Cake Makers- How Much Do You Make An Hour

Decorating By buttercreammgt Updated 27 Oct 2008 , 9:26pm by aligotmatt

buttercreammgt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
buttercreammgt Posted 25 Oct 2008 , 12:12am
post #1 of 6

After figuring out what I spend on mixes frosting ect. and time I figured out I make around 10$ an hour. I was just wondering what others made after they crunched numbers.

5 replies
bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 25 Oct 2008 , 12:31am
post #2 of 6

In my area they make between $12 and $16 per hour. That's what the bakeries and grocery stores pay.

aligotmatt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aligotmatt Posted 25 Oct 2008 , 12:37am
post #3 of 6

I pay myself $22/hr

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 25 Oct 2008 , 1:45am
post #4 of 6

I end up with $40-$60/hour on cakes and over $100/hour on caterings. Before you think I charge an arm and a leg, I'm considered one of the less expensive cakers in this area. The key is productivity..... the fewer hours it takes, the more I make on the hour. The more cakes you make IN the hour, the more you make ON the hour.

So this question depends on a LOT of various factors .... regular or convection oven? .... do you have to bake only 1 or 2 layers at a time, or can you bake 12 layers at a time? Home or Commercial kitchen? .... do you have the space to really set up an assembly line to get them done faster? One cake order at a time or do you accept more than one cake order for the same day? 20 qt mixer where you can make 15-20 lbs of icing at a time? Or a 5qt KA where you have to make 8-10 separate batches of icing?

For instance ... this weekend I have 2 wedding cakes and a groom's cake. There are 4 different flavors of cakes involved. I had all 14 (single layer) cakes mixed, baked and in the freezer inside of 3 hours. In my home kitchen, that would have taken me somewhere between 7 and 10 hours.

So the question of "how much do you make?" doesn't really have a simple answer until you factor in all the different variables and production conditions that folks work under.

sari66 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sari66 Posted 27 Oct 2008 , 9:12pm
post #5 of 6

I agree with Debi, it all comes down to productivity and other factors

aligotmatt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aligotmatt Posted 27 Oct 2008 , 9:26pm
post #6 of 6

I don't pay myself all of my profits every week... I have multiple bank accounts and I pay myself an hourly rate. The remaining profit for the week stays in the cake account and gets used for advertisement, new equipment... Last week I would have made $100 per hour if I took it all out, but I left a lot in to supplement other expenses.

I used to take all of my profits as my hourly, so sometimes I made $45, sometimes $28... And then I needed new pans and other stuff and I had to pay for it. So I started running myself like a business, so my business that I own pays me by the hour. I do get bonus checks once in a while icon_wink.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%