How Do You Keep From Eating The Scraps????

Decorating By LoriMc Updated 17 Oct 2008 , 7:35pm by Ruby2uesday

LoriMc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LoriMc Posted 17 Oct 2008 , 3:43am
post #1 of 31

I gain ten pounds, then I lose it....then I gain it back. These cake scraps are killin me!

30 replies
chutzpah Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chutzpah Posted 17 Oct 2008 , 3:48am
post #2 of 31

Um.... throw them away?!?

Teenequeene Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Teenequeene Posted 17 Oct 2008 , 3:48am
post #3 of 31

yeah i gained about 10 lbs this past year. I was trying to figure out what is different and I remembered I started cake decorating about a year ago. I recently started throwing the scraps away as soon as i level/cut the cake. I also throw my bowls in the sink as soon as im done so Im not tempted. I made a cake yesterday and didnt lick the bowl or anything at all for the first time. Im so proud of myself.

JenniferL Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JenniferL Posted 17 Oct 2008 , 3:51am
post #4 of 31

I feed them to the trash can or to my husband! Both get the job done! icon_lol.gif

sweetbn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetbn Posted 17 Oct 2008 , 3:52am
post #5 of 31

Feed them to your family icon_biggrin.gif Can you turn them into that dessert (the name escapes me right now) but you layer cake pieces, whip, and fruit?

If you really have no other use for them and can't resist then throw them out, pronto!

SeriousCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SeriousCakes Posted 17 Oct 2008 , 3:57am
post #6 of 31

My assistants and I have a bite, you know, for quality control, then I toss the rest in a freezer bag and put it in the freezer. I have occasionally left it out, thinking I can resist but nope, if I don't put it away right away, I'll eat it until it's gone.

playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 17 Oct 2008 , 4:01am
post #7 of 31

We're supposed to stop?

Try eating them with chopsticks icon_lol.gif

Theresa icon_smile.gif

SeriousCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SeriousCakes Posted 17 Oct 2008 , 4:11am
post #8 of 31
Quote:
Quote:

Try eating them with chopsticks

SO gonna try that!! icon_lol.gif

FromScratch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratch Posted 17 Oct 2008 , 4:19am
post #9 of 31

LOL.. that dessert with the layers is a trifle.

I just throw them away.. I don't really like cake to begin with, but years of caking have made scraps nauseating to me.

tyty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tyty Posted 17 Oct 2008 , 4:24am
post #10 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by playingwithsugar

We're supposed to stop?

Try eating them with chopsticks icon_lol.gif

Theresa icon_smile.gif

Won't help me any, I'm pretty good with them.
I just put them in the freezer and say to muself, if I save them I can make a few more bucks.

SpringFlour Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SpringFlour Posted 17 Oct 2008 , 4:26am
post #11 of 31

Cake rarely appeals to me. I like to eat a piece when it's done, but the scraps aren't too tempting. I like the cake I eat to be pretty. Scraps aren't pretty. icon_razz.gif Of course, you can't tell by my waistline that I don't eat the scraps. My problem is the bag of snack mix/chips/crackers/any salty snack sitting on the counter while I'm in the kitchen!

FromScratch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratch Posted 17 Oct 2008 , 4:34am
post #12 of 31

Salty snacks are my downfall too SpringFlour.. and I have an extra 25 pounds to prove it. My favorite thing to eat is this ultra-rich artichoke dip laden with cheese.. I get it at the uppity food market. SOOOOOO good with crackers. I could eat two tubs of it a day.

I'm not a sweet person at all.

l_m_mena Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
l_m_mena Posted 17 Oct 2008 , 4:36am
post #13 of 31

Freezing them right away in a freezer bag. What a brilliant idea! It keeps them safe from me, and they can later be used for cake balls or tastings.

I should try that next time. I usually save them for DH, but they stay there looking at me until he comes home and they cry out of loneliness, so of course I have to comfort them (read: eat them).

I must try the freeze instantly method. Must try. Must.

calynmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
calynmom Posted 17 Oct 2008 , 4:38am
post #14 of 31

Give them to my daughter....husband...and dog.

CeeTee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CeeTee Posted 17 Oct 2008 , 4:39am
post #15 of 31

I don't have an oven at my place (yaaay studio apartments) So I have to go to either my brother's or my boyfriend's house to do my baking. They both claim the scraps as my "cake tax" for using their kitchen. :LOL:

OhMyGanache Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
OhMyGanache Posted 17 Oct 2008 , 4:41am
post #16 of 31

Bag them up and have your customer taste them when they pick up the cake... that way you they can't complain later about the taste/dryness, etc.

I've never had complaints, and I don't do this... just a thought.

Personally, I give them to my kids. They don't mind helping so much when there's cake for them.

Chippi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chippi Posted 17 Oct 2008 , 6:04am
post #17 of 31

What scraps????? icon_surprised.gificon_lol.gif lol

GI Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GI Posted 17 Oct 2008 , 6:29am
post #18 of 31

Take up jogging instead. icon_biggrin.gif

sweetbn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetbn Posted 17 Oct 2008 , 6:31am
post #19 of 31

[quote="jkalman"]LOL.. that dessert with the layers is a trifle.

Lol exactly what I was meaning, thanks icon_smile.gif

shalderman Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shalderman Posted 17 Oct 2008 , 5:58pm
post #20 of 31

I have no trouble avoiding them these days - at first when I got into this I was snitching left and right. Now I could care less. I always try one tiny piece for quality control, save the rest for my DH if he wants it. Honestly ... I don't even eat much cake icon_redface.gif Just doesn't do much for me to eat it anymore...now the FROSTING on the other hand... icon_lol.gificon_rolleyes.gificon_wink.gif

shanasweets Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shanasweets Posted 17 Oct 2008 , 6:05pm
post #21 of 31

I took up cake decorating shortly after having gastric bypass. One side affect of this surgery is you don't tolerate carbs well esp sugar. My surgeon laughed at me when I told her I was taking up cake decorating. At first I had no desire for anything sweet. Now I do crave sweets more, but unless I am trying something new I am just dying to taste , I still don't want any. Every once in a while I will eat some, but usually end up with such a belly ache it isn't worth it. I just make cakeballs out of the scraps and take them to work. They all love it.

jillmakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jillmakescakes Posted 17 Oct 2008 , 6:13pm
post #22 of 31

I know this has been discussed before, but I must have missed it: What are cake balls?

I thought that was what Chutzpah had icon_twisted.gif

MacsMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MacsMom Posted 17 Oct 2008 , 6:17pm
post #23 of 31

I bring my trashcan out from under the sink so all the trimmings go directly into the can! Recently, though, my daughters swim school asked me to bring them my scraps... They let me advertise for free, so I oblige by saving only the best pieces icon_eek.gif

shanasweets Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shanasweets Posted 17 Oct 2008 , 6:21pm
post #24 of 31

you take cake and crumble it up into tiny pieces. then you take something of moisture, frosting, filling or some people us coffee creamer. you add enough to make cake come together, not to much or it is mushy. Just enough to form balls. you can make little balls like truffles, or larger ones the size of cupcakes. I have done both. You freeze these after the balls are formed and then dip in melted chocolate. I also have placed mine in cupcake wrapper and drizzle with chocolate instead of completely dipping them when I am any a hurry. you can go to bakerella.blogspot.com she has alot of examples of small ones she makes for many different types of occassions.

kellertur Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kellertur Posted 17 Oct 2008 , 6:24pm
post #25 of 31

I don't eat cake either... I gave up breads all together, it's my "jones"... ~ 18 months bread-sober now. Luckily, I don't really have a sweet tooth.

I just throw them away or freeze them and make cake-balls...
"waste-not, want-not"... I think not. icon_lol.gif (just kidding)

pepperyeye Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pepperyeye Posted 17 Oct 2008 , 6:35pm
post #26 of 31

Altoids...cake really doesn't taste good (or frosting, filling, etc) when sucking on a curiously strong peppermint.

hilly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hilly Posted 17 Oct 2008 , 6:43pm
post #27 of 31

I saw this tip on the food network one time (I can't remember which show). But if you chew gum while you're baking, you're not so tempted to sneak bites.

Cake's not my downfall though, the icing bowl on the other hand has to be tossed into the sink immediately or I'm all over it.

kjt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kjt Posted 17 Oct 2008 , 6:53pm
post #28 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by jillmakescakes

I know this has been discussed before, but I must have missed it: What are cake balls?

I thought that was what Chutzpah had icon_twisted.gif

icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

angelatx Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
angelatx Posted 17 Oct 2008 , 6:55pm
post #29 of 31

when i am doing a cake, i have no interest in eating the cake, scraps or icing..... i made one for my parents last weekend and when they were cutting it, asked if i wanted some, i made this face that i think made them wonder if it was any good, lol! and said "no way" everyone still wanted some after that (i wouldn't have, after my reaction, hehe) and they loved it! (thankfully) i dont know what it is, but after all that i have no temptation to eat it...... weird..... icon_confused.gif
Have a great day everyone!!! icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 17 Oct 2008 , 7:19pm
post #30 of 31

Icing doesn't tempt me but cake does...I end up snacking on it. When I feel I've had more than enough (or don't want to even go that far) I scoop it into the trash after wrapping up a larger piece for hubby. Kids don't need it either most of the time....too much sugar!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%