Buttercream Mmf?

Decorating By ChristianCakeBaker Updated 18 Oct 2008 , 12:26am by mbt4955

ChristianCakeBaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ChristianCakeBaker Posted 17 Oct 2008 , 6:06pm
post #1 of 6

i was browsing through the recipes on here and came across a buttercream MMF recipe. and of course i got SUPER excited. well i read that you have to use Lorann oils. could i use the wilton butter flavor instead? has anyone done this? i am really really wanting to make some fonant that people will actually enjoy..lol. i want to try michele foster's recipe, but in order to get the glycerine i have to make a 45 minute trip to our nearest michaels. also i just want some good buttercream MMF. icon_wink.gif

5 replies
mbt4955 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mbt4955 Posted 17 Oct 2008 , 6:37pm
post #2 of 6

Hi CCB,

I don't have an answer to your question, but I'm intrigued by buttercream MMF. I don't find the recipe. Can you tell me who posted it? I have found that putting melted white chocolate in helps with the taste. I also saw a recipe that uses cream cheese that I am going to try when I have some free time.

Good luck! I'll be watching this topic to see what kind of advice you get.

Martha

ChristianCakeBaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ChristianCakeBaker Posted 17 Oct 2008 , 11:26pm
post #3 of 6

hi,

heres the link
http://www.cakecentral.com/cake_recipe-7262-Buttercream-MMF.html

and i like the white chocolate idea icon_smile.gif

mbt4955 Posted 17 Oct 2008 , 11:55pm
post #4 of 6

Thanks for the link. I don't know why I couldn't find this recipe.

Another thing that I have done is to make chocolate clay (chocolate or candy melts and corn syrup), then mix it half and half with fondant.

Since the experts aren't jumping in, I use Lorann extracts and oils, but I haven't ever used the butter flavor oil. The Lorann extracts are a lot stronger than McCormick and the oils are stronger than the extracts. I think you would have to use a lot more with a store brand. I have found Lorann oils at Michaels and Hobby Lobby if you have either one of those close to you. I order mine online, but then I end up getting more than I need to justify the shipping! I use their raspberry and butter rum flavorings with a white butter cake (not at the same time) and they are great. People LOVE the butter rum cake.

I'm going to try this fondant recipe and see how I like it. I'm going to make the recipe that has cream cheese in it too ... let me know how yours turns out and I will do the same.

Martha

paulstonia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
paulstonia Posted 18 Oct 2008 , 12:23am
post #5 of 6

I always use a little wilton butter flavor in my marshmallow fondant. I like it, but you don't get a very strong butter flavor. You would probably taste it better with the oils. But marshmallow fondant taste pretty good anyway. mbt4955 where in Michaels did you find the lorann oils. The only ones I've found were with the candy making supplies and all they have is cherry, peppermint, and cinnamon. Not the flavors you usually use in cake.

mbt4955 Posted 18 Oct 2008 , 12:26am
post #6 of 6

They might only have the candy oils. Since I order mine direct from Lorann, I didn't buy any - just saw them there. They were with the candy supplies, so you are probably right. Sorry about that. icon_redface.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%