Luster Dust

Decorating By kbw5780 Updated 5 Nov 2008 , 1:15am by chanelsmimi

kbw5780 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kbw5780 Posted 25 Oct 2008 , 3:29pm
post #1 of 10

okay, so this may be a crazy question, but since I am still learning, I'll never know til I ask...... When I luster dust an entire cake, how do I keep it from looking splotchy? I love to use this stuff and if just seems if I am using it over a large area, it just gets all splotcy and looks like crap when I am through. Please Help!!!!

Thanks!

9 replies
cakecookie6 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakecookie6 Posted 25 Oct 2008 , 3:33pm
post #2 of 10

Hi, Try using the luster sprays (the ones from PME are really good and coat the cake well. The bottle below works well: http://www.countrykitchensa.com/catalog/product.aspx?T=1&productId=632458

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 26 Oct 2008 , 1:39am
post #3 of 10

Dry brush it on. If it's blotchy either you are mixing it w/alcohol of somekind and it's too thin or your icing is wet somehow.

kbw5780 Posted 26 Oct 2008 , 2:42am
post #4 of 10

Thanks to both of you!!! I do dry brush it on, but sometimes it seems like I may have a bit more in one spot than another and my icing could be kind of moist or something..... I appreciate the responses!!!

chanelsmimi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chanelsmimi Posted 26 Oct 2008 , 4:08am
post #5 of 10

I'm a newbie as well and the luster dust seems cool. I would like to try it on the grand daughters cake. Can it be used with fondant? Prob a dumb question

kbw5780 Posted 26 Oct 2008 , 5:48pm
post #6 of 10

No question is a dumb question!!! How you gonna know if you don't ask?? I probably ask some crazy ones on here! LOL....Anyway, yes, you can use it on fondant or crusting buttercream. I have never used on the buttercream, but I have read on here that you can. I use on fondant ALL of the time. I love that stuff!!!!

chanelsmimi Posted 27 Oct 2008 , 1:55am
post #7 of 10

thanks kristen. I appreciate it. I just hope my very first cake turns out ok. LOL. By any chance would you mind explaining crumb coating to me. I keep seeing it referred to on here but I dont know what it is. I asked in a different forum but no response yet.

jenlg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenlg Posted 27 Oct 2008 , 2:16am
post #8 of 10

Crumb coating is your first layer of icing you put on thin to ''lock in the crumbs'', then let it crust a little. After that you go back and icing the cake, no crumbs come through.

SUUMEME Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SUUMEME Posted 27 Oct 2008 , 2:17am
post #9 of 10

Think of the crumb coat as a peticoat under a dress, it's a thin layer of frosting, (not meant to be pretty) that you spread over the cake to catch the crumbs, and even out any flaws or cracks or gaping holes.

chanelsmimi Posted 5 Nov 2008 , 1:15am
post #10 of 10

thanks so much. I'm sorry it took me so long to reply. I'm still learning the website and I couldnt find any replies. LOL. I thought I didnt get any responses. Ooops. Sorry. But thanks. I'm working on it now. Wish me luck!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%