Using A Picture Frame As A Cake Topper

Decorating By TracisCreations1 Updated 24 Oct 2008 , 5:30pm by trumpetmidget

TracisCreations1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TracisCreations1 Posted 24 Oct 2008 , 3:43am
post #1 of 5

Has anyone ever used a picture frame as a cake topper? I'm planning on making my parents a wedding cake for their anniversary party and I want to use an old picture of them instead of a topper. I bought a clear plastic frame (4x6). Not sure if fondant will stick to it or what to use to jazz it up. Any suggestions???? PLEASE HELP!!! If anyone has done this before can you please email me a picture at: [email protected]
Thank you. icon_confused.gif

4 replies
GI Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GI Posted 24 Oct 2008 , 3:55am
post #2 of 5

What if you used a small (very small) cake plate/plastic and set the frame up...like a what, 5x7" or smaller? Stood it up like you would on their mantel. Then pipe an edge around the plate to hide the edge of where the plate/cake meet up. Perhaps include a few flowers in the decoration. Waa-laa! Perfect, simple, understated!

They would love their own photo, too, I'll bet! icon_smile.gif

archanac Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
archanac Posted 24 Oct 2008 , 4:43pm
post #3 of 5

Pastry chef has a neat looking chocolate mold for a picture frame and stand. Maybe you can adhere a copy of the photo to the chocolate--or better yet, get Wal-mart to make an edible image of the photo and adhere it to the chocolate.

Here's a link to the product:
http://www.pastrychef.com/CHOCOLATE-MOLD--PICTURE-FRAME-STAND_p_33-1393.html

Daisy1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Daisy1 Posted 24 Oct 2008 , 5:27pm
post #4 of 5

I did a groom's cake where I made gumpaste pictures frames, painted them gold, and added pictures to them like real frames. I used pictures from the groom's life and topped with their engagement picture in a heart frame. I added it to my photo gallery so you can see it. Sorry, it's only a sepia picture but you still get the idea.

trumpetmidget Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
trumpetmidget Posted 24 Oct 2008 , 5:30pm
post #5 of 5

I haven't done it yet, but will be doing it tomorrow. I am just using a silver frame the bride gave me that is a 2"x3" frame with a picture of her and her fiance in it. I am just going to put it on top of the cake and have a few small gumpaste flowers on either side. It will really go well with the cake because the stand and the pillars are all silver. Hope this gives you some ideas!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%