Honestly: Has Any Ever Come Back And Told You

Decorating By CakeForte Updated 19 Oct 2008 , 8:20pm by Sweetlepea

CakeForte Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeForte Posted 18 Oct 2008 , 6:55pm
post #1 of 25

that they loved the fondant on their cake? Even the MMF?

I'm just curious. I don't think either fondant (satin Ice or MMF) taste that bad OR that good either. It's just kind of there. For the majority of my clients, the first thing they say is "no fondant". Some items, they have no choice...they get fondant or don't get a cake from me. It depends on what they want.

I love the creativity that it allows and I know that its only a tiny bit of fondant per slice of cake.

Anyway, this is not a debate question on fondant preferences....It's a question on what your clients have come back and said to you afterwards.

24 replies
MichelleM77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MichelleM77 Posted 18 Oct 2008 , 7:05pm
post #2 of 25

Hmm...no one has said anything to me either way. I use it on my cookies and they love it, but it's a different texture on cookies than it is on cakes. I did have someone thank me for putting BC under the fondant (they didn't know that I had to do that) and I'm guessing that's because no one ate the fondant. Whether it looks good or not, I hate that it just gets thrown away. Such a waste.

I was given Sugar Shack's DVDs as a birthday present and I'm slowly learning to ice my cakes as smooth has fondant. Then I will probably offer BC cakes with fondant decos (or all fondant depending on what they want).

orianadalyyorkshire8656 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
orianadalyyorkshire8656 Posted 18 Oct 2008 , 7:43pm
post #3 of 25

I had 1 client that said " The more icing the better" I gave her the cake thinking that maybe she would just peel off the fondant and eat the buttercream under it, but she told me " I love that stuff!!" I really don't like fondant and that was the first person i EVER met that liked fondant. icon_lol.gif

sayhellojana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sayhellojana Posted 18 Oct 2008 , 7:50pm
post #4 of 25

I don't sell cakes so I don't have clients, but I make cakes for friends and family, collegues, etc all the time. I figure the more practice the better.
MMF usually gets eaten around, but Chocolate MMF always gets eaten. People tell me they really like it.

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 18 Oct 2008 , 7:51pm
post #5 of 25

I've had clients come back and say that the fondant was better than they thought it would be. I've also had self-proclaimed fondant haters (who have never tried fondant) refuse to try it and stay with buttercream. Oh well. icon_rolleyes.gificon_biggrin.gif

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 18 Oct 2008 , 8:02pm
post #6 of 25

I don't do beaucoups of fondant cakes. And no one has come back and complemented the fondant. But I tell yah what I do to make fondant irresistable to anyone is when you dry it out and use it for candy accents. I mean it's not to cover the cake (well I guess it could in a design) but they love that and I do get complements on that. My husband will even go foraging for leftovers when the sugar bug bites.

In another thread I mentioned that I flavor my fondant with raspberry or whatever flavor complements the creation.

nickymom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nickymom Posted 19 Oct 2008 , 3:43am
post #7 of 25

I don't sell cakes...just make them for family & friends...my kids love MMF and ask for it and my mom loves MMF....my hubby likes ( not love) it. my sister HATES it (she said it's not the taste she hates but the texture she just can't get past) .....a aunt said she really likes the MMF I make. so basicaly I've gotten mixed reviews w/ most liking it (MMF)

Melissa0567 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Melissa0567 Posted 19 Oct 2008 , 4:09am
post #8 of 25

I've tried wilton, and its only good for things that want be eaten and I've made Michelle Fosters fondant and it tasted good and everyone like it. For me it's like wrapping your cake in divinity, I like cake and I like divinity but not together. nickymom, I'm with your sister, I texture thing. K8memphis, I'll have to try flaroring it for accents.

kmoores Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kmoores Posted 19 Oct 2008 , 3:04pm
post #9 of 25

Honestly, I've had customers come back and ask for the fondant - I use Satin Ice BTW. But I also have customers who request only BC. I think it's just a personal preference on the customers part. There are sometimes where they don't have a choice but generally, they tell me what they want.

mixinvixen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mixinvixen Posted 19 Oct 2008 , 3:13pm
post #10 of 25

we just moved to the neighborhood a couple of months ago, and upon first meeting them and them finding out i was a designer, one guy said he watches the f.n.shows, and had always wondered about fondant. my family and his now plays together, and we've gotten to know them, so the other day, when i was covering a cake, i had his wife take him some. she called back to the house and said she was mad at him, because he ate it all and didn't save her a bite. i walked her over a piece, and they now both agree that they actually liked it (mmf with cheesecake flavoring) better than regular icing.

i think for most, including me!, it is a texture thing. my daughter likes the taste and always wants my scraps when i'm rolling it out, but she and i both won't eat it on a cake slice.

cakelady15 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakelady15 Posted 19 Oct 2008 , 3:28pm
post #11 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by mixinvixen

we just moved to the neighborhood a couple of months ago, and upon first meeting them and them finding out i was a designer, one guy said he watches the f.n.shows, and had always wondered about fondant. my family and his now plays together, and we've gotten to know them, so the other day, when i was covering a cake, i had his wife take him some. she called back to the house and said she was mad at him, because he ate it all and didn't save her a bite. i walked her over a piece, and they now both agree that they actually liked it (mmf with cheesecake flavoring) better than regular icing.

i think for most, including me!, it is a texture thing. my daughter likes the taste and always wants my scraps when i'm rolling it out, but she and i both won't eat it on a cake slice.

I'm with you on this one. I will eat pieces of fondant by itself. I use Satin Ice and I think it tastes great, but for some reason I can't bring myself to eat it on a piece of cake. It's all about the texture and it's the same way for a lot of people that I know too. Most of them have never even tried it, but they don't even want to bother because it doesn't look like icing.

amysue99 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
amysue99 Posted 19 Oct 2008 , 3:28pm
post #12 of 25

Last week, I had someone request a cake covered with fondant. When I told her I didn't have time (the request was on Tuesday for a Friday cake) to make fondant, but could do the same design with buttercream, she turned it down. "The fondant is the part we love the most!"

jennifer7777 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jennifer7777 Posted 19 Oct 2008 , 3:38pm
post #13 of 25

I think maybe a lot of people don't understand that they can flavor the fondant!...especially MMF. I actually like both, MMF and Satin Ice. I LOVE the texture of Pettinice (it rolls out wonderfully and is easy to work with, but the taste is horrible). One day I will order JenniferMI's DVDs, and see how she adds white choc. to the Pettinice to make it taste better.

What about this...for those who do tastings...have you ever considered having fondant balls/squares (like candy) for clients to taste, along with cake samples, so they can truly decide whether they like fondant, instead of maybe just saying they don't based on what they've seen or heard others say?

Sometimes fondant can be a texture issue...you have a nice soft, moist cake, then have to chew on the fondant.

LeckieAnne Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LeckieAnne Posted 19 Oct 2008 , 3:57pm
post #14 of 25

I flavor my MMF a bit -- and most don't like to eat it - they peel it off - but I have a cousin who loves it. She eats the fondant first.

Amia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Amia Posted 19 Oct 2008 , 3:59pm
post #15 of 25

I've made several cakes for my mom's coworkers and one of them LOVES the fondant. She ate all of it. If someone peeled it off their cake, she ate it for them. icon_lol.gif A friend of mine also loves fondant. She asked me to make a cake for her sister's bachelorette party and she actually requested fondant because she loves it so much. icon_confused.gif So there are some out there who do love it.

Prudence Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Prudence Posted 19 Oct 2008 , 4:14pm
post #16 of 25

I personaly don't like fondant. But it happens to be all I use. My kids eat it like it's goin' out of style! I did have a client that said she loves findant and only wants fondant cakes.

I think it is hit or miss, love or hate! icon_biggrin.gif

amysue99 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
amysue99 Posted 19 Oct 2008 , 4:30pm
post #17 of 25

Yeah, I think with most, it's the texture, not the taste (unless of course you're using wilton - then it's all about the inedible taste!)

kcw551 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kcw551 Posted 19 Oct 2008 , 4:38pm
post #18 of 25

I have a friend that insists on fondant on all the cakes she gets from me. She really loves it and raves about the taste, how great it is. I don't really care for the taste myself, but I do like working with it. Most people just want the buttercream and have fondant as the decorations only. Different strokes for different folks! I think it's a good thing that people are not all exactly alike, how boring to have the same thing all the time.

playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 19 Oct 2008 , 4:40pm
post #19 of 25

I love the very thin layer of fondant that Ron Ben-Israel puts on his cakes. He uses a sheeter and rolls it to 1/16 inch, which is the absolutely perfect thickness to eat it. Wish I could afford a sheeter - all my cakes would have fondant on them if I could roll it that thin.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

FromScratch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratch Posted 19 Oct 2008 , 4:42pm
post #20 of 25

I with the texture people. I don't think it's that people don't the the flavor of fondant (unless it's the wilton stuff) but more-so that many people don't want to chew their frosting.

I like my fondant.. it's yummy and has white chocolate in it. (I use Michele Foster's recipe and use it to make Jennifer Dontz fondant) It's yummy by itself, but I can't get past the texture when it's on a cake.

Callyssa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Callyssa Posted 19 Oct 2008 , 4:44pm
post #21 of 25

I am only giving cakes away at this point, but so far, everyone I've convinced to try the fondant has reluctantly agreed that they really liked it (and were surprised). I use Michelle Fosters recipe but no vanilla; just a little almond extract. I'm one of those (fill in the blank!) that doesn't actually like cake, but I will eat it with my fondant because the fondant gives it some body IMO, and I think I truly love it!

absijails Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
absijails Posted 19 Oct 2008 , 5:27pm
post #22 of 25

I had a customer order a cake and request fondant b/c she "loves" it - the more the better, she said.
Anytime I've used chocolate fondant, it's gotten eaten and enjoyed.
Personally, I like the taste on cookies, but I don't like the texture on cake.

orianadalyyorkshire8656 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
orianadalyyorkshire8656 Posted 19 Oct 2008 , 5:56pm
post #23 of 25

My mom HATES fondant. She say's it tastes like fish and "it's Repulsive" I only eat a little.

jennifer7777 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jennifer7777 Posted 19 Oct 2008 , 7:22pm
post #24 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by orianadalyyorkshire8656

My mom HATES fondant. She say's it tastes like fish and "it's Repulsive" I only eat a little.

Wow...like fish?! First time I've ever heard that. Your mom is funny.

Sweetlepea Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sweetlepea Posted 19 Oct 2008 , 8:20pm
post #25 of 25

I too, only make cakes for friends and family.. and some hate the fondant, and some love it! My mom for instance.. LOVES fondant, she eats it first, and thats what she requested for her last mothers day cake.. a cake made of all fondant! My kids love fondant too, and ask for the scraps when I'm using it, or leftover flowers I made. Myself and husband however arent big fans at all.. I have a friend that loves it too.. It goes both ways icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%