Painting Roses That Won't Dry??

Decorating By Suewillo Updated 26 Oct 2008 , 5:50pm by weirkd

Suewillo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Suewillo Posted 26 Oct 2008 , 2:27pm
post #1 of 6

I am making roses and painting them red. Did one last night and today it is still tacky. I mixed the colour with vodka. What am I doing wrong and what can I do to dry them?
Thanks for your help
Sue

5 replies
Malakin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Malakin Posted 26 Oct 2008 , 3:30pm
post #2 of 6

What medium did you make the roses out of? Gumpaste? I ususally use petal dust instead of painting them but the ones I paint usually dry with a small fan. I find they take longer when the things are fondant.

Suewillo Posted 26 Oct 2008 , 3:36pm
post #3 of 6

I used fondant mixed with gumtex to harden it. Then let this dry before painting. I thought vodka was to help dry them faster? They should still dry?

weirkd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
weirkd Posted 26 Oct 2008 , 3:48pm
post #4 of 6

If you are using a paste color mixed with the vodka to achieve your red, this is the reason its not drying fast. I would put a fan on it otherwise it might take several days.
Always use a petal dust with the vodka for painting and never a paste. You can use airbrush color and also airbrush them but you will have to wait a couple of days for them to dry.

Suewillo Posted 26 Oct 2008 , 4:25pm
post #5 of 6

I haven't seen petal dust that is red? Where would I find it.

weirkd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
weirkd Posted 26 Oct 2008 , 5:50pm
post #6 of 6

Sunflower sugarart makes a old rose and ck makes a super red. I believe Alan has them at Global. If he doesnt, I know creative cutters has it. You can also use a bit of the old rose and add a drop of red airbrush color to it and then the vodka or extract and get a great red color without the hassle of the drying time.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%