Anyone Know A Corn Syrup Substitute For Candy Corn?

Sugar Work By CeeTee Updated 24 Oct 2008 , 8:30am by banba

CeeTee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CeeTee Posted 24 Oct 2008 , 7:10am
post #1 of 2

My boyfriend is a huge fan of candy corn, but he is allergic to corn products, especially corn syrup. Needless to say, he doesn't get to have it very often (he sneaks the occasional piece and pays for it later)

I found a recipe online for homemade vegan candy corn, but it calls for white corn syrup. I'd heard that candy corn was originally made with honey, but I don't know if I could use it as a substitute and still get results.

Anyone know of a good corn syrup substitute that will work for candy making? I tried using the search feature but it didn't give me any results.

Thanks so much!

1 reply
banba Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
banba Posted 24 Oct 2008 , 8:30am
post #2 of 2

You could use the honey which would give quite a distinct flavour to the candy. Honey also tends to soften candy as it seems to attract moisture.

I cannot get cornsyrup here but have had great results in some boiled syrup recipes using golden syrup instead and it does not change the taste to the same degree that honey would.

You could also use rice syrup or barley malt syrup.

Finally you could also just use a simple boiled sugar syrup. Just boil water and sugar together, amounts are not very important as all you want to do is boil the water content out of the sugar to create a syrup.

The higher the temp when boiling the harder your syrup will set. The more water you use the longer it will take to boil it out.

Cornsyrup is used in candy to stop the sugar from crystalizing when it turns liquid and the above syrups will do the same thing.

I have tried using cornsyrup substitutes in homemade fondant and had no success with that but in boiled sugar syrups they are fine.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%