Food Safe Stamps????

Baking By Jopalis Updated 22 Oct 2008 , 8:07pm by MacsMom

Jopalis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jopalis Posted 20 Oct 2008 , 9:38pm
post #1 of 15

Can someone tell me what rubber stamps are food safe and which ones are not and why? Naturally, I know they must be brand new and never used with regular ink. Is there something about the mounting process? But it doesn't really touch the cookie except for the stamp part so I am confused.... Thank you! Also, are patchwork cutters any better and why?

14 replies
Jopalis Posted 20 Oct 2008 , 10:19pm
post #2 of 15

anybody?

liapsim Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
liapsim Posted 20 Oct 2008 , 10:40pm
post #3 of 15

I don't know about "food safe" but I buy regular stamps at michaels/hobby lobby. I boil some water and take a pair of tongs and dip them in and out of the boiling whater about 10 times at about 30 seconds each dip. Don't know if it's effective but to me it seems like it is.....HTH!

Jopalis Posted 20 Oct 2008 , 10:45pm
post #4 of 15

Arre they mounted or unmounted? If mounted ...how/on what? Thanks.

Sweetstampen says must be food safe rubber and not wood mounted, etc. ???

Jopalis Posted 21 Oct 2008 , 4:18am
post #5 of 15

any other cookie stampers?

khufstetler Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
khufstetler Posted 21 Oct 2008 , 2:06pm
post #6 of 15

I bump this - I would like to know also! Such wonderful rubber stamps out there - I wish I could use them on MMF but not sure if it's safe. I would be sure the clear hard plastic one-piece ones are though!

peg818 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peg818 Posted 21 Oct 2008 , 2:57pm
post #7 of 15

It is my understanding, that the standard stamps you buy at the craft store are mounted on a piece of foam, It is the foam that harbors the germs when it gets wet. You can pull the rubber stamp off and remove the foam, then mount it to a clear block and you would be good to go.

Jopalis Posted 21 Oct 2008 , 3:02pm
post #8 of 15

What about something called EZ-Mount and the type of rubber issue?

MacsMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MacsMom Posted 21 Oct 2008 , 3:13pm
post #9 of 15

This one always gets to me. How many other things touch our cakes that are not "food safe"? If we can use cardboard and foam core board, I'm not going to worry about a clean rubber stamp.

It doesn't touch much surface area, after all. icon_rolleyes.gif

Newatdecorating Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
butternut Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
butternut Posted 21 Oct 2008 , 3:49pm
post #11 of 15

Thanks for posting that link Newatdecorating. Great information!!

Jopalis Posted 22 Oct 2008 , 6:37am
post #12 of 15

I agree MasMom.... papertowels, cardboard, etc. etc. Some say you have to be careful if you use acetate too so it is food safe.... It all gets mind boggling... Thanks Butternut....that's what I heard. Also from the same people that are the only ones to sell the food safe ones.

Thanks....

MacsMom Posted 22 Oct 2008 , 2:31pm
post #13 of 15

...and wooden dowels that go directly into the cake, paint brushes and sponges to paint with food coloring, blush brushes to dust luster dust over a cake, and all the building material I've seen Duff use icon_wink.gif

Jopalis Posted 22 Oct 2008 , 3:03pm
post #14 of 15

Yes and I have one of those canned air compressor things... Badger. They reportedly put propellants on the cake. Duff has used those too. I did see where wood dowels other than like Wilton or other cake ones are not food safe too....... Phew!

MacsMom Posted 22 Oct 2008 , 8:07pm
post #15 of 15

LOL! I am about to go buy a Preval sprayer myself!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%