Color Flow

Decorating By dogwood Updated 27 Oct 2008 , 1:06pm by dogwood

dogwood Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dogwood Posted 24 Oct 2008 , 6:33pm
post #1 of 14

I am thinking about doing some characters/items for the top of my cake with color flow. My question is, Does color flow get stiff enough for me to do on parchment paper first and then move to my cake? Also, I've never done color flow so any tips/info would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Elaine

13 replies
dogwood Posted 24 Oct 2008 , 7:53pm
post #2 of 14

Bump

redpanda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
redpanda Posted 24 Oct 2008 , 8:18pm
post #3 of 14

Color flow (or Royal icing runout) results in hard pieces that actually must be moved from the parchment to the cake. The important thing is to make them enough in advance that they have time to completely dry before removing from the parchment. I have noticed that if a piece is sticking, it usually means that it isn't dry all the way yet. (I have very carefully turned the pieces over, supported by a cutting board, and then gently tapped the underside (through the parchment. When it was sticking, it was also still a bit soft.)

dogwood Posted 24 Oct 2008 , 8:33pm
post #4 of 14

Thank you redpanda that'w what I needed to know. icon_smile.gif

__Jamie__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Jamie__ Posted 24 Oct 2008 , 8:51pm
post #5 of 14

Man, do those little suckers get hard! I have RI dots I made in various sizes from a long time ago that I still take out of the tackle box and use! Very handy to keep stocked!

dogwood Posted 24 Oct 2008 , 8:58pm
post #6 of 14

I'm a little confused. I found a recipe on this site that says "Glaze for Color Flow items" but the directions read like it is the color flow. However, it's not made like RI it just has Powdered Sugar, water, corn syrup and flavoring. Is this what I should use or should I make up some RI and thin it out?

__Jamie__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Jamie__ Posted 24 Oct 2008 , 9:00pm
post #7 of 14

I have only ever used the Royal Icing recipe on the back of the Wilton powdered meringue can. I haven't tried the color flow recipe, I just add color to the RI, and thin it/thick it as I see necessary!

dogwood Posted 24 Oct 2008 , 9:01pm
post #8 of 14

Ok, I'll try that. Thanks!

dogwood Posted 24 Oct 2008 , 9:02pm
post #9 of 14

Ok, I'll try that. Thanks!

paula1234 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
paula1234 Posted 24 Oct 2008 , 9:17pm
post #10 of 14

I use color flow all the time. I do not buy the wilton color flow mix because if I am not mistaken it is about the same as the meringue powder. I found this recipe in the book confetti cakes, which I can't remeber off the top of my head who is by. This recipe calls for 1/3 cup of pasturized egg whites, 1 pound of powdered sugar and 1/2 tsp of lemon juice. what I do is put the egg whites in the mixer with the paddle attachment and beat until frothy. then I gradually add the powdered sugar. I usually only go to speed 3 on my kitchen aid mixer. I then add the lemon juice and beat for a couple of more minutes. The mixture will be stiff. I outline everything in the stiff mixture. when I flood every thing in, I add water, a couple of drops at a time to get the thin consistency that I want. I put my color flow mixture in disposable bags. I usually use a tip #1 or# 2 to flood everything in. I also make several of the picture I am makeing, allowing for breakage, start maybe a week befor you need them. This will give you plenty of time to let the pieces dry. I usually remove my with a wide metal putty knife that i bought at home depot. just remember to keep grease away from your pieces, as this will break them down. attach your pieces with the stiffened colorflow. hope this helps. sorry i don't have any pictures in my gallery. i am working on that.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 25 Oct 2008 , 1:57am
post #11 of 14

Forget the parchment paper or wax paper and make your colorflow piece on plastic wrap == you will have much less breakage.

bathoryjones Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bathoryjones Posted 25 Oct 2008 , 3:06am
post #12 of 14

I use color flow ideas too. I have purchased the actual color flow powder from Wilton but you really don't need it. You can use regular RI and thin it down with water until it "melts" together in a count of 10 when you drop icing into your bowl. It gets hard enough to move and pick up once dries all the way. I like it because you can do it in advance and save some time.

bathoryjones Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bathoryjones Posted 25 Oct 2008 , 3:07am
post #13 of 14

I use color flow ideas too. I have purchased the actual color flow powder from Wilton but you really don't need it. You can use regular RI and thin it down with water until it "melts" together in a count of 10 when you drop icing into your bowl. It gets hard enough to move and pick up once dries all the way. I like it because you can do it in advance and save some time.

dogwood Posted 27 Oct 2008 , 1:06pm
post #14 of 14

Thanks for all the tips everyone! It has taken me a while to get back with you on this because I have been out of town for a couple of days. Once again I thank you for your help. I will try to get started on this in the next couple of nights. The cake is going to be picked up on November 8.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%