If You've Had A Partial Hysterectomy, Please Help Me Decide

Lounge By adonisthegreek1 Updated 22 Oct 2008 , 7:51pm by Suzycakes

adonisthegreek1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
adonisthegreek1 Posted 20 Oct 2008 , 1:18pm
post #1 of 6

I have had uterine artery embolization and surgical removal of fibroids at least twice in the last 9 years. They usually grow back and I need them removed again in about 4.5 years. I did try hormone therapy once to decrease their growth and must say that the hormones made me a "bitch." I was really mean and nasty, but I could not help myself. I stopped hormone therapy after one month. I need to have them removed again, but my doctor recommends a partial hysterectomy. I have heard that women who opt for this surgery have a lot of mood swings, bladder control problems, etc.

If you have had this surgery, please share your experience with me. Right now, I think I am going to just have them surgically removed again. That way, I know exactly what to expect. Thanks

5 replies
lildeby Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lildeby Posted 20 Oct 2008 , 1:43pm
post #2 of 6

I had cervical cancer in may and had to have a partial hysterectomy. Now for me all they had to remove was my uterus so I have had no problems whatso ever. However going into surgery they didn't know if the cancer had spread to my ovaries or not. This is what my dr said to me... If we have to remove your ovaries then you will be on hormones until you go through menopause. However the hormones will take place of what your bodyy should normally secret so there should not be any changes in your mood ect...
For me I really didn't have a choice it was life threatening. I guess it would depend on a few things... danger to your health,do you have or can you have childeren,how hard it is to recover from painful surgical removal of the fibroids every 4 to 5 years and is this a condition that can progress to something worse.
Most studies show women on HRT adjust to the hormones after hysterectomy and go on to live fulfilling livesMood swings are a side affect but the hormone levels can be adjusted by your dr until you are comfortable! It is a tough decision to make and only you can make it however if you are not comfortable with your Drs advice get a copy of your records and get a second opinion. I'm sure your condition is painful but only you can decide it is your body and your life!! I hope this was helpful in some way!

michellenj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
michellenj Posted 20 Oct 2008 , 1:55pm
post #3 of 6

I have fibroids, too, and feel your pain!

JodieF Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JodieF Posted 20 Oct 2008 , 10:42pm
post #4 of 6

I had a partial hysterectomy 9 years ago, at 39, due to excessive bleeding and anemia. They didn't remove my ovaries and I haven't had to do HRT. I have never regretted it for one minute and I had no side affects.

Of course, no one can that decision but you. In my circumstance, it was incredibly easy, because I was going to bleed to death. Talk to your Dr. about your concerns. There are also side affects from multiple surgeries too!

Jodie

adonisthegreek1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
adonisthegreek1 Posted 21 Oct 2008 , 8:46pm
post #5 of 6

Thank you all for your input. I will at least ask my doctor a few more questions. My husband and I have 3 kids already and we are not planning to have any more, so that is not my concern.

Suzycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Suzycakes Posted 22 Oct 2008 , 7:51pm
post #6 of 6

I had a full hysterectomy 7 years ago. I too suffered from excessive bleeding and anemia. I opted for the full - over the partial - because:

1. Why leave anything in there that can develop cancer later on?

2. Why leave anything in there that might possibly have to come out later anyway? (No more surgery for me than necessary.)

3. My moods couldn't get any worse than what they already were!!

I actually started menopause around the age of 32. I took the hormone therapy for a few months after my surgery - but in the rush of family, kids, ill father, job, etc - I found myself forgetting to take the pills. Then the most wonderful discovery - I really liked myself and was very happy - NOT taking the hormones! So I went back to the DR - discussed this with him and he said it would be fine not to take them and that my body will let me know when I do need them.

We are sure that I had already passed through menopause by the time I had the surgery. They are keeping a check on my bone density - but I am honestly more happy now at 47 than I have ever been in my life!

Good luck with your decision - I wish you well.

Suze

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%