Tiered Petitfours?

Decorating By Jenn123 Updated 19 Oct 2008 , 8:22pm by Deb_

Jenn123 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jenn123 Posted 18 Oct 2008 , 6:06pm
post #1 of 9

I have a customer that wants mini tiered cakes. She wants stacked petitfours about the size of a cupcake!!! I've never seen this done but I'm thinking it will be a real pain. Has anyone done this using poured icing? What in the world would you charge? My gut is telling me to overprice them so she will order something else.... icon_smile.gif

8 replies
banba Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
banba Posted 18 Oct 2008 , 6:55pm
post #2 of 9

Charly's Bakery on Flickr has a photo of these and I have to agree they look like a PITA! Very pretty but hard work.

I was thinking about the way they do the three cookies stacked to look like a mini tiered cake and maybe you could just cut circles out of cake and stack them like the cookies a pour fondant over.

Still sounds like a lot of work to me!

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 18 Oct 2008 , 8:16pm
post #3 of 9

Your gut is smart. icon_biggrin.gif If you're gong to do them, get well paid. I require minis to be fondant, because it's easier for me, and I can work an extra day ahead since the fondant seals the cake so well. For a three tiered mini, my base price would be $16 each and that's with no decoration. I have seen them online for as much as $35 each. No, that wasn't a typo. It's a reflection of the extreme PITA-ness.

Cakechick123 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakechick123 Posted 18 Oct 2008 , 8:24pm
post #4 of 9

I agree with Leahs about the fondant. The poured fondant is just way too difficult. They are really a pita!

Tona Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tona Posted 18 Oct 2008 , 8:27pm
post #5 of 9

I agree with Leahs also. I would use rolled fondant not poured and they are a pain so be sure you charge for that.

Jenn123 Posted 18 Oct 2008 , 8:38pm
post #6 of 9

Yikes! I thought $10 would be expensive. icon_smile.gif Thanks for confirming my suspicions. I really don't want to make them. I'll feel bad for charging so much and feel bad for having to do such tedious work. Maybe I'll suggest the tiered stack of cookies instead. At least they wouldn't have to be iced!

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 18 Oct 2008 , 10:47pm
post #7 of 9

If you take this order for $10 per mini, you will be bck on here cryin' and complainin'. And we're gonna remember and say "We told you." mmmmmhhhmmmmmm ::snap::

Jenn123 Posted 19 Oct 2008 , 7:47pm
post #8 of 9

I sent her an email that the going price is $16. This is for a baby shower. There is no way she will pay this! I did her wedding cake and it was tiny and not expensive. Thanks for your advice everyone!!!

Deb_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deb_ Posted 19 Oct 2008 , 8:22pm
post #9 of 9

jenn123.......I made 4 layered pettit-four baby blocks for my nieces baby shower, they were the favors. You mentioned that your client wants the order for a baby shower, does she want them to look like square blocks or mini tiered cakes?

Maybe you could mention the baby building blocks as an alternative, they were not hard to make and they came out so adorable. I just baked a sheet cake, froze it partly so that it wouldn't fall apart when I torted it. I filled the layers with raspberry and lemon filling, restacked and cut in squares. They measured about 3" x 3" x 3". I did a poured icing, not poured fondant, than I decorated them with pastel fondant letters, numbers and border stripes.

I have a picture somewhere on my desktop, I'll try to find it and download it here for you. I made 50 in 1 night. Everyone loved them, we packaged them in individual clear boxes so you could see the design. At the shower a woman ordered some for her daughter's shower and I charged $5.75 ea.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%