Dixie Icing

Decorating By bostonterrierlady Updated 21 Oct 2008 , 3:11pm by 2sdae

bostonterrierlady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bostonterrierlady Posted 21 Oct 2008 , 4:18am
post #1 of 9

I was on Dixies Icing website reading about this product. I wish I knew how to make an icing like this. It stays soft and does not get crusting. They also use a no trans fat shortening. What do you think the secret is?

8 replies
GeminiRJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GeminiRJ Posted 21 Oct 2008 , 11:59am
post #2 of 9

I know there's a cooked element to the icing, if that helps. I love Dixie's icing, and use it exclusively. I've read so many threads with complaints about this BC or that BC, and I have to bit my tongue and not tell them all to just order Dixie's. I know that many decorators can't believe an icing they buy can be as good as what they can make themselves, but I think they'd be surprised. This is a family icing that Dixie's dad developed, and for all intents and purposes, it is homemade. YUMMY!

Donnagardner Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Donnagardner Posted 21 Oct 2008 , 12:22pm
post #3 of 9

Gemini, how do you smooth your Dixie icing if it does not crust?

GeminiRJ Posted 21 Oct 2008 , 12:33pm
post #4 of 9

It smooths pretty easy. After I've iced the cake, I pop it into the fridge. Once it's cold, I can then smooth out any rough spots with a very clean finger. I've gotten pretty good at telling when the icing is just the right temperature for the best smoothing results! I can't do this with the chocolate icing, though, only the white. The chocolate I just have to work with a bit before it gets cold. If you try to smooth the chocolate icing after it's cold, there ends up being a slight color variation.

2sdae Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2sdae Posted 21 Oct 2008 , 1:05pm
post #5 of 9

I like it, but when I used it on a cupcake order...well, I got the comment that they tasted the greasy felt in their mouth after eating a whole cupcake...so I tried it on one...and I did too. icon_confused.gif
I had tasted it before and liked it fine...but after eating a cupcakes worth...wasnt as impressed.

GeminiRJ Posted 21 Oct 2008 , 1:23pm
post #6 of 9

I've never, ever had a greasy aftertaste with Dixie's...even on cupcakes. I wonder what the deal was?

2sdae Posted 21 Oct 2008 , 2:44pm
post #7 of 9

I wrote her...so maybe it was a bad batch...because I have used it before in the past and NEVER had this issue... icon_cry.gif

GeminiRJ Posted 21 Oct 2008 , 2:56pm
post #8 of 9

I've been using her icing for 13 years now, and it has never given a greasy aftertaste. A couple times I had teeny tiny shortening pellets that would clog my #1 tip, but that hasn't occurred in a very long time.

2sdae Posted 21 Oct 2008 , 3:11pm
post #9 of 9

maybe that is what did it....a shortening glob or somehow too much in a batch......

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%