Royal Icing On Buttercream Icing

Decorating By Jocmom Updated 22 Oct 2008 , 1:40pm by missmeg

Jocmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jocmom Posted 21 Oct 2008 , 10:15pm
post #1 of 5

I'm making a tiara from Royal Icing - to be place on a cake frosted with Buttercream icing. Will the Royal Icing absorb any moisture from the BC icing? The customer wants as little fondant as possible, so covering the cake in fondant isn't an option.

Thanks in advance for your suggestions.

4 replies
kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 21 Oct 2008 , 10:48pm
post #2 of 5

If you have piped the crown thick enough there should not be a problem....... but to help why not place the crown on a ring or circle of fondant just big enough to accommendate it.

tracey1970 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tracey1970 Posted 22 Oct 2008 , 1:36am
post #3 of 5

I put royal icing letters, which would be a lot thinner than a crown, on BC all the time. They stay hard for quite a while (hours). I would think a crown, which would be thicker, would hold up for much longer.

Jocmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jocmom Posted 22 Oct 2008 , 2:05am
post #4 of 5

Thanks!

I'm delivering the cake Friday afternoon - the party is Saturday. I think I'll make a small fondant ring for it to sit on just in case. I'm hoping that the buttercream will be crusted enough so it won't be an issue, but you never know . ..

missmeg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
missmeg Posted 22 Oct 2008 , 1:40pm
post #5 of 5

It's only going to be an issue if you are in a high-humidity area. The ONLY time I've had my RI decorations melt was at my dd's first birthday party - August in New England with 75%+ humidity and no air conditioning. If you deliver on Friday for a Saturday party, you shouldn't have any issues.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%