The Best Way To Ice A Carved Cake...

Decorating By tugboat Updated 25 Oct 2008 , 1:49am by Parable

tugboat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tugboat Posted 24 Oct 2008 , 3:27am
post #1 of 8

that has several thin pieces to it. I am making a Chinese throwing star cake and it has 8 thin points to it and I need to know the best way to get in the corners of each point. Does anyone have any ideas? I'm afraid they are going to break...here is a pic of what I am trying to make...
LL

7 replies
tugboat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tugboat Posted 24 Oct 2008 , 4:24am
post #2 of 8

Can anyone help me??

Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 24 Oct 2008 , 2:21pm
post #3 of 8

I would use the big icing tip - even with that it may be tough to get into those small spaces.....maybe the taped spatula after the icing tip......? Good luck!

Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 24 Oct 2008 , 2:24pm
post #4 of 8

I would use the big icing tip - even with that it may be tough to get into those small spaces.....maybe the taped spatula after the icing tip......? Good luck!

mamacc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamacc Posted 24 Oct 2008 , 2:24pm
post #5 of 8

Ice it with a large basketweave tip...you use it just like the big cake icer tip but it's smaller and easier to maneuver.

Cookie4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cookie4 Posted 24 Oct 2008 , 2:45pm
post #6 of 8

You know, sometimes we just get way too technical about all this cake stuff. May I suggest you use your fingers (either with or without a glove on) and scoop a little icing onto one finger and delicately cover the corners that you are worried about. After the icing crusts you can smooth with the Viva paper towel technique.

Somethin-Sweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Somethin-Sweet Posted 25 Oct 2008 , 1:38am
post #7 of 8

My suggestion would be to definately have the cake cold-maybe even slightly frozen..........makes it much easier to ice and get sharp corners. If needed, put it back into the freezer after you are done and shape with your fingers. I work mainly with fondant- and I decorate all of my cakes cold........Hope this helps!

Parable Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Parable Posted 25 Oct 2008 , 1:49am
post #8 of 8

I would crumb coat with very thin icing and then chill until firm. Then you should be able to coat with thicker icing.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%