used cakes that have been frozen for 4 weeks (they had been syruped, and wrapped well) and everyone loved it! Mums the word. tapedshut.gif
And, I ONLY designate it for cakes....not other frozen foods. I think that all makes a difference.

heavenlytiers Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
heavenlytiers Posted 27 Oct 2008 , 8:58pm
post #36 of 65

I love, love, love this place! I too am a freezer phobic! Always scared it may have that freezer taste....but, as a newly inspired "take orders for money" baker, (I actually discovered people will pay if you say so) I think I'll give it a go....I'll let ya know if someone squawks!

justsweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
justsweet Posted 27 Oct 2008 , 9:20pm
post #37 of 65

No problem freezing cake, just make sure you put a box of baking soda in freezer to absorb other food smells (you may not smell anything but in can be absorb into your cake). I store my cakes in my freezer that also has meats, never had any problems. I keep two boxes in the freezer.

pieceofcake20 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pieceofcake20 Posted 27 Oct 2008 , 9:23pm
post #38 of 65

I'm still wondering if I can freeze it if it's fully decorated with fondant? Is the thawing process different than an uniced, undecorated cake?

IcedTea4Me2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
IcedTea4Me2 Posted 27 Oct 2008 , 9:27pm
post #39 of 65

"I have also used cakes that have been frozen for 4 weeks (they had been syruped"

What do you mean by "syruped?" Thanks.

angelcakes5 Posted 27 Oct 2008 , 10:49pm
post #40 of 65

Pieceofcake20, I dont think you would want to put a fondant cake in the freezer because I think when the cake defrosts the fondant will sweat. Dont quote me on that but I think I have seen that on another post.

Sweetcakes23 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sweetcakes23 Posted 28 Oct 2008 , 12:18am
post #41 of 65

Yea, Fondant doesn't freeze well.... thumbsdown.gif I only put it in refrigerator after decorating....but rest assured, I had to leave one completely decorated in fondant for a week one time (for family) and it still tasted great! These situations make for great testing....
icon_rolleyes.gif

MacsMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MacsMom Posted 28 Oct 2008 , 12:21am
post #42 of 65
Quote:

Macsmom, I wondered how long a cake would last if I wrapped and put in the fridge. Does it dry out at all being that long? This would be a box mix.

I follow the basic WASC recipe for all of my cake flavors and I always get complimented on their moistness. Perhaps it's because they go into the fridge while still in their pans and before they are totally cooled?

When wrapped in layers of plastic wrap it's hard to imagine circulating air getting to it and drying it out.

I can only work on cakes after the kids go to bed and I've had plenty of "me" time, so I have a timeline I try to follow.
- Bake cakes on Monday.
- Make all the fillings and fondant and BC Tuesday.
- Carve, fill and BC Wed.
- Cover in fondant Thurs.
- Decorate Friday.

Of course, I hardly ever end up following my schedule...

Anyway, nope, they don't get dry. icon_smile.gif

ladyonzlake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ladyonzlake Posted 28 Oct 2008 , 12:31am
post #43 of 65

I didn't read all of the posts but since I started renting a commercial kitchen I've had to plan ahead so now I do freeze my cakes. I bake early in the week and freeze. I wrap them only in saran wrap and I think it keeps them more moist in the freezer. If I keep them longer I will place in a zip lock bag or if they're larger I will put foil over the saran wrap. I usually keep my cakes about a month (I use them for tastings) and then toss them.

Freezer saves me a lot of time and allows me to make more cakes and keep my sanity! I do recommend it!

coldtropics Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
coldtropics Posted 28 Oct 2008 , 1:12am
post #44 of 65

Frozen cakes do come fair quite well. They taste as fresh as the day they were made... however, (i am a scratch baker only so can only speak from that perspective....) the consistancy does change somewhat... I find the cake denser... but still moist and delicious.

ladyonzlake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ladyonzlake Posted 28 Oct 2008 , 1:34am
post #45 of 65

Oh yes, I'm a scratch baker as well. I haven't noticed any change in my cakes when I freeze them. Still moist and delicious!

bridgett413 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bridgett413 Posted 28 Oct 2008 , 10:32am
post #46 of 65

I haven't been on in awhile, but I popped on this morning looking for this exact question. Both of my boys birthdays are this weekend so I'm trying to bake now. As far as wrapping the cake, do I wrap it as soon as it comes out of the oven, or do I wait and let it cool first? I have one in the oven now!

angelcakes5 Posted 28 Oct 2008 , 12:22pm
post #47 of 65

Well I baked 4 cakes last night, let them cool and wrapped them in siran wrap. I put a box of baking soda in the freezer just in case to get rid of any odors. I am sure it will be fine. I hope!

pastrylady Posted 28 Oct 2008 , 3:23pm
post #48 of 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacsMom

Quote:

Macsmom, I wondered how long a cake would last if I wrapped and put in the fridge. Does it dry out at all being that long? This would be a box mix.

When wrapped in layers of plastic wrap it's hard to imagine circulating air getting to it and drying it out.

The process of staling is not just the cake loosing moisture. A big culprit in staling is the crystallization of the starch in the cake. The cooler temperature of the refrig speeds up this process by six times over room temp. Freezing prevents the crystallization of the starches because, as the water in the cake is frozen, the crystals cannot form.

If you notice, cakes get crumbly when they go stale, not just dry. That crumbliness is from the starch crystals in the cake.

A little time in the refrigerator won't make them go totally stale. I always refrigerate cakes filled with mousses, custards, etc. But if you want to hold an un-filled cake for a couple of days, and you have room in the freezer, it's the best way to keep it as fresh as possible.

angelbaby612 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
angelbaby612 Posted 28 Oct 2008 , 5:38pm
post #49 of 65

Is it better to freeze the cakes in the pan or out of the pan? If it is out of the pan, do you put them on a board or just wrap the cake?

angelbaby612 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
angelbaby612 Posted 28 Oct 2008 , 6:15pm
post #50 of 65

**BUMP** need help quick!

pastrylady Posted 28 Oct 2008 , 6:44pm
post #51 of 65

I take them out of the pan (after they've cooled partially) and wrap them in two layers of plastic wrap without a cake board.

Of course it depends on the texture of your cake. If you're cake is very soft and you're afraid it'll crack, you could put a cake board under it. I would wrap the cake first so it doesn't stick to the board.

angelcakes5 Posted 28 Oct 2008 , 8:34pm
post #52 of 65

I wrapped all my cakes in siran wrap and then placed a cake circle under my large tier and then put in the freezer - just for stability

conchita Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
conchita Posted 8 Aug 2009 , 6:01am
post #53 of 65

thumbs_up.gif

Adevag Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Adevag Posted 8 Aug 2009 , 3:11pm
post #54 of 65

I have never frozen a cake (but then, I don't bake that much so I don't have a need to). I'm just curious to learn because from what I have learned you can never freeze a cake more than just once. So if you are making a wedding cake that has been frozen, then how can the couple freeze their cake for their anniversary? Or do you freeze the bottom tiers and make the top tier fresh?

bellabakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bellabakes Posted 8 Aug 2009 , 3:30pm
post #55 of 65

hey everyone, great thread! Very informative but I thought I'd hop in with some questions of my own:

I'm making a 6 tier wedding cake in september for a saturday when I'm in school the whole week before, and I am planning on baking it the weekend before and freezing it. My question is to all you cake-freezers, do you ice the cakes when they are still frozen or wait for them to thaw? Do you thaw on the counter or in the fridge? I was also curious how many of you have crumb coated before freezing, it would save me a lot of valuable time but I don't want to do it if it will make it taste gross...

mightydragon663 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mightydragon663 Posted 8 Aug 2009 , 4:07pm
post #56 of 65

I freeze cakes frequently and I have found that they freeze best wrapped thightly in plastic wrap and left unfrosted. I also found that it the cake is still frozen, it is next to impossible to cut it for the filling and the frosting gets very difficult to spread, so I usually allow them thaw on the counter still wrapped. Good luck. icon_biggrin.gif

cakesweetiecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesweetiecake Posted 30 Aug 2009 , 5:40pm
post #57 of 65

Great tips in this thread!

3GCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
3GCakes Posted 30 Aug 2009 , 6:12pm
post #58 of 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adevag

I have never frozen a cake (but then, I don't bake that much so I don't have a need to). I'm just curious to learn because from what I have learned you can never freeze a cake more than just once. So if you are making a wedding cake that has been frozen, then how can the couple freeze their cake for their anniversary? Or do you freeze the bottom tiers and make the top tier fresh?

The thing about the freezing for an anniversary, is that the layer is frozen for a year....it doesn't matter by then anyway. After a year....no cake, previously frozen or not is going to taste as good as the wedding day!

I have frozen a cake, then had leftover and froze individual pieces....no one complained.

picaboocakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
picaboocakes Posted 4 Nov 2010 , 6:22pm
post #59 of 65

I love CC so much! Thanks for all the info. I'm frosting a cake for Friday today and normally I put the cake in the fridge over night and then cover w fondant the next day. But I'm wondering if that will make it go dry. What would any of you suggest?

Win Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Win Posted 4 Nov 2010 , 6:48pm
post #60 of 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by picaboocakes

I love CC so much! Thanks for all the info. I'm frosting a cake for Friday today and normally I put the cake in the fridge over night and then cover w fondant the next day. But I'm wondering if that will make it go dry. What would any of you suggest?

Pica, I do find that if you put it in the fridge overnight, you greatly increase the risk of drying it out. Others might have just the opposite opinion, but this is what I have found based on personal experience.

That being said, what you are doing today is actually just how you want to proceed when you have the time to make a cake and not rush it. Frost it today. If possible, the best thing to do is just the crumb coat today then add the final layer of bc on Friday before the fondant layer. If you crumb coat it, place it inside a clean plastic bag and close the bag up tight, you are not only keeping it moist, but you are allowing the optimal settling to occur. Rarely will you ever deal with bulging cake layers when you can go this route. Allow the settling to take place overnight, and simply sitting out on the counter in that bag.

Tomorrow morning, remove the bag, if there is a bulge between layers go around the layers with a thin spatula and remove the excess. Smooth it out. Add the extra layer of buttercream. THEN place the cake in the fridge for about 15-20 minutes allowing it to chill the bc layer for optimum placement of the fondant.

If you don't have time to allow just the crumb coat to settle today simply follow the same instructions, but allow the crumb coat to settle at least two hours before the final layer of bc. When you put the final layer of bc on, close it up in the bag and allow it to sit overnight in the bag. Tomorrow morning, remove the bag and smooth out any of the wrinkles that might have occurred overnight.

Hope that helps! Happy Caking!

Edited to add that your cakes are precious and very well executed. Whatever you are doing currently must be right because they look super. LOVE that stargazer wedding cake!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%