Piping Scrollwork??

Decorating By Callyssa Updated 22 Oct 2008 , 3:36am by Callyssa

Callyssa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Callyssa Posted 21 Oct 2008 , 5:40pm
post #1 of 5

When I'm practicing piping any kind of scrollwork, lettering, etc. the icing breaks on occasion. Should I just thin it down (with water?) for detail work like that, or I've heard about using corn syrup to make it more "stretchy"? What is the general consensus on this? TIA!

PS I'm sorry again to ask such basic questions; usually I do trial and error and figure things out on my own, but today I don't have time! I'm supposed to drop a cake off at my sisters' an hour away while I'm in town taking my classes. They don't need it until Thursday, but since I'm not charging for my cakes I don't want to have pay for gas to drive back there on Thurs.! I know, it's petty, but I'm driving a Trailblazer and they don't get very good gas mileage!

4 replies
Malakin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Malakin Posted 21 Oct 2008 , 5:47pm
post #2 of 5

Some use corn syrup, some thin down with water. I have occasionally done those and have also used piping gel. It seems to work good for me, especially with writing.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 21 Oct 2008 , 9:36pm
post #3 of 5

Piping gel and corn syrup are very very similar for this application. Use which ever you have on hand.
It doesn't take much.....maybe a good tablespoon per cup of icing.
Another thing that might help: Strain your icingicon_smile.gif Use a clean knee high stocking (OR cut up a pr of panty hose. Put the 'scok' part on your hand like a glove; fill hand w/icing; peel sock off hand by turning it inside out; push icing thru. Yes, it is a bit messy but you will find it greatly improves your breaking problems when using those small tips.

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 21 Oct 2008 , 10:29pm
post #4 of 5

Great tip Kakeladi! I never would have thought of that. I'll have to try it the next time I'm piping.

Callyssa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Callyssa Posted 22 Oct 2008 , 3:36am
post #5 of 5

Thank you so much, I will try that! Is it air bubbles then that are causing the breaking, and pushing it through the stocking breaks the bubbles?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%