Injured By Fondant!

Decorating By KODYSMOM Updated 27 Oct 2008 , 5:50pm by trishalynn0708

KODYSMOM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KODYSMOM Posted 26 Oct 2008 , 1:03pm
post #1 of 7

Just a little warning about fondant being heated in the microwave. I'm not very experienced but I have done a few cakes with fondant accents. I had some marshmallow fondant in the fridge so I used the microwave to soften it. I'm sure it was because I was tired, but I had it in there a little too long and grabbed it without thinking. That stuff will stick to your skin!! I ran to the sink to put my hands in water to cool the fondant and get it off my skin. I badly burned two of my fingers and it was very painful. I now have blisters. Good thing the cake was finished except for adding a few fondant balls....which did not happen....I was so upset wth myself so they went in the trash.

I just wanted this to be a warning for those of you who may be a little inexperienced like me to use caution when microwaving fondant!

6 replies
linedancer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
linedancer Posted 26 Oct 2008 , 1:21pm
post #2 of 7

Sorry this happened to you, that fondant does get hotter than you think. Will pass on a little tip about burns. I am always burning myself, with a glue gun or when I get things out of the oven. Just grab a regular teabag, wet it with cool water and apply to the burn. Sit down and relax for 10-15 min, keeping the teabag moist, and on the burn. Soon the pain will go away and it usually will not blister. The tannin in the tea works miracles on small painful burns. Try it next time you get a burn, you will be amazed icon_biggrin.gif

KODYSMOM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KODYSMOM Posted 26 Oct 2008 , 1:28pm
post #3 of 7

Thanks so much for the advice on using tea bags. I will definitely try that!

uschi1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
uschi1 Posted 26 Oct 2008 , 1:37pm
post #4 of 7

I have never heard of using a tea bag on a burn. Thanks for the tip - I'll definitely give it a try!

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 26 Oct 2008 , 1:37pm
post #5 of 7

That's terrible! I hope you get better soon!

marknelliesmum Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
marknelliesmum Posted 26 Oct 2008 , 1:46pm
post #6 of 7

Ouch such a sore one! I've seen so many times on here people recommending putting it in the microwave to soften it and rarely does anyone bother to warn of the dangers. I think it's worse because it seems to heat from the inside so the outside may seem ok and then when you start to knead it is suddenly very hot. Poor you icon_sad.gif

I have never heard of using tea bags either that a great tip - i usually have a bottle of lavendar handy to use on burns, that's my cure.

Hope your hands and fingers recover soon thumbs_up.gif

trishalynn0708 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
trishalynn0708 Posted 27 Oct 2008 , 5:50pm
post #7 of 7

thanks for the warning. I haven't used fondant yet but at least i know now! icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%