Cake Business In The Country???

Decorating By Niliquely Updated 19 Oct 2008 , 11:53pm by mommicakes

Niliquely Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Niliquely Posted 19 Oct 2008 , 5:18pm
post #1 of 3

Hi - I'm pretty new here, but I LOVE this site! I keep squealing as I find treasure after treasure in ideas, recipes, etc. I have been baking cakes for fun for about 10 years - friends, family, and the like - but my mother-in-law is pressuring me to start my own business. I have read some of the threads and checked some laws and regulations but I am still a little confused. I live 30 miles from the nearest incorporated town and there are no zoning laws or anything out here to regulate water, etc. I don't want to open any kind of building up in town because there are several small unincorporated towns nearby and I will have PLENTY of business in just this area if that is what I decide to do...I guess what I am saying is, how do I open up for business in my home when I don't have the money to open a second building or kitchen??? Please understand that I am so green at this....but I am enjoying cake decorating and you all seem so nice so I thought I would ask!

2 replies
indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 19 Oct 2008 , 5:39pm
post #2 of 3

You need to know what your state laws are, not just local ordinances and zoning (although that is valuable info, too). If you go to the Business Forum, there is a Sticky thread at the very top that lists all the different states and their laws ... it's a good place to get started. thumbs_up.gif

mommicakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommicakes Posted 19 Oct 2008 , 11:53pm
post #3 of 3

I live in the country too. Here I had to go to the Dept of Health and start there. Then to the Sec. of State for my bus name & stuff.

Check first with your town clerk, they should be able to help a little.

Good Luck!!! icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%