Airbrush Machines

Decorating By Tess1919 Updated 22 Oct 2008 , 10:58pm by jenny518

Tess1919 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tess1919 Posted 22 Oct 2008 , 2:07pm
post #1 of 17

I am looking to purchase a Kopy Kake airbrush machine and wondered what is the difference between the smaller black one (8-10 psi) and the larger red one which has a much higher psi.

16 replies
sweetcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetcakes Posted 22 Oct 2008 , 2:08pm
post #2 of 17

the small black one has a preset pressure, which you cannot change. the red box (airmaster) has a variable pressure. get this one if you can.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 22 Oct 2008 , 3:03pm
post #3 of 17

Yes, the red one is MUCH better. I was going to get that one, then DH bought me a different brand.

cakesalot13 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesalot13 Posted 22 Oct 2008 , 3:43pm
post #4 of 17

What does everyone suggest- a gravity feed or bottom attachment on the brush. Better flow from -gravity fed?- Easier to switch colors with the bottom attachment one? Or is the top-feed just as easy?

mcook1670 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mcook1670 Posted 22 Oct 2008 , 3:59pm
post #5 of 17

I have a gravity feed at work and a bottom feed at home and the both work the same really, the only problem with a bottom or suction feed is sometimes you have to turn it a little to the side to get the last bit of color out. But either one works fine i got a $ 20 airbrush at harbor freight and it works just as god as the $ 90 copykake

Tess1919 Posted 22 Oct 2008 , 4:06pm
post #6 of 17

Leahs which brand do you have?

cakesalot13 Posted 22 Oct 2008 , 4:22pm
post #7 of 17

so what is the difference with the Harbor freight brand versus the kopykake version? if they are 1/3 the prices? Will the Harbor freight options work just as good- is that a dual action brush?- Do you have the harbor freight compressor as well? Are you able to adjust the pressure?

beck30 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beck30 Posted 22 Oct 2008 , 4:39pm
post #8 of 17

My DH just baught me one from harbor freight 2 days ago. I love it but I havent got to use it. I will keep you posted to let you know how it works out. I was wondering if you can use vodca mix in this or if you should buy airbrush colors? If anyone knows please let me in on it.

Tess1919 Posted 22 Oct 2008 , 4:40pm
post #9 of 17

Beck30 - which model did you purchase from Harbor Freight because I called and they have several there.

cakesalot13 Posted 22 Oct 2008 , 4:53pm
post #10 of 17

I just called too, asking about the deluxe airbrush Professional quality chrome-plated brass air brush with anodized aluminum needle cover.

* Slim, comfortable grip
* Easy-to-clean anodized aluminum housing
* 30 PSI continuous working pressure
* Adjustable air flow control
* Comes with 22 cc glass jar, 5 cc metal cup, storage case, metal hanger; air outlet
Air inlet: 1/8"-27 NPT

ITEM 95810-5VGA

But I am wondering if this is a single or dual action brush. the Cust. Servcs. rep didn't really seem to know.

JennaB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JennaB Posted 22 Oct 2008 , 4:56pm
post #11 of 17

I like gravity feed better, I've never had much success with siphon feed. I got mine from Airbrush City (they have a website & ebay store). Got a great deal awhile back, compressor and three different airbrushes (1 gravity and 2 siphon feed) for $135.00.

Tess1919 Posted 22 Oct 2008 , 5:00pm
post #12 of 17

Jenna B- which model do you have as I went on their site and they have several to choose from.

mkcraig Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mkcraig Posted 22 Oct 2008 , 5:14pm
post #13 of 17

My dad got me an airbrush for Christmas last year from Harbor Freight too. But I still haven't used it because I just don't know what I'm doing. I've never used one before. How do I clean the thing between colors?

Melvira Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Melvira Posted 22 Oct 2008 , 5:26pm
post #14 of 17

I have the red (adjustable flow) compressor and love it, but I HATE the gravity feed airbrush that I bought with it. Ok, imagine moving your hand around with a bowl of ink sitting on top of it. Yep, slop... dribble... slop. It really annoys me! I wish I wouldn't have gotten rid of my cheap vacuum feed one when I got this one. I loved that little guy! icon_cry.gif

Auryn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Auryn Posted 22 Oct 2008 , 5:50pm
post #15 of 17

mkcraig
I got one for christmas last year too and havent used it either.
I dont even know what model it is.

Do I need to buy a compressor for it or those cans of compressed air??

Melvira Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Melvira Posted 22 Oct 2008 , 6:36pm
post #16 of 17

Oh boy, are you going to get some very strong opinions on the canned air!! Some people will say go ahead and use it, some people will tell you don't dare! Apparently some (all? I don't know) brands put some sort of mustard gas in it to prevent kids from huffing? I think I am relaying this info correctly. Anyway, I do not know if it is food safe. Some will argue that they see TV chefs using them... but maybe that is a specific food safe brand. Definitely worth looking into if you don't have a compressor and are considering using the cans. Research can never hurt!

jenny518 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenny518 Posted 22 Oct 2008 , 10:58pm
post #17 of 17

I got a GD100 from Airbrush City (off Ebay-cheaper). I don't have a small compressor yet, so my hubby set me up with his small compressor and just put a "regulator" with a moisture filter on it (got from Harbor Fr. for $10-15). He made it so the PSI never goes above 15. It works like a charm. I'm doing my first cupcake batch with it Friday. I never knew you can use ANY compressor as long as it has a regulator!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%