post #1 of 68

is called to order.

Who's up? Whatcha doing?

Anybody need any help?

67 replies
leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 25 Oct 2008 , 2:48am
post #2 of 68

I've got two 3 tier wedding cakes prepped, got to prep a basketball groom's cake, make some muffins for an early guest in the B&B and possibly cast some chocolate, but that may wait until tomorrow.

tdybear1978 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tdybear1978 Posted 25 Oct 2008 , 2:59am
post #3 of 68

hey there, I'm here. Got 11 "regular" cakes and 1 4-tier wedding cake. Hey Leahs, I saw in another post you talking about making leaves on wafer paper - can you tell me how/what you do after you have printed them out? I am doing a "harvest" themed cake for my mother-in-law in a couple of weeks (surprise birthday party) and I really want something special. I have already started making my pumpkins (which I think are pretty cute haha) but my leaves aren't quite coming out how I would like

BlueDevil Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlueDevil Posted 25 Oct 2008 , 3:02am
post #4 of 68

Hey Leah...

I JUST finished a cake for our Halloween party tomorrow night. It is a replica of the cake Laurie did for Cake Atlier on Awesone Wedding Cakes. Man, am I tired. two tier 10" and 6", 4" high each. 40 blood red gumpast roses, and two white chocolate skulls. I also tried out the Sugar veil to make spider webs, which worked out pretty good!

Will post pics later.

G'nite!

E

leah_s Posted 25 Oct 2008 , 3:06am
post #5 of 68

Sure! After printing them, cut them out. Then I take some piping gel and mix in some of the lightest color I'll use (usually yellow). then using a small palette knife, I smear the thinnest coat of colored gel on the right/top side of the leaf, while it's lying on a silpat. I do all the leaves of parts of the leaves I want to be yellow. Then I mix in some orange and do more leaves. Then I mix in red and do more leaves. LASTLY i add brown and finish. the idea of add the color to the gel lightest to darkest is so that I don't have to mix up a bunch of colors and waste the gel. Onelittle container to wash. Basically I'm cheap/frugal.

You can immediately put them on the cake, or leave them on the silpat and put them on later. If you leave the for later, you might have to trim up the gel around the edges of the leaves.

And as you're cutting them out, wiggle your scissors so that the edges look more realistic.

leah_s Posted 25 Oct 2008 , 3:08am
post #6 of 68

Sounds like a cool cake, BlueDevil!

justfrosting Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
justfrosting Posted 25 Oct 2008 , 3:11am
post #7 of 68

I am looking for an apple spice cake recipe if anyone has one. Wanting to pair it with a hot caramel sauce...

MTRICK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MTRICK Posted 25 Oct 2008 , 3:11am
post #8 of 68

New to the club....just finished icing a two tier for tomorrow's halloween themed partay, tired been up since 3:45am and ready to go to bed. just couldn't resist CC. happy decorating. icon_biggrin.gif

mom2spunkynbug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mom2spunkynbug Posted 25 Oct 2008 , 3:12am
post #9 of 68

I'm here...and I need help! I'm sooooooo tiiiiiiiired! In fact...I just started a thread called "I'm so tiiiiiired, I don't wanna bake!" LOL!

I have a 9x13 motocross cake (last minute - "ordered" on Monday, just found out tonight @ 8pm what flavor he wanted) due tomorrow at 3pm. My ds is also invited to this party. But we have basketball tryouts at 8am & I'm not sure how long that lasts. OH, AND we have to return the gift I bought for ds's friend, 'cause ds doesn't want to give him what I picked out icon_rolleyes.gif

I just really really really really really really really want to go to bed right now! My whole BODY is just so uncomfortable right now it's dying to be lying down in a nice comfy bed!!! icon_cry.gif

My kids were watching some Halloween movie, but they're crashed out on the couch now!

And I'm stalling on the computer!

I guess it's time for Mad Dog - he's an overnight DJ on a classic rock station on the radio. *yawn*

weefoot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
weefoot Posted 25 Oct 2008 , 3:12am
post #10 of 68

I'm here. Working on a wedding cake for tomorrow. I am sooooo behind. Haven't iced yet. Still have a cake in the oven. I hate this cake!!!!! Forgot to get butterflies. Gumpaste flower did not turn out. I will have to use fresh flowers. The cake is a four tier on pillars with the wilton ball separators. Bottom square 16" then 14" round, 10" square, 8" round. What was I thinking. Also supposed to make a full sheet cake and forgot a box mix. I also promised a 6" for them to take home. Wedding is at 3:00 tomorrow. I don't want to be up until 6:00 am. I only got 4 hours sleep last night. Sorry to whine. Hope everybody gets done.

Leahs, thanks so much for posting this every Friday. I look forward to it every week. It's comforting to know that I'm not the only one up and everyone is pulling for everyone else.

leah_s Posted 25 Oct 2008 , 3:13am
post #11 of 68

Coffee? Cola? Red Bull?

Molly2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Molly2 Posted 25 Oct 2008 , 3:14am
post #12 of 68

Iâm working on a Volleyball Themed cake for a local High School girls team, end of season Banquet it will have a editable image team picture on top of a double layer sheet cake (WASC) with a 3d Volleyball (pound cake) and a whistle made out of fondant air brushed in silver, with white chocolate volleyballs and a player made out of sugar clay.

Molly

tdybear1978 Posted 25 Oct 2008 , 3:14am
post #13 of 68

why do you put the gel on the right/top side for, what is the purpose of the gel? is it just to stick it on the cake? do you have any pics of these?

leah_s Posted 25 Oct 2008 , 3:15am
post #14 of 68

I'm waiting up for a guest to get back to our B&B. I normally don't wait up for people, but she's walking alone from downtown. Being Consertive Jewish, she can not accept a ride or pay for a bus or taxi tonight (Sabbath.) She is worrying the dickens out of me.

mom2spunkynbug Posted 25 Oct 2008 , 3:15am
post #15 of 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by justfrosting

I am looking for an apple spice cake recipe if anyone has one. Wanting to pair it with a hot caramel sauce...

Hey I'll trade ya the cake recipe if you tell me how you do the hot caramel sauce & how you apply it to the cake!! thumbs_up.gif

TJCanadian Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TJCanadian Posted 25 Oct 2008 , 3:16am
post #16 of 68

I'm up, I've procrastinated long enough, I have 4 cakes for tomorrow, a 2 tier topsy turvy in navy and white, a small square football field cake with Eddie Royal and the birthday boy, a round with a pirate theme (and a pirate fondant figure the birthday boy can keep so that he doesn't throw another fit this year and make mom put the cake in the freezer and not cut it all year), and a small round cake with naughty marine girls on it icon_smile.gif

leah_s Posted 25 Oct 2008 , 3:17am
post #17 of 68

The gel intensifies the color, and makes them pliable. I can bend them over the edges of tiers. The gel also keeps them from curling.

PinkZiab Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PinkZiab Posted 25 Oct 2008 , 3:18am
post #18 of 68

Only 11:15 and we're already on page 2? Nothing for me tonight... had a few small orders this week but they're done... I'm taking off to Delaware tomorrow to see my boyfriend and celebrate my birthday a few days early icon_biggrin.gif

Howiesmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Howiesmom Posted 25 Oct 2008 , 3:18am
post #19 of 68

I'm here...I'm always here on Friday nights but forget to post. Let's see...I've already done 8 cakes today. I have two more to go. These two are not due until Sunday but I'd rather get them done and not have to think about anymore cakes for the weekend. I think they'll be pretty easy...camouflage...both for the same lady...1/2 and a 1/4.

aligotmatt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aligotmatt Posted 25 Oct 2008 , 3:21am
post #20 of 68

I have 300 cupcakes doe party favors for tomorrow, boxed and tagged. just finished up.

I ordered my boxes from uline.com they have a food safe section, 4x4x4 white boxes $16 for 100 boxes! And Ididn't pay extra shipping and they came in 2 days.

mom2spunkynbug Posted 25 Oct 2008 , 3:23am
post #21 of 68

I'll take some Pepsi!!!

Although I'm not supposed to have caffeine, because I have these stupid heart palipitations (sp?).

I keep finding stuff to watch on tv!!! What Not To Wear is on and I haven't seen this show in AGES!!!

icon_cry.gif

Ok...I'm gonna go get started..... thumbsdown.gif

leah_s Posted 25 Oct 2008 , 3:23am
post #22 of 68

Other than Pink and me, it sounds like everyone's very busy! This was a weird week for me. One wedding cake on Friday (today) and two on Sunday. None on Saturday. I won't know what to do with myself tomorrow afternoon with no deliveries. I've checked my schedule about 5839034967 times, cause this never happens.

mommy_of_3_DDs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommy_of_3_DDs Posted 25 Oct 2008 , 3:25am
post #23 of 68

I just wanted to share my Aphrodite sculpture... She will be going on top of a cake that looks like foamy water to represent the birth of Aphrodite from Antiquity but I am giving her a more modern vibe! First fondant figures of human form!

leah_s Posted 25 Oct 2008 , 3:25am
post #24 of 68

oooo Ali, good info on the boxes! Great price.

Spunky, after What Not to Wear, which I watch every Friday night, you may get Say Yes to the Dress. We must be in different time zones.

crazymommyof3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crazymommyof3 Posted 25 Oct 2008 , 3:25am
post #25 of 68

Hey, I'm here tonight! I am making a 3 tiered lemon cake with raspberry filling and royal icing pansies for my husband's grandma's 89th birthday on Sunday. The catch is I have to make the cakes and frosting, transport them 3 hours away, go to a wedding, frost the cakes, go to the reception and dance, get up at the butt crack of dawn on Sunday and decorate the cake and then transport it to the brunch. PLUS! My MIL paid me a WHoPPING $50 for this cake to serve 40 people. After all supplies, I made a $10 profit! And 12+ hours of work later.....is....$1.20/hour! >icon_razz.gif It's for Grandma tho, right? It's all worth it if it makes her happy....icon_smile.gif

Sweettooth1120 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sweettooth1120 Posted 25 Oct 2008 , 3:28am
post #26 of 68

I'm here. Just working on one cake but its for sunday. I have heaps to do tomorrow so i figured get it baked and I can decorate tomorrow. I went to bed at 3:00 am and got up at 7:00 so I am bushed.

I would love the apple spice cake recipe too. Can you use BC & fondant on it. In a few weeks I am making an apple basket cake and would love the recipe for that.

tdybear1978 Posted 25 Oct 2008 , 3:28am
post #27 of 68

okay, sorry if I just keep repeating - but why only at the top on the front of the leaf?

mom2spunkynbug Posted 25 Oct 2008 , 3:29am
post #28 of 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazymommyof3

And 12+ hours of work later.....is....$1.20/hour! >icon_razz.gif It's for Grandma tho, right? It's all worth it if it makes her happy....icon_smile.gif

LOL!!! That reminds me of Napoleon Dynamite....after he gets paid in change from the farmer and he says "Six dollars?! That's like....a dollar an hour!!" icon_biggrin.gif

Sorry, but yeah...it's for his grammy, so... icon_smile.gif She will love it I bet.

mom2spunkynbug Posted 25 Oct 2008 , 3:31am
post #29 of 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by leahs

oooo Ali, good info on the boxes! Great price.

Spunky, after What Not to Wear, which I watch every Friday night, you may get Say Yes to the Dress. We must be in different time zones.

Oh man, I better just shut the tv off now! I haven't seen that show, but I've heard about it - I'd be glued to the tv!!! Right now it's 11:30 where I am.

pinkbox Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pinkbox Posted 25 Oct 2008 , 3:43am
post #30 of 68

Hellllooooo ladies and any gents peeking.

Its Friday... working.. not on a c ake...though I did one earlier today. A coach purse that came out great... just the handle broke... grrr... but luckily it broke in a place where it just looked like a shorter strap. (my first "stand up" strap)...

the lady asked me yesterday to model it after her purse.. so I really didnt allot it enough time to dry.

Lesson learned icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%