Need Help With Pricing! Please Help!

Decorating By Kaiah723 Updated 23 Oct 2008 , 7:38pm by -K8memphis

Kaiah723 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kaiah723 Posted 23 Oct 2008 , 7:30pm
post #1 of 2

So this girl I sorta know sends me an email asking me if I will do a 1st b-day cake for her daughter's 1st b-day which isnt until april. But she is just trying to get ideas together. She wants a 3 tier round cake (probably 12in 10in 8in ) covered with fondant. She also wants butterflies on the cake. I know I have a while until this cake has to be done and we are not 100% on EXACTLY what is going to be where and what not but she is asking me what I charge for something like that. Now, I do cakes usually just for family and/or friends and usually they are not as elaborate as this one will be. I do not know what I should tell her as a price. I know I will charge her for whatever it costs me to get all things needed but I do not want to charge her a whole lot as she is a friend. So if anyone out there can help me by just giving me a "guestimate" of what you would charge for a cake like this it would help me so much to get an idea of what I should tell her. I know this was kind of long so thank you for reading all of it and thanks in advance for any help!! icon_biggrin.gif

1 reply
-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 23 Oct 2008 , 7:38pm
post #2 of 2

I took a jewelry-making class once and we were given access to trade catalogs including the great prices and we were admonished to never underprice our wares. Never. It is not fair they taught us to pull the rug out from under legitimate merchants who need to make the payroll and pay the overhead and make their living selling jewelry.

So a cake like you are describing should start at about $4 a serving to be fair.

Friends don't let friends underprice. thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%