Ok, So Another "how Much To Charge?"

Business By missmeg Updated 21 Oct 2008 , 9:44am by Mike1394

missmeg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
missmeg Posted 20 Oct 2008 , 3:40pm
post #1 of 4

I just took an order for a carved cake - the recipient of the cake owns a couple of Dunkin Donut franchises, and the roommate who is ordering the cake would like the cake in the shape of a donut. He only needs it for 10 people.

Now, I'm thinking if I start out with a 10" bundt cake and then carve to the correct shape, that's a start. Ice in bc, then ganache glaze over top, and some MMF or candy clay sprinkles to round it off.

How much would you charge for that?

Flavors will be dark chocolate cake with raspberry-rum filling.

3 replies
pattigunter Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pattigunter Posted 20 Oct 2008 , 3:53pm
post #2 of 4

Maybe you should see how long it takes before you decide. Sometimes that's the best estimate of what to charge - at least it is for me.

kelleym Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kelleym Posted 20 Oct 2008 , 4:23pm
post #3 of 4

Unless you're making a practice version, it's not really practical to wait until you make it to give the customer a price. "Oh, and by the way, this took me 6 hours. $200, please!" icon_confused.gif

Bundt cakes I usually figure at 16 servings, and this one will be carved. Depending on your usual prices and your market, I'd say $4-$5 serving.

Mike1394 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mike1394 Posted 21 Oct 2008 , 9:44am
post #4 of 4

Would it make it real easy if you just made a regular 10" cake, and cut out the middle? Round off the top edge, and your done. That way I wouldn't charge much more than your regular prices.

Mike

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%