How Should I Stack My Cakes?

Decorating By butterfly831915 Updated 18 Oct 2008 , 8:35pm by Cathy26

butterfly831915 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
butterfly831915 Posted 18 Oct 2008 , 5:59pm
post #1 of 6

icon_rolleyes.gif I am new to caking really and what I know I have done on my own so I am turning here to all of you for help on things I'm just not sure on. I want to do a stacked cake but I have heard of several ways of doing them. Should I just a seperator plate under one tier or just wait for the buttercream icing to crisp and use ps and stick the next layer on. Any help or suggetions much appreicated. Kinda dazed and confused with the options. icon_confused.gif

5 replies
MrsLev557 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MrsLev557 Posted 18 Oct 2008 , 6:09pm
post #2 of 6

I would go with Leah's SPS system. I just did my 1st 4 tiered cake its in my photos, it was so easy. She posted instructions.. http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-603925.html

The plates are a great price also. I am sure if you have a ? after looking at her thread she will answer it for you, she is very helpful.

Good Luck
Shirl

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 18 Oct 2008 , 6:23pm
post #3 of 6

aww . . .thanks. Yes, SPS is easy, and sturdy. Definitely start out right!

jibbies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jibbies Posted 18 Oct 2008 , 6:54pm
post #4 of 6

If you don't have time to order the SPS system Here's how I do all of mine.
Every tier has a cake cardboard under it. I push a wooden dowel down the center of the cake tier and mark it just even with the top of the crusted icing, then I cut 4 or more dowels (depending on the size of the tier) to that exact length. I push the dowels back into the same cake I just measured, but not in the center. just inside where the next tier will sit, in a circle. I use coconut to keep the cardboard from sticking to the tier above it, I just sprinkle a light layer on inside the circle where the next tier will sit. Do that for all tiers except the top, it doesn't need to be dowelled. If you are transporting stacked, sharpen a dowel that will go through all tiers and hammer it lightly down through the middle of all tiers at once (thats why I don't put a dowel back in the middle) I would onl suggest transporting no more than three tiers together, any more than that and I would assemble on site. In that case you can put a center dowel in each tier ecause you won't need the long center one to just set up.
Hope this helps, If you need more advice just pm me.

Jibbies

Tona Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tona Posted 18 Oct 2008 , 8:35pm
post #5 of 6

I love the SPS system it takes all the guess work out of the process. Good luck

Cathy26 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cathy26 Posted 18 Oct 2008 , 8:35pm
post #6 of 6

I had wondered this too. i can see the reason to use plates and dowels for 3 or 4 tiered cakes but what about just a two tiered sponge cake 20 cm on the bottom and 15 cm on top? if i used a firm icing would it hold i wonder or should you always support it?

Thanks!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%