10.24.08 Friday Night Cake Club

Decorating By leah_s Updated 26 Oct 2008 , 5:42pm by BlueDevil

tdybear1978 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tdybear1978 Posted 25 Oct 2008 , 7:12am
post #61 of 68

anyone else still out there? I only have a full sheet cake and a 1/4 sheet cake left to do for my "regulars" and I am getting started now on icing my 4-tier hexagon wedding cake whewww i am tired

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 25 Oct 2008 , 11:28am
post #62 of 68

About the leaves: yes I print them on wafer paper, so yes the paper goes right on the cake. They're edible. And yes, I suspect the leaves are exactly the same technique as the butterflies.

Happy morning to everyone!

mommy_of_3_DDs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommy_of_3_DDs Posted 25 Oct 2008 , 1:28pm
post #63 of 68

Sugarshack's icing uses 5.5 cups shortning, 14 TBS liquid ( flavor and coffee creamer) and about 5 pounds powder sugar. So what size mixer do I need to hold all that? I guess I could PM sugarshack and ask...

tdybear1978 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tdybear1978 Posted 25 Oct 2008 , 2:36pm
post #64 of 68

leahs, would you happen to have any pictures with these leaves?

GI Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GI Posted 25 Oct 2008 , 2:43pm
post #65 of 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by mommy_of_3_DDs

Sugarshack's icing uses 5.5 cups shortning, 14 TBS liquid ( flavor and coffee creamer) and about 5 pounds powder sugar. So what size mixer do I need to hold all that? I guess I could PM sugarshack and ask...

Did you find out? I have a 5.0 KA and I don't think it will handle all of it. I tend to weigh out the shortening and then eyeball the sugar/liquid, however. I love Sugarshacks' method of icing.

Question does anyone know: I never use Merinque Powder much any more at all. I just use the coffee creamer in ALL of my liquid. Should I still use some? Am I having a brain fart this morning? icon_lol.gif

mommy_of_3_DDs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommy_of_3_DDs Posted 25 Oct 2008 , 2:58pm
post #66 of 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by GI

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommy_of_3_DDs

Did you find out? I have a 5.0 KA and I don't think it will handle all of it. I tend to weigh out the shortening and then eyeball the sugar/liquid, however. I love Sugarshacks' method of icing.

Question does anyone know: I never use Merinque Powder much any more at all. I just use the coffee creamer in ALL of my liquid. Should I still use some? Am I having a brain fart this morning? icon_lol.gif

Well I just looked up her recipe on here (I usually just follow the video) and it says she uses a 5qt KA and I know from the video that the icing goes almost to the rim... so it looks like 5 is the minumum.

GI Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GI Posted 25 Oct 2008 , 7:28pm
post #67 of 68

thanks Mof3 -- icon_biggrin.gif

BlueDevil Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlueDevil Posted 26 Oct 2008 , 5:42pm
post #68 of 68

Leah,

Here is the cake I mentioned. There are a few things I would do differently, but in general I am very pleased witht he result.

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1280303

Evan

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%