Do You Remember High School Really???

Lounge By cookingfor5 Updated 5 Nov 2008 , 1:14pm by jammjenks

cookingfor5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cookingfor5 Posted 22 Oct 2008 , 4:35pm
post #1 of 22

I was wondering how many people actually remember how High School was. I remember everything vividly and it was 15 years ago. The reason I ask is because my in-laws are in such denial about it. Their kids are getting into high school and driving and they act as though their kids are innocent and angels. They run and tell on each other's kids as soon as they do something. You know the kind. The ones who have an unrealistic view of sex, drugs and rock and roll. Never saw or did anything bad in school. But, they drink and party now and did so in college.

I am extremely conservative, only because I would hate to be caught, but I remember everything. I remember the party we were at that got busted as we pulled out and I got away. I remember the first person I saw with an illegal substance. I remember when everyone cheated on the test. I remember when a boy did my homework in math twice because I had forgotten to do it and was over committed to extra curriculars. I remember my first drink, of milk of course! And, all that stuff you shouldn't talk about. No one else does or will admit it.

These kids around here tattle on each other and I think that is wrong. If nothing else, there is a code of conduct that you don't tattle at that age. One girl turned in a picture of a girl at a party because she wanted her spot on the team and she told the principle it wasn't her and got away with it. I'm not saying she was right, but it takes guts to get away with that and I am impressed that she pulled it off. As they tell me how these kids are bad, they tell their kids to remember to call if they've been drinking and they will pick them up no questions asked. I agree with the last statement, but don't give your kid mixed signals.

I guess my question is do you remember what really happened in school or did "Dazed and Confused" and "Good Times at Ridgemont High" or whatever it was called only happen in my school?

21 replies
moreCakePlz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
moreCakePlz Posted 22 Oct 2008 , 5:16pm
post #2 of 22

My high school days were pretty innocent and tame (all girl public school with about 1200 students). Iâm sure there were wild things going on, but I was oblivious to it all. It wasnât until college that I took notice of the sex, drugs and alcohol world.

College was a lot more fun than High School!

chutzpah Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chutzpah Posted 22 Oct 2008 , 5:44pm
post #3 of 22

The world today is a much harder place than it was 15 years ago, remember that.

I remember HS and I graduated in '83. I vividly remember all the racial slurs and comments and my car and our home being egged. I remember being benched in volleyball 'cause I refused to take part in 'prayers' in the locker room before games. I remember marching band and government class and math and cross country. I was never a party girl... too into sports and horses and band and drama.

I remember that university seemed a long way off, and finally leaving that town. when it was time to go.

I have no contact from anyone I knew during that period.

Mike1394 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mike1394 Posted 22 Oct 2008 , 5:51pm
post #4 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by chutzpah

The world today is a much harder place than it was 15 years ago, remember that.

I remember HS and I graduated in '83.

A mere youngster icon_biggrin.gif

Hehehehe high school. After my first year I was the kid that you were told to stay away fromn LOLOLOL. You know the one. the one that told the teachers to go find themselves. The one that smoked, and drank in the parking lot, yeah that was me LOLOLOL

To me HS was a thing that was required to do. I hated every minute of it.

Mike

chutzpah Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chutzpah Posted 22 Oct 2008 , 5:58pm
post #5 of 22

I hated HS, too. I was a way sassy brat, but it was hard being a really smart kid who often knew more than my teachers.

But you are right.... I can't ever imagine narking out other kids my own age... even kids who bullied me and others that I didn't like.

TheCakerator Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TheCakerator Posted 22 Oct 2008 , 6:39pm
post #6 of 22

I didn't care for high school .. sure I loved going, to see my friends of course! I got the work done, it was never pretty I'll tell you that much .. I was no honor roll student, no key club member, no whatever ... My dh and I were so different from each other in hs ... of course he went to a hs in a different state and we met while he was in college, I was still in hs. ... we joke about how he was a nerd cause he is really super smart and took all advanced classes and was honor this and honor that .. he says he didn't like high school cause he was a nerd .. I said I didn't like high school cause I didn't like all the work .. he says, that's alright .. you were popular .. hahaha I guess the grass is always greener on the other side!

MichelleM77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MichelleM77 Posted 23 Oct 2008 , 12:39am
post #7 of 22

Unfortunately I remember it all too well. I found out in my senior year (1995) that everyone thought I was a b*&%$ when in reality I was too shy to talk to anyone. I actually had a guy tell me that everyone thought that I thought I was too good to talk to anyone, but I was just painfully shy! Ugh. You mean I could have enjoyed the past four years if I had opened my mouth and talked to someone?!?!

I have very little contact with anyone from high school, really just talk to a few people on Facebook, but haven't talked to anyone since graduation. They all went to four year colleges and I went to art school, then had my kiddo and had my life in order before they even graduated from college. Not the same path that's for sure.

Pookie59 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pookie59 Posted 24 Oct 2008 , 7:54pm
post #8 of 22

Remember it yes, like the way you remember a vivid nightmare and (upon waking) are soooooo glad it's over.

I still have occasional contact with 2 girls I knew then. Outside of them there's no one from the part of my life that I care to have any contact with.

mommicakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommicakes Posted 28 Oct 2008 , 12:00am
post #9 of 22

icon_redface.gif Yes I do.

icon_rolleyes.gif I remember the good, and the tapedshut.gificon_twisted.gif baaaaddd. icon_wink.gif

Try going from Jr. High School to High School not only in a different school, but a total different country. Some things are truly meant to not be spoken about ever again, but are meant to be remembered and prepared for my childrens behaviors to come. icon_cry.gif

jammjenks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jammjenks Posted 28 Oct 2008 , 12:22am
post #10 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCakerator

My dh and I were so different from each other in hs

This describes dh and me too. I tell him all the time that he wouldn't have dated me if we went to school together. He was the jock. Division 1 capable in baseball and basketball, Mr. Popular, attended the occasional party scene, dated LOTS of girls, etc. Me? Well, I was your typical band nerd, beta club, very conservative young lady who has yet to have a drink of alcohol or smoke anything, top 10% of my class, yadda..yadda....... I had a few close friends, but was NEVER considered popular. He was (and still is) so handsome, and I was (and still am) pretty much average.

As for the original question, Yes I do remember hs. I didn't enjoy it much and am glad I'm not there now. I really dread my children getting that age. Imagine what all they'll have to face!

Monkess Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Monkess Posted 30 Oct 2008 , 3:36pm
post #11 of 22

Oh yeah I rber high school and you know what helps in reliving it? FACEBOOK!!

Carolynlovescake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Carolynlovescake Posted 30 Oct 2008 , 4:17pm
post #12 of 22

I do and hated it.

I was the Shy girl who went to church.

My senior year I was stalked by a Junior who wanted to be my BFF. She came from a harsh home environment and was a tough talker. She had a wardrobe in her gym locker and she would hide to watch me arrive at school and then change to look like me daily. It was seriously creepy. My few close girlfriends that year tried to shelter me from her as best as they could and were understanding about it but it still was a very big scare factor.

Then there was Jake. I liked him from Jr. High all the way through my senior year. He was about as shy about his feelings as I was. We planned a trip to the snow shortly after we graduated and I chickened out and he never called me again. I was terrified of my feelings for him.

20 years later I can't help but wonder what would have happened on that trip. I often wonder if he remembers me like I do him. I've tried to look him up a few times over the years and haven't been able to locate him.

Other than Jake, I haven't thought about anyone else I went to school with. I have my 20 year reunion next summer and am thinking about going just because I haven't gone to any others.

Looking back I have to say that I clearly remember the bad about it but I'm sure there were good times too.

Oh and Kevin... he was willing to date me my senior year for most of it actually until I found out he was sleeping with my best friend who to this day 20 years later refuses to talk to me.

Yeah HS wasn't my best of times but my senior year was the worst. icon_lol.gif

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 30 Oct 2008 , 11:35pm
post #13 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by cookingfor5

One girl turned in a picture of a girl at a party because she wanted her spot on the team and she told the principle it wasn't her and got away with it. I'm not saying she was right, but it takes guts to get away with that and I am impressed that she pulled it off. ...... but don't give your kid mixed signals.

Yes I remember all that I did in high school over 30 years ago .... and it is specifically for that reason that I have such strict rules with my kids. Just because I did it is NOT a license for them to do it. No that is not being contrary or 2-faced about it ... it's called being a parent.

I think mixed signals is when you are impressed that some girl "pulled it off" in your story .... (I'm a little vague on who did what because there are too many pronouns in it and I kinda got lost on who all the "she" 's referred to.) But if she did wrong, then it's wrong ... and your children should not get the mixed signal of "Hey! Mom will be impressed if we lie and defame some other girl and get by with it!"

I usually shake my head at those folks who relive their "glory days" of high school as the best time of their life. For god's sake, it's HIGH SCHOOL!! dunce.gif If that's the hi-light of your life, then you need to get a life.

SUUMEME Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SUUMEME Posted 31 Oct 2008 , 2:05am
post #14 of 22

I am w/ you indydebi! Ditto to everything you said, except the 30 year part, it's 14 for me. icon_wink.gif

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 31 Oct 2008 , 5:10pm
post #15 of 22

Yes I remember it and it was 45 years ago. I also agree with Debi and that is why my daughter thought I had eyes in the back of my head and spys everywhere icon_smile.gif

MosMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MosMom Posted 4 Nov 2008 , 2:22pm
post #16 of 22

High school was okay. I graduated in 94 and I already can't remember many names of teachers/classmates. I graduated in a class of 700 though and sat next to someone at graduation I had never seen in my life even though she attended all 4 years with me. I was a band/drama geek and pretty much stuck to my inner circle. I was friendly to everyone who was friendly to me but my close friends were from the artsy side.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 4 Nov 2008 , 2:35pm
post #17 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by MosMom

I graduated in a class of 700 though and sat next to someone at graduation I had never seen in my life even though she attended all 4 years with me.

That's so funny because my daughter and her husband went to schools that were opposite of each other.

Her graduating class had about 900 kids in it. The school takes up something like 5-6 city blocks and the football field-area is 2+ of those blocks. Her husband's school .... well, she described their football field as "....two bleachers and an overturned bucket for the overflow guy!" Her hubby can't imagine not knowing everyone in the school ... she can't imagine how you can!

It's funny to listen to them compare schools! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

Me? Back in the olden days, we had 7th grade thru 12th grade in the same building and there were only 800 kids in the entire building! And that was when "Jr. High" was Jr. High, and not this phony crappola of "middle school" or "intermediate school". (The older folks on here will know what I mean! icon_twisted.gif )

MosMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MosMom Posted 4 Nov 2008 , 2:40pm
post #18 of 22

Debi, being from Indiana as well I can probably guess what school your daughter went to. icon_razz.gif I went to Penn High up north and we were always rivals with the Indy/Carmel schools. :p

juleskaye518 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
juleskaye518 Posted 4 Nov 2008 , 4:07pm
post #19 of 22

I went to three different high schools, one in the Philipines, the last two in Florida. I was so shocked when we moved back to the US that racism was so ramant in high school. Being in an overseas school for military kids, I can honestly say I don't remember racism. If you were hated or picked on, it was because of the normal kid things, you were fat, ugly, wore the wrong clothes, or something such as that. I have good and bad memories of HS, especially in the Philipines, where I spent most of HS.

jammjenks Posted 4 Nov 2008 , 4:14pm
post #20 of 22

I took my daughter to see High School Musical 3 at the movies last night. I surely don't remember my teenage years being like the movie! I wish it was. It looked like they had more fun than I did!

hallow3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hallow3 Posted 5 Nov 2008 , 2:11am
post #21 of 22

Well, I was blessed with selective memory. I don't remember much of my high JSchool, graduated 1990. I do remember getting caught in a U-haul in the woods with a bunch of folks drinking by the cops and they let us go. I remember getting straight A's in school and got preggo at the age of 16. Which by the way was probably the best thing that ever happened to me. My so called friends were starting to do things that they should not have, coke, acid, pill popping and I was diverted by my pregnancy. I grew up quick and did not look back on HS. My dad told me I was never going to amount to much but being barefoot and preggo all the time and now, I have the best 20 year old daughter, Saluatorian of her HS class and going to college on her own and she just bought her own home. I went to college, worked days, school at night and got 3 associates and 2 Bachelor's degrees and proved my daddy so wrong. I don't miss HS or college either but I think my experiences have made my daughter not want to work as hard as I did to get where I am now. For that I would not change anything in my life. Everything I have gone through, the good, the bad, and the ugly, has made me the person I am today.

jammjenks Posted 5 Nov 2008 , 1:14pm
post #22 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by hallow3

Well, I was blessed with selective memory. I don't remember much of my high JSchool, graduated 1990. I do remember getting caught in a U-haul in the woods with a bunch of folks drinking by the cops and they let us go. I remember getting straight A's in school and got preggo at the age of 16. Which by the way was probably the best thing that ever happened to me. My so called friends were starting to do things that they should not have, coke, acid, pill popping and I was diverted by my pregnancy. I grew up quick and did not look back on HS. My dad told me I was never going to amount to much but being barefoot and preggo all the time and now, I have the best 20 year old daughter, Saluatorian of her HS class and going to college on her own and she just bought her own home. I went to college, worked days, school at night and got 3 associates and 2 Bachelor's degrees and proved my daddy so wrong. I don't miss HS or college either but I think my experiences have made my daughter not want to work as hard as I did to get where I am now. For that I would not change anything in my life. Everything I have gone through, the good, the bad, and the ugly, has made me the person I am today.

I just LOVE stories like that. Congratulations to you and your daughter.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%