Has Anyone Adopted An Adult Dog?

Lounge By littlecake Updated 31 Oct 2008 , 8:40pm by Carolynlovescake

littlecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
littlecake Posted 27 Oct 2008 , 12:07am
post #1 of 13

i've been wanting a pug for years.....i been working so much i didn't think i had time for one....

well i decided to quit putting my life off and adopted a 3 year pug from a local breeder....she had a lot of trouble with her last litter, so no more puppies....she is beautiful....

i put an ad on craigslist, the breeder found me, and it all worked out great.

i forgot how much a pet can bring to your life.

tell us your pet stories...and show your fur babies!

12 replies
dragonflydreams Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dragonflydreams Posted 27 Oct 2008 , 12:12am
post #2 of 13

. . . I'm sooo happy for you . . . I know you've been thinking about this for along time . . . congratulations on your new family member . . . do you have any photos to share yet . . . what's her name . . . how's she settling in . . . (I don't have any fur babies at the moment - hubby says no more after we lost our beloved Shiloh this past summer icon_sad.gif ) . . . once again congrats . . . how exciting for you . . . icon_biggrin.gif

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 27 Oct 2008 , 12:30am
post #3 of 13

Our first adult dog was a "giveaway". She was a German Shepherd, Collie & Husky mix; I called her my hairy daughter.
She was an absolute joy for 9 years and a friend to all our other critters. icon_biggrin.gif

We've have had two adult dogs that were "volunteers" (found them wandering w/no tags).

One was a lovely female Rottweiler (who was dragging a HUGE chain wrapped around her neck). She followed me around like a puppy.... Unfortunately, she didn't have a long life; she lost her fight against thrombocytopenia, leukopenia. icon_cry.gif

The other is a female Lab mix that my husband rescued near one of his job sites. She was shot in the foot, and efforts to save her leg were unsuccessful. (And no, we didn't name her "Tripod".) icon_lol.gif

She had never been housebroken or had any training, so she's been more of a challenge. But she is bright and eager to please, so it's working out. (Now she follows me around like a puppy.)

Think dogs & cats (especially shelter and homeless) know when they've been found a loving home and are SO grateful and faithful. thumbs_up.gif

I'm sure your little girl will bring you much joy. icon_biggrin.gif

TheCakerator Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TheCakerator Posted 27 Oct 2008 , 2:34pm
post #4 of 13

I started out years ago with two of the best cats ever ... Got them the summer I was nine and they stayed with me until I was a married woman in my twenties ... but unfortunately, one passed ... and then I was left with only one furbaby ... but my new dh had never had a pet before in his life so we got a baby seal point Siamese name Mocha Jo Latte, aka Bear .. and then my other older cat passed away and I felt the need to have another cat for the Siamese to play with .. and that's how we ended up with our calico cat named Twix Pixie Stix, aka Beans. Not long after that we ended up bringing home our first boy cat, a long haired orange tomboy of a cat named Cheddar Colby Jack ... sadly, he passed away just after his first birthday due to an unknown heart defect ... It broke my heart ... so now instead of bringing home any more cats, well at least for now, we are supporting the ASPCA and feel really good about that ... I will try to post a pic of my furbabies on here .... and yes, Cheddar was really only one .. even though he was HUGE ... he was going to be massive ... he was part main coon .. and they don't stop growing until about four years old .. but we sure do miss him ..
LL

Callyssa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Callyssa Posted 27 Oct 2008 , 2:56pm
post #5 of 13

We did; we have a five year old Cavalier King Charles Spaniel that we saw on Craigslist. The family was so comfortable with us that they drove about 600 miles to get him to us. He's been a true joy. A few potty issues every now and then, but I just remind him how much nicer I am when he does his business where he's supposed to!

We also have an eight year old foster Cavalier. She was a mill mama that our rescue organization got at an auction. She is now a "failed foster" and at some point we will adopt her. She had spent her entire life in a cage and definitely has some trust issues, but she's the sweetest thing EVER. I don't think I'll ever be without dogs in my life; they are what helps me keep my sanity! Here's a few pictures:

Bazle, our first rescue:

And Lizzie, our foster:

Callyssa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Callyssa Posted 27 Oct 2008 , 2:57pm
post #6 of 13

Oops.....sorry for the first pic being so big icon_redface.gif ...

Pookie59 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pookie59 Posted 27 Oct 2008 , 6:56pm
post #7 of 13

I've been thinking about this. I had a fantastic box for 11 years. At some point I would like another one, but am not looking for a puppy. I browse the dog rescue sites occasionally and think that, when I'm ready, I'll be looking for a 2-3 year old from one of those sites. No puppies for me!

Auryn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Auryn Posted 27 Oct 2008 , 7:24pm
post #8 of 13

ohh great thread

We adopted my dog from the shelter
He was a beautiful bichon frisee about 2 years old when we got him.
He was the love of my life for almost 12 years. Broke my heart when he passed away in 2004.

I am finally ready to get another dog, it will definitely be a rescue. Just trying to decide on a breed now.
I'm leaning towards a west highland white terrier.
Im with Pookie, no puppies for me either.

Can anyone reccomend a good breed for apartment living??

michellenj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
michellenj Posted 28 Oct 2008 , 12:04am
post #9 of 13

I adopted my golden retriever about 10 years ago, and I just love her to pieces. She is part of my family. I have pics of my babies crawling over her, cuddling on the floor with her, and learning to walk holding onto her.

She was neurotic as hell when we got her, though. The previous owner was a single mom with 3 boys, the youngest was autistic. The child's doc had an autistic child and they had a dog that helped his child, so the mom got her son Molly. Unfortunately, the boy was frightened by her, so they kept her locked up for like 15 hours at a stretch, so she had MAJOR separation issues. She would freak out when we left for work, and yelp for hours on end, then destroy the house and chew anything that she could get her teeth on-including our brick fireplace! Thank goodness that stopped after about a year and she's just a nice, old lady now.

The animal control people here just had a huge raid on a kennel and found 800-yes, 800- sick animals! I have no idea where they even could move 800 animals to, before they were adopted. They ranged from horses, monkeys, cats, dogs, guinea pigs, and birds.

mkolmar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mkolmar Posted 30 Oct 2008 , 4:39am
post #10 of 13

Congrats on the new dog.

I have 4 pets right now. One is a small shark a little over 1ft. long. He won't get much bigger than that. A cockatiel that is a cinnamon piel that is a pale yellow with orange cheeks names Cocoa. Then we have our 2 cats that I picked up from shelters. The first one is an orange tabby and her name is Keecha (cat in Polish --my DH named her icon_confused.gif ) She was already a few years old when we got her. No one knew much about her but my DH fell in love with her and that's the one he wanted. The other one I got as a kitten from a shelter. She is solid black and named Lucky.

My kids just love animals and now want a dog. That won't happen anytime soon though. We have enough animals right now.

LaSombra Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LaSombra Posted 31 Oct 2008 , 3:07pm
post #11 of 13

Our dog was a year and a half when we got her. A friend of my mom's brother had several labs and this one was very subordinate to the others. They were all fat and she was too skinny. They treated her terribly so he wanted to give her away so she could have a better life. That was in May. She's since fattened up and she's wonderful. I never did like the puppy years much so it was perfect for us. She's absolutely wonderful with the kids. Love her icon_smile.gif

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 31 Oct 2008 , 5:05pm
post #12 of 13

We lost our Maltese to lymphome in June after an 8 month fight with chemo and other treatments and swore we wouldn't get another dog. Well, we missed him so much, as did our bichon/maltese mix that we started looking at the rescue sites on line. We got our new little guy, Kai, about 2 months ago. His photo is my icon and he is 2 years old. He is just the perfect companion. Very loving, house broke and minds very well. He can't replace the one we lost but he sure makes the days brighter.

Carolynlovescake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Carolynlovescake Posted 31 Oct 2008 , 8:40pm
post #13 of 13

We got Sasha from the local animal shelter last New Years Eve.

She was 3 at the time and had her third litter of puppies 2 months prior.

She had been at the shelter since Thanksgiving weekend and everyone rejected her because her poor doggie boobies were dragging the ground from just having had a litter.

Seeing as I just recently had my daughter I understood the boobs never being the same again issue and said on ethics alone I was taking her.

She's the best dog I've ever had.

Her disposition and tolerance with the "baby" (who's now 18 months) is awesome. She follows the baby all over the house and sleeps at the foot of her crib at night. She growls at me when the baby's trying to climb and nudges me towards her as well. The poor dog's been the baby's jungle gym, stepping stool, and who knows what else all with just a sigh and lift of her head.

She loves our son too. When she wants to go out back and play she will push him towards the door and wag her butt at him. Almost a year later my son sees the look in her eye and runs and hides when he doesn't want to go out back with her. Then she runs around the house looking for him.

I am a bit resentful I had to give up my legal home kitchen for her but at the time and situation that warranted a large dog needing to be in our home I have come to terms with it. We are now working to convert the garage into my shop as they have stated as long as the dog never enters once it's set up they will license my new "shop/kitchen" since it has it's own entrance/exit door (side garage door).

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%