Need Help With Sticky Fondant.

Decorating By cuteums Updated 24 Oct 2008 , 10:17am by bobhope

cuteums Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cuteums Posted 22 Oct 2008 , 1:21pm
post #1 of 11

I have just about had it with fondant. I don't know what to do anymore. Every time I try to use it it sticks to everything. I cannot roll it out without it becoming glued to the surface I am rolling it on. I have been using the wilton mat with cornstarch and it sticks. I tried just using my table with cornstarch- it sticks. I have tried MMF, wilton (eew), and Satin Ice. All incredibly sticky. The wilton actually behaved the best but it tastes so gross I won't use it. What am I doing wrong? Is there a better brand I can use? How about the surface I roll it out on. I want to be able to use fondant but it is getting to the point where that is impossible. Thanks for the help.

10 replies
Shanille21 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Shanille21 Posted 22 Oct 2008 , 1:26pm
post #2 of 11

im not an authority on fondant but had a similar situation happen the other day.

are you coloring the fondant? i found that when i put too much coloring in that it was very sticky and hard too work with. maybr adding more PS would help then try rolling it out. I also use the wilton mat but use a light coating of shortening to roll. I know that the other talented CC'ers will be able to help.

Gool luck,
shannon

ernurse39 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ernurse39 Posted 22 Oct 2008 , 1:39pm
post #3 of 11

I use fondx fondant and it's great. It also seems to last longer without drying out. I have also used powedered sugar for sticking.

ski Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ski Posted 22 Oct 2008 , 1:42pm
post #4 of 11

I agree with Shannon. if you color your fondant, just color a small ball a little darker than you want , then add the ball into your main roll. Mine used to stick all the time until I started using this method. Also you can add a small amount of crisco shortening into the fondant ,that helps with both stickiness and pliability. I have adopted Satin Ice now, but prefer the taste of Pettinice. Good Luck!

mkcraig Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mkcraig Posted 22 Oct 2008 , 2:01pm
post #5 of 11

I make my own fondant, I use the "Michelle Foster's Delicous Fondant" recipe. If it's too sticky try adding some powdered sugar. I've tried the crisco before, seems like it would be a good solution to it sticking, but I find that it just tends to make it wetter and sticker yet.

bobhope Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobhope Posted 22 Oct 2008 , 2:42pm
post #6 of 11

hi! i don't know about the climate in your area, but high humidity can greatly affect fondant.i always work with fondant w/ my kitchen a/c on..hth icon_smile.gif

cuteums Posted 22 Oct 2008 , 9:27pm
post #7 of 11

thanks for the suggestions. I found that crisco makes it stickier. I did notice heat and humidity make it much harder to work with. My ac had been broken all summer so it was hot and sticky. 2 questions - is powdered sugar better than cornstarch for rolling it out, and if I need dark fondant should I just invest in an airbrusher?

I guess I will tru fondx and see how it is. I may also try the michele foster recipe but I am looking for something I can buy so it is easier come baking time, and is also a consistent product. Thanks.

Sugarflowers Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sugarflowers Posted 23 Oct 2008 , 4:33am
post #8 of 11

Powdered sugar is better for rolling fondant. Cornstarch can cause the fondant to dry to quickly and crack.

If it was hot in your house, there isn't much you can do with any fondant. You might have to work at night when it's naturally cooler to get a project completed.

Dark fondant is hard to get colored properly, but it does look better than airbrushed coloring unless you can paint perfectly evenly. I love the airbrush for adding small amounts of color or adding sparkle with luster dust.

HTH

Michele

cuteums Posted 23 Oct 2008 , 4:03pm
post #9 of 11

Thanks for the help. You are all awesome. I guess my next question is how do you make dark fondant? Like a bright red, a navy blue or black? I know satin ice sells colored fondant already. Maybe I'll just have to bite the bullet and buy some colors.

Sugarflowers Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sugarflowers Posted 24 Oct 2008 , 6:21am
post #10 of 11

It takes a lot of color to make a a darker fondant. Depending on the color, starting with chocolate fondant will help to use less color. If you use the gel colors you will probably have to add more powdered sugar since there is glycerin in the color.

You might have to add several different colors to get the color that you want. It will also darken a little bit after it has set over night. Keep it in an opaque container to prevent light from fading it.

I have to admit that sometimes it is easier to order pre-colored fondant. My personal favorite is Choco Pan. Linda has some great flavors and colors.

HTH

Michele

bobhope Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobhope Posted 24 Oct 2008 , 10:17am
post #11 of 11

rolling it out with cornstarch works better for me,i find powdered sugar makes it drier more quickly.i used to roll it w/ ps but had problems w/ drying & cracking..but then, i'm from a tropical country, where humidity can be high most of the time.. we only have 2 seasons, wet & dry icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%