Where Have All The Sheet Cakes

Decorating By CNCS Updated 21 Oct 2008 , 1:04am by tracey1970

CNCS Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CNCS Posted 19 Oct 2008 , 7:38pm
post #1 of 30

gone?

Doesnt anyone do sheet cakes any more?

I cant find pics of sc's for visual aid for a woman's birthday cake. All I can find are childrens. Nothing for a woman 50+.

29 replies
sugarcheryl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarcheryl Posted 19 Oct 2008 , 8:09pm
post #2 of 30

Have you looked in the birthday gallery ? I do admit there aren't a lot of sheet cake designs for those types of occasion but they should be some sorry not to be much of a help.

NEWTODECORATING Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NEWTODECORATING Posted 19 Oct 2008 , 8:36pm
post #3 of 30

We had a thread some time ago about your best sheet cake....it was great! Lots of ideas I never thought of... I will help you look for it

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 19 Oct 2008 , 10:55pm
post #4 of 30

For me, I'm happy to see them go!

sharon57 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sharon57 Posted 19 Oct 2008 , 10:56pm
post #5 of 30

Have you looked in the over the hill section?

SugarFrosted Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarFrosted Posted 19 Oct 2008 , 11:16pm
post #6 of 30

I do lots of sheet cakes. A lot of people here on CC hate them. Sheet cakes serve as a blank canvas for my artwork. Have a look at the "Special Celebrations, Holidays & Adult Birthdays" album on my website. Perhaps something there will give you some inspiration.
Click the www button below to get there.

weezasmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
weezasmom Posted 19 Oct 2008 , 11:48pm
post #7 of 30

I don't post many of the sheet cakes that I do because of the nagative comments I have been reading about sheet cakes. Some people on here seem to think of all sheet cakes as if they were "store or wal-mart cakes" and feel that they are beneath them. But in my modest opinion I think that Cakery makes great sheet cakes check there.

andpotts Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
andpotts Posted 19 Oct 2008 , 11:54pm
post #8 of 30

I was going to mention Cakery too, I love her cakes! She really does a nice job they are really fun and she has some great tutorials, she will help with anything you ask her! Good luck! Andrea

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 19 Oct 2008 , 11:58pm
post #9 of 30

If you're looking for great looking sheet cakes (or any cakes), check the photos of Thanh Thanh. She is the walking epitome of using a sheet cake as an artistic canvas! I don't think anyone would call any of her cakes "boring".

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-photos-by-ThanhThanh.html

KlyKat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KlyKat Posted 20 Oct 2008 , 12:15am
post #10 of 30

http://forum.CakeCentral.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&p=5895388#5895388

Here's a link to a discussion about sheet cakes.

HTH K'ly

sugarcheryl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarcheryl Posted 20 Oct 2008 , 12:42am
post #11 of 30

I am like Leah I agree I'm glad to see them go.

SugarFrosted Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarFrosted Posted 20 Oct 2008 , 12:51am
post #12 of 30

Try to be positive ladies, she asked for help with a sheet cake, not to be told you don't want to see them here. My mom always used to say a couple of things that come to mind right now...

Quote:
Quote:

If you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all!

Quote:
Quote:

If you can't be part of the solution, at least try not to be part of the problem!

KlyKat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KlyKat Posted 20 Oct 2008 , 12:59am
post #13 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by SugarFrosted

Try to be positive ladies, she asked for help with a sheet cake, not to be told you don't want to see them here. My mom always used to say a couple of things that come to mind right now...

Quote:
Quote:

If you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all!

Quote:
Quote:

If you can't be part of the solution, at least try not to be part of the problem!

Very nicely put!

lilmansmum Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lilmansmum Posted 20 Oct 2008 , 1:01am
post #14 of 30

I do tons of sheet cakes, because I get lots of requests for them. Check out my pics, and you'll find a lot of them, and a big variety. icon_smile.gif

Kim_in_CajunCountry Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kim_in_CajunCountry Posted 20 Oct 2008 , 1:06am
post #15 of 30

Wow! I've been here since April and I never ran across a discussion about sheet cakes - negative or otherwise. But come to think of it, I haven't come across many.

I just acquired a 15x18 rectangle pan from my mom because sometimes I need something more than a 9" cake. I don't have a commercial oven so baking a half-sheet or full-sheet ain't gonna happen. icon_smile.gif

I've never made a tiered cake, so a quarter sheet is my only resort. I agree that it's like having a large blank canvas to work with. I wouldn't compare any of the work I've seen here to what I've seen coming from WalMart or Sam's Club.

Everyone is free to have an opinion, which is what makes CC so wonderful. I wouldn't let negative attitudes toward sheet cakes prevent me from posting pics of a rectangle-shaped cake I'm proud of. You shouldn't either. Post away!

sayhellojana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sayhellojana Posted 20 Oct 2008 , 1:10am
post #16 of 30

I've never made a sheet cake simply because I havent bought a sheet pan yet. BUT, I think there are some really well decorated sheet cakes on CC. I've seen some cool buttercream transfers, borders, lettering, ect.

Here are some I bug out of my fav. photos. I didn't make these, but maybe they will inspire you as they did me:
http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1263498

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1261010

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1253419

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1183047

HTH

angelcakes5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
angelcakes5 Posted 20 Oct 2008 , 1:25am
post #17 of 30

I do alot of sheet cakes because they get requested. Nothing special as the other girls but atleast give you an idea. Good luck and please post! It could help someone out who might be in the same situation later.

CNCS Posted 20 Oct 2008 , 11:41am
post #18 of 30

Lately I dont know why, I have had many requests for sheet cakes.

I just wanted to view some that would inspire me for a womans 50+ cake.

I dont think she would like a childs character or bright neon colors. Just requested a sheet cake to have for the family celebrating her b-day.

jibbies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jibbies Posted 20 Oct 2008 , 11:57am
post #19 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by CNCS

gone?

Doesnt anyone do sheet cakes any more?

I cant find pics of sc's for visual aid for a woman's birthday cake. All I can find are childrens. Nothing for a woman 50+.

Here are some I have done lately
http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1277701
http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1256959
http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1150745name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1256959
Hope this helps

Jibbies

CNCS Posted 20 Oct 2008 , 12:02pm
post #20 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

If you're looking for great looking sheet cakes (or any cakes), check the photos of Thanh Thanh. She is the walking epitome of using a sheet cake as an artistic canvas! I don't think anyone would call any of her cakes "boring".

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-photos-by-ThanhThanh.html

Ok I'm now inspired!!!
Thanks for the link.

She has so many beautiful cakes.
NOTHING bland there at all.
That was all I was coming across while looking all over the internet...bland or childrens cakes.

debster Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
debster Posted 20 Oct 2008 , 12:13pm
post #21 of 30

I have some sheets cakes for women in my photos, I do a lot of those also but don't post much on here any more because they are not received well. Not that my stacked ones are either, it amazes me unless you are some super duper caker you rarely get a comment. I'm amazed at some of the talent as I go through the gallery of some peoples cakes that have never been commented on and they really do well.

Also the ones just starting out need encouraged also,Oh my as I look back at some of my firsts, if people wouldn't of helped me alone I wouldn't be where I am now. No I'm not a pro but I'm far better than I once was. Ok I'll get off my soap box now, we all need a boost every now and again. I love to see all ideas whether it be sheet cakes or stacked cakes, variety I say!!!!

FromScratch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratch Posted 20 Oct 2008 , 12:18pm
post #22 of 30

You don't have to be a super duper caker to get comments.. it's just the fact that 1000's of photos get uploaded every week. There is just no way that every single one is going to get a bunch of comments/views. I have cakes that I have done recently that I haven't recieved many views and/or comments on. It's just part of the deal. With so many people on this site it's easy to miss a lot of what gets uploaded.

robinscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
robinscakes Posted 20 Oct 2008 , 12:23pm
post #23 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by SugarFrosted

I do lots of sheet cakes. A lot of people here on CC hate them. Sheet cakes serve as a blank canvas for my artwork. Have a look at the "Special Celebrations, Holidays & Adult Birthdays" album on my website. Perhaps something there will give you some inspiration.
Click the www button below to get there.

I agree completely! There are a lot of sheet cake "snobs" out there--not meant as an insult, but rather an attitude toward sheet cakes. Partially because they're not difficult and the decorators here are very good and want a challenge. Partially because they're difficult to get a smooth finish. I love them because a) they're 50% of my business and they pay the bills, and b) they serve as a blank canvas for anything I can imagine.

I have a lot of sheet cakes in my gallery if you would like to look.

KKC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KKC Posted 20 Oct 2008 , 12:50pm
post #24 of 30

I've honestly never came across any rude comments towards sheet cakes. I too get bored with sheet cakes, but i don't get bored looking at other peoples sheet cakes and i would like more of a challenge but i wouldn't put them down because they do sell. I guess everyone has their preference.

FromScratch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratch Posted 20 Oct 2008 , 1:22pm
post #25 of 30

I don't hate sheet cakes (okay.. well I do hate icing the tops of them smooth icon_lol.gif).. they just aren't a part of what I offer as a business. I find that it's hard to get someone to say "Sure I'll spend $5/serving on a sheet cake" because there is this stigma attached to them that sheet cakes are the cheap cake route. Unless they serve the purpose of a kitchen cake for extra wedding servings, people expect an 11x15 to cost less than $30.00. No way.. not from me anyway. Even for an unfilled single layer 11x15.. I still couldn't charge anything near $30.00 and make it worth my time. So I decided from the get go to just not offer them and market myself as more of a boutique cake shop offering sculpted cakes and tiered cakes. It's all about what you prefer to do. You couldn't pay me enough to make sheet cake after sheet cake.. I'd rather do one big scuplted cake and get paid well than have to make a bunch of sheets for the same price. I'm waaaaaaay too lazy. icon_lol.gif

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 20 Oct 2008 , 1:33pm
post #26 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkalman

I don't hate sheet cakes (okay.. well I do hate icing the tops of them smooth icon_lol.gif)..

Melvira. I'm tellin' ya, Melvira that sucker! It's great!

debster Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
debster Posted 20 Oct 2008 , 2:23pm
post #27 of 30

Jakalman................. I live in a drepressed rural surrounding. Just the thought of getting 5.00 per serving would make me want to say no to sheet cakes too. I must say for me it's no harder to smooth a sheet cake than it is a round for me anyway. I agree indydebi Melvira and the viva towel with the typing paper works like a charm, but is time consuming. I like do do both, I prefer stack due to more money but sheets are lots easier, maybe that's why they are cheaper, but then again there is a lot of work to decorate those also. A two edged sword I guess, I do enjoy it all though.

jhutch04 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jhutch04 Posted 20 Oct 2008 , 5:54pm
post #28 of 30

Did you look in the over-the-hill birthday cakes, they have so many great ideas you're sure to find something!! good luck! icon_rolleyes.gif

banba Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
banba Posted 20 Oct 2008 , 10:49pm
post #29 of 30

After seeing all those photos I wish I had a sheet cake pan, what size are they anyway?

I have a pan measuring 15x11 and it's so easy to cover in fondant, I love it!

I think sheet cakes are great fun!

tracey1970 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tracey1970 Posted 21 Oct 2008 , 1:04am
post #30 of 30

I too love sheet cakes as I am no professional, and I haven't had much experience with 3D cakes or carving, etc. I also melvira my BC and love that technique. Where I live, people are impressed with a well done sheet cake, and they don't expect to see anything too "wild and crazy" at the average birthday party. No one could afford that type of cake for most celebrations. For instance, I love watching what Duff can come up with on his show, but I could never do it myself (and no one I know could afford one anyway!)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%