Fondant?

Decorating By SpudCake Updated 20 Oct 2008 , 8:24pm by SpudCake

SpudCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SpudCake Posted 18 Oct 2008 , 4:51pm
post #1 of 8

Ok, here is my dilema...I am making a 3 tier cake for my little 100 year old friend. The design comes out of a Colette book. In order to do the design I must hand paint the fondant. Fondant? It will most likely be something new to her and I worry that I should stick with BC but....the design really needs to be in fondant. She doesn't see well but I want her to get the gratification from others saying to her "your cake is beautiful" and with BC the design just won't be as AWWWW some. As I am writing this and as I have said over and over again in my head....just do the fondant, it can be peeled off! So what do you all think.....JUST DO IT???

Joanne usaribbon.gif

7 replies
dragonflydreams Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dragonflydreams Posted 18 Oct 2008 , 5:01pm
post #2 of 8

. . . don't really know how to respond to your question . . . I do know I have seen several BC cakes that I would have sworn were fondant . . . so I'm not sure you have to do it in fondant if you don't want to . . . do you have a photo you can share . . .

SpudCake Posted 18 Oct 2008 , 5:50pm
post #3 of 8

Ok, here is the cake design, with the following changes.

Not topsy turvy, only three layers (10,12,14), no berries. The board will be pink foil covered.

I will have bows, pearls, ribbon roses, a large 100 on top and her name also made out of gumpaste standing on the side of the middle tier. Same basic colors. I plan to do the middle three designs.

This should make my question easier.

Thank you.
LL

dragonflydreams Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dragonflydreams Posted 19 Oct 2008 , 1:39am
post #4 of 8

. . . ah yes, I see your dilemma . . . (do you have an airbrush?? you could probably still do buttercream if you do) . . . looks like fondant would definitely be the easiest . . . but perhaps you might consider candy clay instead of fondant if you're really looking for an alternative . . . this may give you some idea of what's possible if you wish to tackle it (probably not much more work than fondant . . . but probably tastier if you don't think fondant would be popular) . . . http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1175215 . . . I will look forward to seeing your finished cake . . . not many of us get to do one for such an occasion . . . icon_wink.gif

SpudCake Posted 19 Oct 2008 , 4:26am
post #5 of 8

I do have an airbrush but haven't used it much yet so I don't think I could do a very neat job of it. I had thought of it though.

Joanne usaribbon.gif

MissRobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MissRobin Posted 20 Oct 2008 , 1:40pm
post #6 of 8

Definitely use fondant, as for the taste, they can peel it off if they don't like it. I really think that people just don't like the idea of chewing their icing. I have never really had anyone complain about it, they just don't eat it, and it really does keep your cake moist.

Cakepro Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakepro Posted 20 Oct 2008 , 1:49pm
post #7 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissRobin

Definitely use fondant, as for the taste, they can peel it off if they don't like it. I really think that people just don't like the idea of chewing their icing. I have never really had anyone complain about it, they just don't eat it, and it really does keep your cake moist.

Agree completely! icon_smile.gif

SpudCake Posted 20 Oct 2008 , 8:24pm
post #8 of 8

Thanks for the replies. I am gong to do the fondant.

Joanne usaribbon.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%