I Need A Dairy-Free Frosting!

Baking By gina51901 Updated 21 Oct 2008 , 4:51pm by cupcakemkr

gina51901 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gina51901 Posted 21 Oct 2008 , 1:21pm
post #1 of 4

My daughter has a dairy (and soy) allergy that limits what ingredients I can use in my frosting recipes. I need a good cake frosting recipe that doesn't use butter. The only butter substitute she can have is VERY yellow and doesn't make a good white frosting. Crisco is ok to use. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

3 replies
cupcakemkr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupcakemkr Posted 21 Oct 2008 , 1:27pm
post #2 of 4

It sounds like you'll have to do the crisco and ps recipe with flavorings of your choice almond and vanilla are favorties. You can use the butter substitute that she can use and add a tiny bit of violet food coloring gel to take away much of the yellow coloring - it really works, just a tiny bit of violet, if you use too much then you get a gray color.

I believe that the recipe is

1 cup shortening (or 1/2c butter substitute & 1/2 cup shortening)
1 pound powdered sugar
1 TBS flavoring
add water to consistancy you desire

good luck!!

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 21 Oct 2008 , 1:34pm
post #3 of 4

what about Rich's Bettercreme?? It says it's non-dairy on the carton....and it tastes wonderful.........just whip it up and spread it on.

cupcakemkr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupcakemkr Posted 21 Oct 2008 , 4:51pm
post #4 of 4

FYI - Rich's Bettercream has casen (sp?) in it which is a dirivitave of milk in some way. My nephew has a milk allergy and cannot have casen.

I didn't no this, thank goodness I gave my SIL a list of the ingredients before I used it on his cake! I thought the same as you - it says NON-DAIRY right on the carton!

HTH

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%