Cake Dummies

Decorating By __Jamie__ Updated 24 Oct 2008 , 3:55pm by __Jamie__

__Jamie__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Jamie__ Posted 17 Oct 2008 , 8:08pm
post #1 of 18

Searching the web for cake dummies, the tallest dummies I come across are 4". Does anyone know of any out there that are taller? 4" seems a little short when decorating for a competition. Or am I being picky? icon_confused.gif

Do you guys stick with 4" tall cakes even in competitions?

And I also noticed the rounded dummies for making it easier to cover in fondant...nice!

17 replies
__Jamie__ Posted 17 Oct 2008 , 8:10pm
post #2 of 18

I mean, stacked up, with three tiers...it's only a foot tall! Sheesh...I wonder if I am off in how big the pretty cakes look, like the really spectacular cakes that some of you guys submit to the albums...look HUGE! Are they?

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 17 Oct 2008 , 8:55pm
post #3 of 18

4" is the industry standard tier size, so it seems "realistic" to me to use 4" dummies in a display cake.

Most pics I see don't have anything next to them as a point of reference, so it's pretty hard to get a true feel for the size of the cake just by looking at a pic.

__Jamie__ Posted 17 Oct 2008 , 8:59pm
post #4 of 18

Thanks indydebi! I'm trying to draw up designs for a competition I want to enter, and taking measurements, I started to realize my concepts for design were on a much larger scale than I think most cakes truly are. I guess I'm going to stay with the dimensions I like...and GO BIG! icon_biggrin.gif

weirkd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
weirkd Posted 17 Oct 2008 , 9:17pm
post #5 of 18

I know all the competitions Ive been to and have entered, most are either 4" depending on the look your going for. You can make sizes different by either having them custom made or by using a cutter for styrofoam.

__Jamie__ Posted 17 Oct 2008 , 9:23pm
post #6 of 18

Ok, cool...that settles it then I guess! 4"....4"....hmmmmm. Thanks for your replies guys!

stephaniescakenj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stephaniescakenj Posted 17 Oct 2008 , 9:25pm
post #7 of 18

You can have custom shapes made too. I just had a pretty cool dummy created by Dallas Foam. I gave them a sketch of what I wanted and they made it. You could also order different size heights and glue them together I imagine. Like if you wanted a 6" high dummy, order two 3" and glue them together and then cover. I'm in the same boat, 4" just isn't a show stopper to me, so I ordered a custom middle tier and then 5" high for the other tiers. Dallas Foam will also round the corner so it's easier to cover in fondant without ripping it.

cakelady31 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakelady31 Posted 17 Oct 2008 , 9:29pm
post #8 of 18

Why couldn't you put the dummy on a stack of circles to make it alittle taller ? If you glued some cake circles together you could get another inch or so of height.

I just received my cake dummies today and am trying to figure out a design myself to display in a window to launch my cake business.

I have been asked to join a group ( florist, photoghrapher , bridal , etc. ) that wish to get together in business. I am so excited ( and a little nervous) to have been asked.

So now I am just trying to get all my ducks in a row !!

If anyone out there in this talented world has any design ideas I would love to hear about them .
I would love to see your finished product Jamie8534 , post a pic when you are finished.

SugaredUp Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugaredUp Posted 17 Oct 2008 , 9:32pm
post #9 of 18

I think D A L L A S F O A M sells 5" ones.

__Jamie__ Posted 17 Oct 2008 , 9:40pm
post #10 of 18

icon_lol.gif Thanks for the pm's guys...it's funny how some of the "information" gets (blocked)....lol! I think I've got a good line on some suppliers...thanks again!! icon_smile.gif

snarkybaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
snarkybaker Posted 17 Oct 2008 , 10:01pm
post #11 of 18

For photo shoots, I usually use 5 inch dummies. The extra height makes a big difference in the grandeur of the cake.

__Jamie__ Posted 17 Oct 2008 , 10:34pm
post #12 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by txkat

For photo shoots, I usually use 5 inch dummies. The extra height makes a big difference in the grandeur of the cake.

That's what I'm saying! icon_biggrin.gif

cakelady31 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakelady31 Posted 18 Oct 2008 , 12:38am
post #13 of 18

Why couldn't you put the dummy on a stack of circles to make it alittle taller ? If you glued some cake circles together you could get another inch or so of height.

I just received my cake dummies today and am trying to figure out a design myself to display in a window to launch my cake business.

I have been asked to join a group ( florist, photoghrapher , bridal , etc. ) that wish to get together in business. I am so excited ( and a little nervous) to have been asked.

So now I am just trying to get all my ducks in a row !!

If anyone out there in this talented world has any design ideas I would love to hear about them .
I would love to see your finished product Jamie8534 , post a pic when you are finished.

__Jamie__ Posted 18 Oct 2008 , 3:50pm
post #14 of 18

Yes, I am going to order those neat rounded edge dummies from t a y l o r f o a m ...(ha, block that CC!) icon_twisted.gif and glue on an extra inch or so of another piece of foam. I guess, trim, sand and decorate....good to go! thumbs_up.gif And I will surely post pics...after the competition! icon_cool.gif

__Jamie__ Posted 18 Oct 2008 , 3:54pm
post #15 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakelady31

Congratulations btw! How fun....and nervewracking at the same I bet.

weirkd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
weirkd Posted 18 Oct 2008 , 3:57pm
post #16 of 18

Jamie, I would try the Dallas place to get it first. Taylor is a little bit more expensive than Dallas is.
(cant block what I typed either!!! nah,nah,nah,nah!)

__Jamie__ Posted 18 Oct 2008 , 4:05pm
post #17 of 18

I actually talked to "Dallas place" yesterday and they said they would custom cut and everything...very nice! I guess I'm a little apprehensive about when they say the will sand the edges down smooth, if it will be even, like the Taylor ones look. But, they are professionals and I doubt you guys would recommend them if they weren't excellent. I think I'll go that route instead of Taylor...thanks for the advice!

__Jamie__ Posted 24 Oct 2008 , 3:55pm
post #18 of 18

I received my dummies today! And I must say, as I was apprehensive about the tiers only being 4" tall, seeing the stacked dummies puts it into perspective...I think 4" tall will be just fine! Now, to tackle getting fondant onto them so it looks nice. Anyone have any hints, these are square tiers with the rounded edges....ideas? Tricks? Never put fondant on a square cake before.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%