Advice From The "mini" Makers Out There! ;)

Decorating By muddpuppy Updated 23 Oct 2008 , 10:47am by indydebi

muddpuppy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
muddpuppy Posted 22 Oct 2008 , 6:40pm
post #1 of 17

Hi all!! I have 150 single layer minis to do for a friends wedding and I was just wondering if anyone had some tips or tricks for me to help it go a little faster...should I invest in a multi mini pan or just cut up a sheet cake? Should I torte and fill them or maybe try to inject them like a donut? I'll be covering each one with fondant and I'm thinking it will take forever!!! Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks again!!!

16 replies
PinkZiab Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PinkZiab Posted 22 Oct 2008 , 7:30pm
post #2 of 17

I prefer to cut them from a sheet pan, but the only good advice I can give you is, don't charge less than $20-25 each!

xstitcher Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
xstitcher Posted 22 Oct 2008 , 7:52pm
post #3 of 17

I'd say cut them from a sheet pan too using like a cake ring or something like that! What size are these going to be?

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 22 Oct 2008 , 7:53pm
post #4 of 17

If you're going to tort them I would tort a sheet and then cut them from that.

xstitcher Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
xstitcher Posted 22 Oct 2008 , 7:58pm
post #5 of 17

[quote="tiggy2"]If you're going to tort them I would tort a sheet and then cut them from that.[/quote

Great idea! That would make it sooooo much easier! thumbs_up.gif

antonia74 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
antonia74 Posted 22 Oct 2008 , 8:06pm
post #6 of 17

Yup, we cut ours from a sheet pan with square or round cookie cutters, fill the two layers, ice with a crumb-coat of IMBC and then semi-freeze them for an hour or two before the fondant goes on. (Makes for a much firmer/sturdier cake to fondant perfectly smooth!! icon_smile.gif )

Get ready....these take MUCH longer to do than you'd think. icon_sad.gif

chutzpah Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chutzpah Posted 22 Oct 2008 , 8:12pm
post #7 of 17

start now.

janine1972 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
janine1972 Posted 22 Oct 2008 , 8:15pm
post #8 of 17

Hi, the advice here is awesome!!
When i make mini cakes, i bake them in individual little tins - no, i didnt buy a bunch - lol i use our tomato paste tins to bake in - lol
and they are easy to work with, we dont torte and fill them here
i freeze mine, then put a thin coating of b.c, roll my fondant through my pasta machine and use cookie cutters to cut the right size fondant pieces, then start icing

it goes a lot faster, if you cut out a bunch of fondant circles, layer them with plastic and keep covered while working - saves a bit of time and frustration - lol

hope this also helps!

kelleym Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kelleym Posted 22 Oct 2008 , 8:18pm
post #9 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by chutzpah

He who sacrifices freedom for liberty deserves neither.

I don't understand. Freedom and liberty are synonyms. How can you sacrifice one for the other?

chutzpah Posted 22 Oct 2008 , 8:22pm
post #10 of 17

Thanks for the heads up.... I think I had a brainfart when I wrote that quote...

He who gives up freedom for safety deserves neither.

My thanks to Ben.

Deb_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deb_ Posted 22 Oct 2008 , 8:35pm
post #11 of 17

I hope you have help for these minis, 150 is a LOT! I did these for one of my nieces a few years ago and it was SO much more work than I anticipated. I was trying to get each and every one of them exactly the same (I'm OCD sometimes).

I have another niece that just became engaged and the last time I saw her she said "Auntie, remember those mini............." STOP RIGHT THERE I TOLD HER, NEVER AGAIN WILL I MAKE THOSE FOR FREE!!!! The poor girl nearly wet herself icon_lol.gif

Anywho..............I made sheet cakes, filled them, than cut them out. I tried a poured fondant and that was a nightmare, so I decided to do a poured icing (like a white chocolate ganache) this worked much better and was quicker than fondant for me. It also gave a nice smooth finish.

I suggest playing around with some samples to see what works best for you. I started a few weeks ahead, baked, filled and cut them out and froze them until I was ready to ice and decorate.

God Bless You with the patience you'll need to make 150 of these babies, have a bottle of wine handy, it helps. icon_razz.gif

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 22 Oct 2008 , 9:02pm
post #12 of 17
Quote:

Thanks for the heads up.... I think I had a brainfart when I wrote that quote...

He who gives up freedom for safety deserves neither.

My thanks to Ben.

Actually, it's:

'Those who would sacrifice freedom for security deserve neither'
.... Benjamin Franklin

And yeah I agree on the $20-$25 each for these things.

muddpuppy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
muddpuppy Posted 23 Oct 2008 , 2:48am
post #13 of 17

Thanks everyone for the awesome advice!! I definatley will start super early and freeze them! Any size suggestions??

Thanks again!!

chutzpah Posted 23 Oct 2008 , 4:17am
post #14 of 17

Actually the original quote from Ben Franklin reads as such, as I learned it in third grade (I did a report on Ben Franklin).......

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

I've used one of the many popular paraphrased versions.

antonia74 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
antonia74 Posted 23 Oct 2008 , 4:21am
post #15 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by muddpuppy

Thanks everyone for the awesome advice!! I definatley will start super early and freeze them! Any size suggestions??

Thanks again!!

about 2.5" to 3" is actually a very generous single portion once it's layered, filled and iced IMHO

PinkZiab Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PinkZiab Posted 23 Oct 2008 , 4:26am
post #16 of 17

Oh that $20-25 would be MINIMUM charge. When I interned at Pink Cake Box she charged $35 each, I believe.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 23 Oct 2008 , 10:47am
post #17 of 17
Quote:

Actually the original quote from Ben Franklin reads as such, as I learned it in third grade (I did a report on Ben Franklin).......

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

I've used one of the many popular paraphrased versions.

I gotta find some better quote resources! My collection will be marred! icon_cry.gifthumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%