cylstrial Posted 24 Oct 2008 , 11:31pm
post #1 of 7

What do you use to paint fondant?

Thanks!

6 replies
leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 25 Oct 2008 , 12:17am
post #2 of 7

I make "paint" from clear alcohol and gel or powdered color. Alcohol can be anything clear - extracts, everclear, etc.

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 25 Oct 2008 , 12:30am
post #3 of 7

I use lustre dust mixed with either vodka or lemon extract (both of which have a high alcohol content which allows them to evaporate quickly.) I like the Vodka better because the lemon leaves a weird smell and taste behind, where there is none of that with the Vodka (not to mention the fact that decorating cakes can be VERY stressful and we all need something medicinal to calm the nerves, right? icon_wink.gif ) icon_lol.gif

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 25 Oct 2008 , 12:34am
post #4 of 7

LOL -- thank you both so much! Great information!!

aligotmatt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aligotmatt Posted 25 Oct 2008 , 12:38am
post #5 of 7

vodka with gel or petal dust here too.

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 25 Oct 2008 , 12:38am
post #6 of 7

Another little tip is to use an eyedropper and put some lustre dust on one side of the plate then squeeze some alcohol onto the other side of the plate (not into the lustre dust) and mix gently in the center with your brush. I don't understand why this works so well, it just does! You'll need to add more liquid accordingly but it gives you a much better overall finished product rather than when you add the liquid to the lustre dust directly. (I hope that made sense!) icon_biggrin.gif

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 25 Oct 2008 , 4:28pm
post #7 of 7

It makes sense bobwonderbuns! Thank you!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%