Proposal Ideas, How To Do What You Want?

Business By bethasd Updated 18 Oct 2008 , 5:32pm by CakeForte

bethasd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bethasd Posted 18 Oct 2008 , 12:31pm
post #1 of 2

I made a couple cakes for a friend hosting a wedding reception (one traditional and one sculpted). She is on the board of our local independent grocery store http://www.swarthmore.coop/index.php and asked if I would submit a proposal to the store for my cakes. The store does not have a bakery section but brings in pies and breads from outside vendors. What I really want to do is make celebration cakes, especially sculpted ooak. I feel this is a good opportunity to start a business with relatively low overhead. How can I structure a proposal that is both profitable and lets me do what I want?

1 reply
CakeForte Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeForte Posted 18 Oct 2008 , 5:32pm
post #2 of 2

It would probably be best if you wrote it in a way that appeals to them and answers any possible questions they might have.
Why would it be beneficial to them? All of the financial angles? Will it help save them money?

A basic proposal structure includes:
Introduction - Who you are, your background, explain how the store offers xyz, but not cakes.
Statement of Need - Why is there a need for your service?
Problems - current problems and how can you help resolve them? lack of funds for a proper baker could go here as well.
Goals/Tasks/Objectives - Spell out your main goal (to be their resource for specialty cakes) as well as all of the necessary steps you think it might take to meet this goal.
Examples (possible write a few scenarios or include case studies on when a client would want a specialty cake). Someone posted how Walmart sent a referral to them, that is a perfect example.
Timeline (how long will it take to complete your goal?) This should be in a timeline chart or table format.
Conclusion summary of who you are, what you want to do, why it would benefit them.

I hope that helps!
Feel free to PM if you have other questions. My master's is in communication so I write these types of documents constantly.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%