Help!

Decorating By sari66 Updated 5 Nov 2008 , 5:44pm by handymama

sari66 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sari66 Posted 24 Oct 2008 , 12:40am
post #1 of 8

I covered a cake in fondant (not my fav) and it's got wrinkles at the bottom icon_mad.gif !! So my question is can I reuse it once I rip it off the cake? And how do i not get the wrinkles? the top and sided looked good icon_smile.gif
TIA

7 replies
banba Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
banba Posted 24 Oct 2008 , 12:55am
post #2 of 8

You can reuse the fondant if it is "clean" like no buttercream and crumbs showing when you straighten it out again and if the fondant has not set up a bit.

If the wrinkles are at the bottom this would suggest to me that either your fondant was soft and sagged or was too heavy or maybe the cake didn't have time to rest before putting the fondant on?

It could be a number of different things really but given that the top and sides looked good it could be just fondant troubles?

Sorry I can't be of anymore help

handymama Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
handymama Posted 24 Oct 2008 , 12:55am
post #3 of 8

Yes, you can reuse it. If icing comes off on the fondant scrape it off or tear off that piece of fondant. Make sure there are no crumbs in the fondant. Add some more fondant, knead, then roll it out again. If your wrinkles are vertical you probably aren't smoothing the bulky areas correctly. Hold the bottom of the fondant out away from the base of the cake and gently smooth it to the cake. If the wrinkles are horizontal it may be soft and sagging, not adhered well to the cake, or not trimmed correctly.

sari66 Posted 24 Oct 2008 , 1:07am
post #4 of 8

You ladies are awesome!! Handymamma I didn't hold the fondant away at the bottom so that's my issue! I'm off to try again.
Thanks to both of you

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 24 Oct 2008 , 1:24am
post #5 of 8

Put your cake on something smaller than the cake (ie: 8" cake on 6" can) that will elevate it a couple of inches above the table so you can work at the bottom easier. Then do as has been suggestedicon_smile.gif Yu will need to work rather quickly so the weight of the fondant does not pull at the top & tear.

sari66 Posted 24 Oct 2008 , 2:03am
post #6 of 8

Thanks kakeladi. I have to get some more fondant as what was on the cake isn't usable icon_sad.gif it had too much bc on it

handymama Posted 24 Oct 2008 , 2:48am
post #7 of 8

Please be sure to let us know how it turns out!

handymama Posted 5 Nov 2008 , 5:44pm
post #8 of 8

sari66--how'd it go?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%