Chocolate Leather

Decorating By momma28 Updated 21 Oct 2008 , 6:57pm by TooMuchCake

momma28 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
momma28 Posted 21 Oct 2008 , 2:00am
post #1 of 8

Ever in my quest for a good tasting (and good textured) fondant I stumbled upon a recipe here for chocolate leather. Has anyone ever used it? Good results? Great taste? I have a cake for a 7 yr olds party requested by the woman who I just did a guitar cake for. Her guitar cake was smoothed buttercream but this cake that she wants I will HAVE to use some type of fondant. She is not a fan of fondant per se but she did say that the fondant that I used on her sons cake for accents and to cover the neck of the guitar was good ( i make it myself so its not wilton which helps). She raved and raved about the flavor of the cake so I dont want to do this one and have her say it was good but you know I dont love fondant.

Anyone who has experience with chocolate leather (or any other excellent and not really chewy fondant) please respond.

Thanks and sorry so long.

7 replies
SeriousCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SeriousCakes Posted 21 Oct 2008 , 5:27am
post #2 of 8

Well, I don't know what chocolate leather is but this recipe is good:

just use the milk chocolate candy melts instead of the vanilla, very tasty! thumbs_up.gif

Cakechick123 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakechick123 Posted 21 Oct 2008 , 7:26am
post #3 of 8

i use chocolate leather a lot and it tastes great! There are two different ones I use, the one you add fondant to and it covers a cake well, the other one is just chocolate and glucose, this hasa very stiff consistencey, I battled to cover a cake with it, but it makes my little wrap cakes a breeze icon_smile.gif

momma28 Posted 21 Oct 2008 , 12:31pm
post #4 of 8

should have mentioned that I need it to be white not the brown of traditional chocolate fondant. Could I just use white chocolate

TooMuchCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TooMuchCake Posted 21 Oct 2008 , 12:55pm
post #5 of 8

Yes, you can use white chocolate but it will be rather soft unless you reduce the amount of corn syrup slightly. Alternatively, you can make the modeling chocolate (choc leather, candy clay, whatever you want to call it) according to the normal recipe and add a little bit of fondant to it to give it more body and increase workability.

There is a monkey cake on my website at www.cakedalaska.com that is covered in modeling chocolate, made with both the white and the brown.

HTH,
Deanna

FromScratch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratch Posted 21 Oct 2008 , 1:07pm
post #6 of 8

I like to mix it with fondant.. using it straight to cover a cake can be a real pain in the neck. You can use super white candy melts and make candy clay (chocolate plastic/leather) and add that to some of your fondant. I do this all the time and it give you the best of both worlds.. the workability of fondant and the nice flavor or the candy clay. icon_smile.gif

momma28 Posted 21 Oct 2008 , 1:11pm
post #7 of 8

OK So if I use Michelle Fosters Chocolate leather recipe from this site how much fondant would I have to add to make it easier to work with? 1 part fondant to 2 parts chocolate leather? Just curious. I know alot of it will be trial and error

TooMuchCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TooMuchCake Posted 21 Oct 2008 , 6:57pm
post #8 of 8

Michele's recipe is the only one I use now. I love it. You're right that you'll have to just see how much fondant you need to work into it to get it to the consistency you want. I don't usually add a whole lot unless I need to model a piece that has to support its own weight.

HTH,
Deanna

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%