Attaching Cake To Cardboard - Failure

Decorating By kjt Updated 26 Oct 2008 , 10:44pm by Kim_in_CajunCountry

kjt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kjt Posted 26 Oct 2008 , 3:07pm
post #1 of 11

Okay, so I use the SPS for stacking/transporting and swear by it.

I had a customer call yesterday and say that "The cake slid, it wasn't too bad, and we fixed it" icon_eek.gif . Ummm, what do you mean slid? "Well, the top cake slid about half way off, toward the back, so we just tilted the whole thing back and it kinda slid right back into place, you couldn't really see any mess up except for the bottom edge." Of course I'm thinking , okay, how did this happen??? I delivered the cake, and set it in the back of her SUV on a non-skid mat. To make a long story short, they changed cars, the cake rode two hours "not quite level...there wasn't enough room" icon_rolleyes.gif . So during the two hour trip, the top cake made its way across the cardboard circle. The SPS held up fine, no collapse.
Here's my question: what do y'all use to attach the cake to the cake circle? I have always used a smear of icing, but it sometimes "scoots" around when I'm icing, so I wonder if anything (other than a level car ride icon_razz.gif ) could have prevented this...any advice?
Sorry this is long.

10 replies
indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 26 Oct 2008 , 3:13pm
post #2 of 11

Hmm.... the cake was "not quite level" during the ride. The cake sat at an angle for the whole trip. And they wonder why it slid? icon_confused.gif

I think they cover this in 3rd grade science. It's called GRAVITY!!!!!!!!!

kjt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kjt Posted 26 Oct 2008 , 3:27pm
post #3 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

Hmm.... the cake was "not quite level" during the ride. The cake sat at an angle for the whole trip. And they wonder why it slid? icon_confused.gif

You crack me up! icon_lol.gif This is a long time customer, and she KNOWS good and well that cakes have to sit level-she wasn't at all concerned about the slide...that being said, I still would like to know what you use to stick the cake onto the circle. I want it to be stuck like glue! Thanks Debi for the reply.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 26 Oct 2008 , 3:30pm
post #4 of 11

I just use a blop of icing.

Mike1394 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mike1394 Posted 26 Oct 2008 , 3:48pm
post #5 of 11

If you want glue like never gonna move, corn syrup.

Mike

summernoelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
summernoelle Posted 26 Oct 2008 , 4:10pm
post #6 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

Hahaha.

I don't always use something-but sometimes royal icing works.

SHADDI Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SHADDI Posted 26 Oct 2008 , 4:18pm
post #7 of 11

Did you put a wooden dowel rod and push it through all tiers and cake boards to the base of the bottom tier. I would have since it was going on a long trip like that.

Mencked Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mencked Posted 26 Oct 2008 , 4:28pm
post #8 of 11

You can't dowel through SPS--simple gravity made the cake slide off of the board--darn the luck kjt!!!! Thank goodness for SPS though, huh! I always just use the BC spread all over under the cake on the board, but I'm going to try corn syrup too--who knew that would work!!

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 26 Oct 2008 , 4:46pm
post #9 of 11

I hope that any one who doubts SPS reads this thread. Now let's see - the cake rode for 2 hours at an angle and the only damage was the top tier slide off center. Then the customer tilted the cake and the top tier slide back into place. SPS held everything together through some fairly severe abuse.

There can be no more doubters.

I use a good bit of bc on the cardboard to stick the cake on.

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 26 Oct 2008 , 10:30pm
post #10 of 11

I use my regular buttercream. I spread a thin layer all over the board (the one that's the same size as the cake) and then use my spatula to stipple the icing (this increases the surface area & creates some suction between the cake & board). Never had a problem doing it this way.

As for adhering the cake to the decorative board, I generally use anything from double sided tape to my favorites: glue dots

http://www.discountschoolsupply.com/product/productdetail.aspx?product=16684&es=10190200000

HTH
Rae

Kim_in_CajunCountry Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kim_in_CajunCountry Posted 26 Oct 2008 , 10:44pm
post #11 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakesCakes

As for adhering the cake to the decorative board, I generally use anything from double sided tape to my favorites: glue dots

http://www.discountschoolsupply.com/product/productdetail.aspx?product=16684&es=10190200000

HTH
Rae

Glue Dots rock! I find a new use for them every day! Yesterday I used them to create my Custom Interchangeable Cake Stand!

Oh, and of course, Cake Central rocks!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%