What The Heck Is This??!!!

Decorating By Callyssa Updated 23 Oct 2008 , 5:12pm by Callyssa

Callyssa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Callyssa Posted 23 Oct 2008 , 12:45pm
post #31 of 39

well, when I posted my original post I was actually having problems with both! icon_redface.gif

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 23 Oct 2008 , 12:55pm
post #32 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by Callyssa

well, when I posted my original post I was actually having problems with both! icon_redface.gif

Which both of the three listed?

icon_biggrin.gif

Parable Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Parable Posted 23 Oct 2008 , 12:55pm
post #33 of 39

So I just read the whole thread. I def agree cc icing is a PITA! I wish it didn't taste so goooooooooooood.

Callyssa, I'm dying to see the cake!

Callyssa Posted 23 Oct 2008 , 1:01pm
post #34 of 39

I was having bulging between my layers, but also air bubbles forming around near the bases. Eventually some popped up in other areas too. I kept popping them and smooshing them, and the icing looked like elephant skin! I thought I would have to start over, but after sleeping on it, decided to try a new coat of icing, and even today it looks as good as it did yesterday (not to say it looks perfect by any means! I'm just a good cover up artist icon_wink.gif )

MacsMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MacsMom Posted 23 Oct 2008 , 2:27pm
post #35 of 39

The gasses definately form only when coming from cold to warm (well, I don't know about only, but that is certainly on emajor factor. My cakes are always perfect until they've been out of the fridge for about 4 hours.

If I see a bubble forming, I wait until just before delivery to poke pin-sized holes and smooth it down with my fondant smoother. Touching it with your hands leaves it bumpy. If the holes are noticeable, I spackle it with matching frosting or thinned fondant.

If you start popping bubbles right when you notice them, gasses will likely continue to build up if the hole gets closed so you'll have to re-popping rather than waiting a little longer for all (or most) of the gas to release.

But hopefully pin-pricking the cake and crumbcoat will prevent bubbles, period. Since I use fondant, though, I'm thinking I'll always have to pop.
Room temp cakes are too hard to work on icon_rolleyes.gif .

As for filling bulges, make your dam a little inside the edge of the cake. I add cake scraps to BC to make it super stiff (learned that trick here). After you fill, press down on the top of your cake to smoosh the filling in place. If your dam bulges out, run around it with your finger to press it back inward and to remove excess frosting that continues to bulge out.

Kim_in_CajunCountry Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kim_in_CajunCountry Posted 23 Oct 2008 , 3:50pm
post #36 of 39

Yes, my post and photos addressed bulging. I've never actually experienced a bubble/blowout with cream cheese or buttercream frosting (at least I don't think I have). I have had buttercream icing slide down the side of my cake, but I knew it was too thin as soon as I started applying it.

I've never made a wedding cake (they actually intimidate me, or is it brides that initimidate me?) or had to set up a cake outdoors. I have taken pictures outdoors and I had to work quickly because the icing gets very soft and shiny in the heat. You can see this in the cake with the basketweave around the sides and the bright flowers on top. Photo was taken on July 6th,as the sun was setting, 90+ degrees outside and greater than 90% humidity, no doubt! icon_eek.gif

Here's a closeup of one of the cupcakes also taken at the same time. You can see how shiny the cream cheese frosting is!

sugarshack Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarshack Posted 23 Oct 2008 , 4:58pm
post #37 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by Callyssa

Sharon, I have a question for you; you said you never refridgerate.....do you not freeze your cakes also? I'm asking because I didn't have time to freeze then thaw for my class cake two weeks ago, and I wasn't super impressed with the quality of the cake (WASC). It didn't seem to have the flavor, and definitely not the moisture as when I've frozen them, but I wondered if maybe I had just overcooked them.

I also wanted to ask you about your heating cores; do you just use a flower nail? I understand the theory behind it, I've used potato nails when baking potatoes, but I would think it would need a bigger center since cakes are bigger?

Thanks again everyone for all the insight!

yes, sometimes I bake and freeze ahead. In that case I let the layers thaw fully in the plastic, unwrap them, but do not ice them untill all that moisture on the surface of the cake is all dried off. I use WASC too, it is a very wet cake by nature so I have to be careful about that.

I adore heating cores, and use them on all cakes over 8 inches.

and Kate, yes, I agree. those 3 things you listed are all very different issues. To prevent bulging, I use a super super stiff Bc dam ( I think you said u did too) and let cakes settle overnight before icing.

sugarshack Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarshack Posted 23 Oct 2008 , 5:04pm
post #38 of 39

Let me clarify one thing:

I know there are peeps out there that ice frozen or cold cakes, and have great success. I dont know the ins and outs of all their recipes, environment, etc.... I am in no way saying what they are doing is wrong. Everybody finds the way that works for them.

I am only saying what I have found to be the trouble maker factors, for me, in my cake life, and what has helped me solve it. I in no way think I am the final authority on all of this, or my way is the only way, and I aplogize if I came across that way. I am just sharing what factors I know cause blow outs for me, and how I prevent them.

Other suggestions that peolpe offer are just as valid and need to be tried.

Callyssa Posted 23 Oct 2008 , 5:12pm
post #39 of 39

Thank you for the help Sharon! For what it's worth, I didn't think you were implying your way was the only way; I probably set you up for that by calling you "golden"! I just know that whatever method you're using seems to work wonders and your cakes are incredible (as are sooooo many decorators here). I can only test out one theory at a time, and I'm not going to settle on "the" perfect method, because as you said, what works for one may not for the next.

Case in point.....I swear I followed your directions to a T in making your BC, and mine never crusted! The only difference was I used all Crisco, and I believe it may have been the zero transfat kind. (But that's a whole other discussion!)

Thanks to EVERYONE for your help, and as I get more experienced I will offer up what works for me to newbies as well. What goes around comes around! icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%