How To Make A Martini Glass Cake?

Decorating By sprtd76 Updated 26 Oct 2008 , 4:55pm by CShields

sprtd76 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sprtd76 Posted 22 Oct 2008 , 5:52pm
post #1 of 7

I have been asked to make a cake to look like a martini glass. I would love to do this as a 3D cake, but don't have the first clue how to do this. Does anyone have suggestions on how I can do this 3D instead of a flat cake? I am thinking of using the wondermold pan, but I am not sure how to support it underneath. Any ideas?

Thanks,
Beth

6 replies
sprtd76 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sprtd76 Posted 24 Oct 2008 , 3:15pm
post #2 of 7

Does anyone have any ideas at all?

chovest Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chovest Posted 24 Oct 2008 , 3:31pm
post #3 of 7

I would do the base and stem out of wood and cover it with fondant. (Screw a dowel rod into a wooden circle. You will need to pre-drill so the dowel doesn't split, and counter sink it on the bottom so the screw doesn't stick out and cause the base to rock.) You can then attach a smaller wooden circle to the top of the stem. It would probably be easiest to use styrofoam for the tapered bottom of the glass part with cake on top of that. Does this make sense? Hope it helps.

TheCakeGirl87 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TheCakeGirl87 Posted 24 Oct 2008 , 3:33pm
post #4 of 7

Can it be in a martini glass or no?

cakebaker1978 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakebaker1978 Posted 25 Oct 2008 , 5:13am
post #5 of 7

I found this one on the flickr website I will attach the picture and the instructions she included.

This was a very small cake to feed only 6 girls, so I cut the Wilton Wondermold in half once baked, and shaped the bottom out of fondant to look like a Martini glass. The olives were also made out of fondant & the toothpick was a large skewer for grilling.
LL

dragonflydreams Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dragonflydreams Posted 25 Oct 2008 , 5:34am
post #6 of 7

. . . have you seen this one (margarita not martini . . . but same principles apply). . . she speaks as to how she did it in the comments . . . http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=796 . . . HTH

CShields Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CShields Posted 26 Oct 2008 , 4:55pm
post #7 of 7

Yesterday I posted a birthday cake I made for a dear friend that is trying to limit her intake of martinis per day. You might find that cake of interest in your quest for a special martini cake. Since that cake was small to fit into the martini glass, would you consider making some cupcakes at the base of the martini glass that would coordinate with your theme?
http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-photo_1279928.html

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%