Black Fondant?

Decorating By scrapperjade Updated 17 Oct 2008 , 4:00am by wrightway777

scrapperjade Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scrapperjade Posted 17 Oct 2008 , 2:06am
post #1 of 6

How do I make black fondant? Is this possible? I think I've seen Wilton fondant (which I know is yucky) in black at Michaels... should i just get that?

Thanks for any help or suggestions!

5 replies
sari66 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sari66 Posted 17 Oct 2008 , 3:06am
post #2 of 6

Satin Ice makes some and I just ordered some today from global sugar arts. If you make your own start with chocolate fondant then make black

scrapperjade Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scrapperjade Posted 17 Oct 2008 , 3:28am
post #3 of 6

Thank you! I'll do it the chocolate way, this will be the first time making fondant, so I want to practice before buying anything online!

sweetisome Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetisome Posted 17 Oct 2008 , 3:38am
post #4 of 6

I too just purchaced some black Satin Ice from Global Sugar , but I have to say I'm a little wary...I had some trouble with some SI recently...I'm hoping to not run into the same issue!

JenniferL Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JenniferL Posted 17 Oct 2008 , 3:49am
post #5 of 6

I've been using the SI black fondant and really like it. It's a little soft, but pretty easy to work with.

wrightway777 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wrightway777 Posted 17 Oct 2008 , 4:00am
post #6 of 6

I'm not sure the size of your project but if you are working on a small item (like a figure and in a pinch) you could make some chocolate clay (aka chocolate plastique, etc) and tint it with black candy color. Easy.

Larger project - yeah, I like Satin Ice fondant - also try Chocopan. Stay clear away from Wilton fondant unless its not going to be eaten or you just want to practice with it - taste is beyond gross.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%