Help W/ Confetti Cakes Smbc....

Decorating By marriedtoagreek74 Updated 17 Oct 2008 , 9:55pm by sugarcheryl

marriedtoagreek74 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
marriedtoagreek74 Posted 17 Oct 2008 , 1:12pm
post #1 of 7

Can anyne tell me why when I use Confetti Cake recipe for SMBC it always ends up runny after I add the butter, it's not firm at all! If I use the recipe from "Cake Art" it always turns out fine and I think it's a little less sweet but I am looking for something that I can make in a bigger batch.

I have tried it 3 times and the same thing happens! What in the heck am I doing wrong??

icon_cry.gificon_cry.gificon_cry.gif

6 replies
FromScratch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratch Posted 17 Oct 2008 , 1:24pm
post #2 of 7

How long are you whipping it for? Is the egg mixture warm when you add the butter? I don't know the exact recipe off hand, but I am willing to bet that it's just warm. Let it sit covered on the counter for a couple hours and then try to whip it up again. It should come together for you. icon_smile.gif

Nicolle711 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Nicolle711 Posted 17 Oct 2008 , 1:29pm
post #3 of 7

I have the same problem. I love the taste of her SMBC but I don't get the recipe or what I am doing wrong. I also have tried 3 times and it alsways comes out runny. I was told to keep whipping in machine for a while but I am yet to try the recipe again. I tried another SMBC recipe and it worked out fine. I do plan to tackle Elisa's one more time though b/c I do love the flavor of it.

If anyone knows the trick...please share with us! icon_biggrin.gif

SHogg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SHogg Posted 17 Oct 2008 , 1:32pm
post #4 of 7

Same thing happened to me! My first attempt at SMBC was Confetti Cakes recipe. I could not get it right. Her recipe calls for 2 1/2 ounces of vanilla and it gave it such a strong alcohol taste everyone thought it tasted horrible and it was too runny. So it really turned me off of SMBC. That was until I read the fantastic thread by jkalman: making SMBC. Just the other day I tried her recipe and it was wonderful, silky and delicious.
I like Confetti Cakes cake recipes, very good.

FromScratch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratch Posted 17 Oct 2008 , 1:37pm
post #5 of 7

Thank you so much SHogg.. icon_redface.gif

I just looked up the recipe for Elisa's SMBC and she doesn't use nearly as much butter as I would. That could be a part of the issue too. For a recipe using 5 whites I would put in at least 3 sticks of unsalted butter if not 4 sticks. The butter lends stability to the icing.

marriedtoagreek74 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
marriedtoagreek74 Posted 17 Oct 2008 , 4:26pm
post #6 of 7

Ok, now I feel better (not that yall's didn't turn out too, but that I am not crazy!) I do think hers is a little sweet but it makes more than the other that I tried.

I will try jkalman's recipe tomorrow! thanks so much ladies!

sugarcheryl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarcheryl Posted 17 Oct 2008 , 9:55pm
post #7 of 7

I had the same problem one time it came out soupy but you need to keep beating it till you get to that buttercream stage. Sometimes you may have put the butter in before the sugar and egg whites has cooled. But keep beating it with your beaters. My instructor said you can't go wrong with smbc and she was right sometimes it looks kindaof runny but after a while it comes together. Also a great ratio is 8 oz egg whites 16 oz sugar 24 oz butter. I was talk that in school and it works every time not to sweet and you can add any flavor to it.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%