Newbie (Kind Of) Question

Decorating By DoreenAG Updated 24 Oct 2008 , 7:48pm by mixinvixen

DoreenAG Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DoreenAG Posted 24 Oct 2008 , 5:31pm
post #1 of 3

I started making shaped Wilton cakes, and I'm not great, but good enough that people ask for them.

My dilemma:

I need to make Jack-O-Lantern cakes for my kids first grade classrooms (I have 3 1st graders through various miracles)

Anyway, I'd love to make them all spice cakes, but have NEVER ventured away from the pre-packaged Wilton icing. I would like to make them with cream cheese frosting that will hold the colors (black, green & orange). Is this possible? Or is it so simple that someone's shaking their head going "that girl needs a whack on the side of her head"?

2 replies
UltimateCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
UltimateCakes Posted 24 Oct 2008 , 7:45pm
post #2 of 3

You could do a search for 'cream cheese icing' and red some of the older posts in the forums. This may give you an idea of what you can and cannot do with it. HTH icon_biggrin.gif

mixinvixen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mixinvixen Posted 24 Oct 2008 , 7:48pm
post #3 of 3

cream cheese icing is almost all i work with...i just finished a spice cake with this icing last night, and am right now waiting for the client to come pick it up. in my opinion, that really is the best tasting combo for most cakes, but especially spice. i just added a spice combo into the cream cheese, so it had a taste of fall also. check out the recipe here that is under "crusting cream cheese".

orange and white icings=spiced cream cheese
green icing= royal icing
i used a pumpkin kit that i found at walmart that opened like a clamshell and had a kit inside that has foam pieces to turn a pumpkin into a kitty cat. you could use any plastic pumpkin though since you're forming the gumpaste around it.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%