Using Buttercream As A Filling

Decorating By msulli10 Updated 26 Oct 2008 , 12:44pm by msulli10

msulli10 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
msulli10 Posted 26 Oct 2008 , 2:27am
post #1 of 5

I recently got asked to make a 3 tiered cake with buttercream including the filling. I thought this might be a little too much buttercream. Do folks use the same buttercream for the filling as they do icing the cake? Or is there a suggestion for making the filling slightly different??? Help!

4 replies
kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 26 Oct 2008 , 2:47am
post #2 of 5

Yes you use the same b'crfeam for fill as you use for the icing.
If the customer has requested b'cream fill then you don't make it different - you give them what they asked foricon_smile.gif About the only thing one could do is add more or different extract to the b'cream.
For future orders you can suggest different fillings. YOu can alwasy add fruit jams to b'cream to change them some.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 26 Oct 2008 , 2:47am
post #3 of 5

I used regular BC icing as filling for 25 years. Never even thought about using anything else ... that's just how it was done way back then and that's what I kept doing. I still get brides who want it that way.

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 26 Oct 2008 , 2:51am
post #4 of 5

Buttercream is actually the default filling used when "no filling" is requested. icon_smile.gif

Using a different flavored b/c for the filling than that used for frosting/decorating the cake would be slightly different without being too difficult.

Icing fruit is good for fruit flavered b/c fillings:

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-591057-.html

HTH

msulli10 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
msulli10 Posted 26 Oct 2008 , 12:44pm
post #5 of 5

Thanks for all your responses. I will go with what the customre requested (even though I tried to suggest other fillings)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%