Royal Icing...

Decorating By lkoenig07 Updated 27 Oct 2008 , 11:25am by lkoenig07

lkoenig07 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lkoenig07 Posted 22 Oct 2008 , 6:34pm
post #1 of 10

So in class last night we did royal icing flowers. Well, I got to class only to find that my icing was WAY to runny. I'm wondering if anyone knows what I did wrong? I used all metal (bowls, spoons, etc), no grease anywhere. The only thing I can think of was I added too much water maybe, but I added the 6 Tbsp that the Wilton recipe calls for. It was my first time making it, so I'm not surprised I did it wrong. But someone please help so I can fix it! THanks!

9 replies
taxnerd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
taxnerd Posted 22 Oct 2008 , 10:05pm
post #2 of 10

Maybe you just didn't beat it long enough. The recipe I have says to beat for 10 minutes with a stand mixer or 15 minutes with a hand mixer. I know I can see a definite change in mine as time goes on. It starts out really glossy and soupy. By the time 10 minutes are up, it actually looks similar to other types of icing, although it is more stretchy.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 22 Oct 2008 , 10:45pm
post #3 of 10

Yep, most likely you did not b eat it enough. Royal take a lllooooooonnnnnnnggggggggg time icon_smile.gif Definately 10 minutes if you have a hand-held mixer or a low powered one.
When making it in a KA it might be done at about 6 minutes.
If you use very warm water it takes less beating timeicon_smile.gif

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 23 Oct 2008 , 4:07am
post #4 of 10

If it was humid you may have needed to use less water. I always start with less water and add small amounts to bring it all together.

BUTTLE Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BUTTLE Posted 23 Oct 2008 , 6:08am
post #5 of 10

Hi
This is a the recipe I always use, it was given to me by my instructor who
has an MBE and has produced cakes for Royalty in the UK!

15g ( 1/2 ounce ) of dried Albumen
75ml ( 3 floz ) tepid water
500g ( 1lb ) icing sugar.

Mix the dried albumen and water, leave for at least 1/2 hr longer if possible. Pass thru a tea strainer/sieve, then add to the sieved icing sugar. Beat slowly to avoid too much air getting into it! It took me several attempts to get it right! Also I always use Take and Lyle!

BUTTLE Posted 23 Oct 2008 , 6:28am
post #6 of 10

Sorry typo error!
The Icing I like to use is Tate and Lyle not Take and Lyle!!!
Also my tutor was Eddie Spence if you would like to google him, he made the Queen's 50th Wedding anniversary cake!

agroeve Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
agroeve Posted 23 Oct 2008 , 9:36am
post #7 of 10

Hi buttle, Thats the same recipe i use but i use merriwhite instead of albumen. the advantage being you dont have to soak it in water. you just add it to the sugar in the bowl then add your water a teaspoon at a time. That does sound like a lot of water though so maybe you should just make the albumen with 2 oz of water instead then if the mix is a little dry you can always add another teaspoon or two. I mix my icing with a k beater on the slowest setting for about 10-15 mins scraping the bowl every 5 mins. for piping roses it should be stiff peak meaning if you put the back of a spoon into it and lift it should leave an upright standing peak with no bend at the top.
hth

BUTTLE Posted 24 Oct 2008 , 5:44am
post #8 of 10

Hi
It may sound like alot of water but it works every time!
Can't remember why but my wise tutor told us not to use merriwhite, he insists on albumen.
I suppose he's used it since the start of his career and knows his formula well - bless him.
It always works for me now anyway.
x

Wesha Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Wesha Posted 26 Oct 2008 , 2:41am
post #9 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkoenig07

So in class last night we did royal icing flowers. Well, I got to class only to find that my icing was WAY to runny. I'm wondering if anyone knows what I did wrong? I used all metal (bowls, spoons, etc), no grease anywhere. The only thing I can think of was I added too much water maybe, but I added the 6 Tbsp that the Wilton recipe calls for. It was my first time making it, so I'm not surprised I did it wrong. But someone please help so I can fix it! THanks!

It sounds like you did not beat it long enough. The Wilton receipe says that your should beat 7 to 10 minutes or until the shine is gone.

Wesha

lkoenig07 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lkoenig07 Posted 27 Oct 2008 , 11:25am
post #10 of 10

Thanks for all the help!! I tried it again & I think my problem was that I was adding a little too much water & not beating it long enough; but I got it right the 2nd time!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%