Stenciling With Fondant..and That Damask Stencil Cake!

Decorating By __Jamie__ Updated 22 Oct 2008 , 4:26pm by newmansmom2004

__Jamie__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Jamie__ Posted 21 Oct 2008 , 9:43pm
post #1 of 8

So, I guess everyone has seen that gorgrous cake uploaded by DesignerCakes...bravo! I didn't want to PM her, I would imagine she is getting slammed with messages as it is about that gorgeous stencil work!
http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1278188

My question is, I know people stencil with buttercream onto the fondant, or pin prock the design on to fill in with royal icing, but I am wondering about a different method.

Has anyone tried placing a thin sheet of fondant on TOP of the stencil and rolling over it with a rolling pin, to force the fondant through, like a cookie cutter?

Would that work? Is it already a method that I am just not aware of? I mean, if that damask cake was done with royal icing...ok, bravo, I wouldn't attempt it, but "stamping" it out sounds feasible. Would require a lot of plucking up off the mat and placing individual pieces, but it would be a clean operation, no?

7 replies
leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 21 Oct 2008 , 9:46pm
post #2 of 8

I only have two pictures posted here, but one of them is a damask cake that it all cut outs on bc. Not exactly what you asked about , but similar.

__Jamie__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Jamie__ Posted 21 Oct 2008 , 9:51pm
post #3 of 8

Cool, leahs....so did you cut out the fondant with an exacto knife? I guess that's what I am wondering as well. Sounds very tedious!

leah_s Posted 21 Oct 2008 , 11:37pm
post #4 of 8

nope. all purchased cutters. easy. time consuming, but ultimately not that difficult.

okred Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
okred Posted 22 Oct 2008 , 3:58pm
post #5 of 8

Leah,

May I ask how you stick the fondant to the buttercream. I always seem to have trouble getting the two to stick together. The peices just slide down the side.

sarahnichole975 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sarahnichole975 Posted 22 Oct 2008 , 4:12pm
post #6 of 8

I wet a folded up viva paper towel and pat the back of my cut out piece on it and then stick it to the cake. It only needs to be slight dampened, not real wet or it may slide on you.

leah_s Posted 22 Oct 2008 , 4:20pm
post #7 of 8

I use a non-crusting bc. And then just slap the fondant cut outs on there.

newmansmom2004 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
newmansmom2004 Posted 22 Oct 2008 , 4:26pm
post #8 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie85364

I mean, if that damask cake was done with royal icing...ok, bravo,

If you're talking about the stunning green cake with the brown damask stencil, yes it was royal icing - I asked! icon_smile.gif Amazing work!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%