For Those Who Use Smbc....

Decorating By tamrick Updated 26 Oct 2008 , 2:17am by stephaniescakenj

tamrick Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tamrick Posted 23 Oct 2008 , 11:59pm
post #1 of 7

How thick do you put it on the cake when using fondant? I used it last week under fondant, and it was moving around underneath! I'm thinking maybe I put it too thick, I only used maybe 1/4 ", maybe a little more?? Not good with estimating. icon_confused.gif Also, when coloring the SMBC, do you have problems getting the proper color you are trying for? It seems to take alot to color it, and it is still pale looking. Just wondering if I am doing something wrong. I just started using SMBC mostly withing the last month. Oh, and I use wilton get colors.

Tammy

6 replies
melysa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melysa Posted 24 Oct 2008 , 12:14am
post #2 of 7

do you chill the frosted cake before putting on the fondant? with smbc or imbc, that is the best thing to do. it firms up like butter. i have no problem putting it on quite generously and still retaining nice sharp corners and edges when its chilled properly.

the recipe i use calls for alot of vanilla...so naturally with that in addition to the butter, it has an ivory color. it is harder to get colors as vibrant as when you start with a white frosting (ie: shortening "butter"cream) . i use wilton and americolor.

tamrick Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tamrick Posted 24 Oct 2008 , 12:35am
post #3 of 7

Ok, thanks, I must not have chilled it long enough... So for the coloring, you just add more color? I've only used white buttercream previously, so I've never had to deal with this before, lol

melysa Posted 24 Oct 2008 , 2:03am
post #4 of 7

you really do have to play with the colors a bit more to acheive the one you want. if you have a color wheel, that can be helpful...seeing which colors to mix to get a certain shade or color. but yeah, its definately not as precise a match as when you're starting with a white frosting. ok by me though, it tastes so much better.

-Tubbs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-Tubbs Posted 24 Oct 2008 , 4:05am
post #5 of 7

Definitely adding a touch of violet can offset the butter-yellow colour. I have just started using SMBC and really love the texture. It's so smooth, specially because my BC always seem to be grainy, no matter how long I mix it.

melysa Posted 26 Oct 2008 , 1:59am
post #6 of 7

good tip, i had forgotten about the violet canceling out the yellow. its true! just a bit though.

stephaniescakenj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stephaniescakenj Posted 26 Oct 2008 , 2:17am
post #7 of 7

I had no idea you could add violet to it! Thanks for the tip. I don't usually notice it's not white until I put something white near it, then it drives me nuts! The taste is unbeatable though.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%