Urgent>>>> Need Pricing Help!!!!

Baking By l80bug79 Updated 19 Oct 2008 , 7:48am by mouse13

l80bug79 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
l80bug79 Posted 16 Oct 2008 , 11:38pm
post #1 of 21

Just had an inquiry on 300 wedding cookies. heart shapped w/ monogram (picture attached) normally i charge $25 per dozen which would be $625. that seems really high in my opinion. but I've never done this quanity and don't want to under cut myself. I was thinking $1.50 per cookie? which would be $450. is that fair? cheating myself? too much?

thanks
aimee
LL

20 replies
SILVERCAT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SILVERCAT Posted 16 Oct 2008 , 11:47pm
post #2 of 21

IDK, about pricing but don't cut yourself short, thats ALOT of cookies, icing and TIME!! I think your $625 is right, charge by the dozen! Good Luck

Wesha Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Wesha Posted 16 Oct 2008 , 11:51pm
post #3 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by l80bug79

Just had an inquiry on 300 wedding cookies. heart shapped w/ monogram (picture attached) normally i charge $25 per dozen which would be $625. that seems really high in my opinion. but I've never done this quanity and don't want to under cut myself. I was thinking $1.50 per cookie? which would be $450. is that fair? cheating myself? too much?

thanks
aimee

$625 sounds reasonable to me. You have to factor in your time, let along the detail with the icing and the monogram.

FromScratch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratch Posted 16 Oct 2008 , 11:58pm
post #4 of 21

$625 is way more than reasonable.. You have to take into consideration the DAYS this is going to take you. You'll have to roll and cut, and bake and cool, then flood and let dry for at least 12 hours.. then you'll have to pipe details in 2 steps so you don't risk smudging one or the other. For cookies like this I'd charge no less than $1 per inch of the cookie. Those are what.. 3" hearts? So $3 per cookie.. or $900.00 and if you are going to bag them I'd add $0.50 per cookie.

It is a TON of work.. worth it if you can get paid for it, but only if you can be paid appropriately. icon_smile.gif Don't short change yourself.. this is aproject that will take you at least 3-4 days to complete.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 17 Oct 2008 , 12:01am
post #5 of 21

Think about this: you have to roll out dough; cut 300+ cookies; cover each in icing (fondant?); pipe on the letters; pipe on the borders.... are you going to wrap them & tier w/a bow/ribbon? Then box & deliver them?
Look at how many times you have to handle *each* cookie! How much room do you have? Are you working at home? Where are you going to store each 100 until you are completely finished?
They want a special product that not many places are willing to handle.....get paid for your work!

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 17 Oct 2008 , 12:04am
post #6 of 21

Agreed, you charge what I charge. I have had people turn green and say "that's too much $$" but I tell them "if you want grocery store quality then go to the grocery store. My work is custom, couture and delicious. Period." And to be honest, those who walk away I'm glad to see go. I don't have time for nonsense.

l80bug79 Posted 17 Oct 2008 , 12:07am
post #7 of 21

thanks for the input... 300 just BLEW my mind!!! i've thought about how long this will take and how much room it will entail. I do bake from home so there will be a little where the heck will i keep all these cookies while i'm working on them/letting them sit etc.

yes they would be individually bagged and tied and delivered. she's about 15 miles from me.

i'm on the border of do i charge what i would take because that would be nice to have or do i charge what i would want because of the time? there's not too many bakeries around here. and if she got them from online from somewhere that would ship to her they would probably be like $4 or $5 a cookie probably.

hmmm... what to do....

SugaredUp Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugaredUp Posted 17 Oct 2008 , 12:09am
post #8 of 21

I wouldn't lower the price too much because you will end up regretting it. However, since it's a large order and you can do somewhat of an assembly line type thing, since it's only 1 style of cookie, I would offer her a little bit of a discount. Maybe if they were normally $3.50 each, I would go down to $3.25. But tell her it's only if she stays w/ 1 design.

Good luck in whatever you decide to do!

cookiesbyms Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cookiesbyms Posted 17 Oct 2008 , 12:24am
post #9 of 21

I just finished 300 cookies for a soccer club, OMG I never expected it to be so much work. I even had 3 helpers to bag them and it still took us 4 hours just to put them in a bag and tie with a ribbon.
I usually charge $3.50 but I made the mistake of only charging them $2.50 since they were getting so many. If anyone else asks for cookies I am going to say $5.50 each and $6.00 if I have to bag them. This is Australian dollars.

l80bug79 Posted 17 Oct 2008 , 12:27am
post #10 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by cookiesbyms

I just finished 300 cookies for a soccer club, OMG I never expected it to be so much work. I even had 3 helpers to bag them and it still took us 4 hours just to put them in a bag and tie with a ribbon.
I usually charge $3.50 but I made the mistake of only charging them $2.50 since they were getting so many. If anyone else asks for cookies I am going to say $5.50 each and $6.00 if I have to bag them. This is Australian dollars.

oh wow. i have no idea what the conversion rate would be, but i get what you're saying, "no bulk pricing for this baker" icon_smile.gif

cookiesbyms Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cookiesbyms Posted 17 Oct 2008 , 12:30am
post #11 of 21

I just checked it out and $6 Australian is $4 American at the moment.

l80bug79 Posted 17 Oct 2008 , 12:36am
post #12 of 21

thanks for the help. who knows, i may not even get the order. the email said she's getting prices for her wedding. but we'll just see what happens.

Keep on Bakin....

Aimee

FromScratch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratch Posted 17 Oct 2008 , 12:38am
post #13 of 21

Converted she charged $1.75-ish for her cookies and next time would charge $3.50-$4.10-ish.

icon_biggrin.gif

It's so much work. Try to think where you will put 300 cookies.. you might have to do them in batches so you can have some bagged while you work on others so you can get them out of the way so you have room to work on more. Will you be able to keep the kiddos away from them?? (I know I would have trouble.. mine LOVE cookies.. icon_lol.gif)

Do they really need 300? I'd ask how many are invited.. if it's 300 invited she'll never need that many. 70% of the invited guests is a good estimate on how many will actually come. She can always add more on as the date approaches if it looks like they will need more.

It's defiitely do-able.. and making cookies is fun.. but please do not offer a discount for bulk orders.. no way no how. You will end up screaming WHYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY!?!?!?!?!?! 1/2 way through and wishing you had never said yes.

Good luck with whatever you choose to do. icon_smile.gif

dandelion56602 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dandelion56602 Posted 17 Oct 2008 , 12:43am
post #14 of 21

No way in this world would I do it for $1.50 each! I charge about $.85 per inch plus $.30 to bag & tie. So, it would be $2.85 per cookie. Even if you do have an assembly line you'll be busy. Make sure you make a BIG batch of RI so you don't run out & your color's differ. I've never heard people who do this many cookies or mini cakes say "dang I charged them way too much". It's ALWAYS "next time I'm charging WAY more". Even the girls on the new Amazing Wedding Cakes show said they would charge a lot more next time for mini cakes----cookies, same concept.

aligotmatt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aligotmatt Posted 17 Oct 2008 , 12:57am
post #15 of 21

I did 300 cookes for a reception a couple weeks ago. All putinto a bag and tied with bow. It took 6 hours just to bag and bow all the cookies.

This does not count the time to make 20 batches of NFSC that had to be made to make 300 3"x3" cookies. Nor the time to make all of the royal icing. Piping 300 borders, flooding 300 cookies, piping 300 monograms and 300 blue borders. Waiting for it to dry, then bagging them all.

132 yards of ribbon is what it took to put a bow on each cookie. That's some serious ribbon!

I priced out that to bake, ice, bag and bow, each cookie was $.80 cost (not including electric, water, soaps... Just the eggs, flour, sugar, butter, p.s., bags, ribbons...) I charged $4.00 per cookie and I worked for that money. hard. piping all of that ri is not easy!

getfrosted Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
getfrosted Posted 17 Oct 2008 , 1:06am
post #16 of 21

Don't under-cut your cost ... that is a TON of work! I've done 150 at once and I thought I was going crazy. Minimum I charge is $3.00 each for that size (including bags and ribbon).

tinygoose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tinygoose Posted 17 Oct 2008 , 1:28am
post #17 of 21

What are you charging like $2.08 per cookie. That is totally a good deal!!!! I would offer tell them you will throw in a "honeymoon" cookie bouquet of 6 cookies just for the couple to take on their honeymoon. Don't lower your price! The cookies are lovely!!!

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 17 Oct 2008 , 3:11am
post #18 of 21
Quote:

normally i charge $25 per dozen which would be $625. that seems really high in my opinion.

You cantâ think of it as $600 cookies â¦. Itâs enough cookies TO FEED 300 PEOPLE!!!

Quote:

there's not too many bakeries around hereâ¦...

Itâs called supply-and-demand. If there is NO supply, and a demand, then those doing the supplying are in the driverâs seat and can charge what itâs really worth. If every bakery on every corner of your town were doing these, youâd all be having an inventory-clearance sale because the supply would be so high you wouldnât be able to GIVE them away! But thatâs not what you have.

I also heartily agree with Kakeladi, Bobwonderbuns and jkalman!! Especially jkalmanâs pricing recommendation. And charge EXTRA if you're going to bag them!

Pay attention to the time factor that everyone is sharing on just the bagging time. I had an order for only 100 cookies and it took me an hour. Even with assembly line production (which Iâm a BIG advocate of!), your back will hurt, your hands will cramp, your feet will ache and youâll be living on Advil.

GeminiRJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GeminiRJ Posted 17 Oct 2008 , 11:48am
post #19 of 21

Wow, what a fantastic thread! I know I've seen similar information on other threads, but this is impressive. I can't imagine doing 300 cookies. I realize you're thinking $600 sounds like a lot for "just cookies", but these are a custom designed dessert item. As indydebi state, it's 300 people!

l80bug79 Posted 17 Oct 2008 , 1:35pm
post #20 of 21

You cantâ think of it as $600 cookies â¦. Itâs enough cookies TO FEED 300 PEOPLE!!!

[

I see what you mean....i'll figure out something. thanks for everyone's input!

mouse13 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mouse13 Posted 19 Oct 2008 , 7:48am
post #21 of 21

Hope u get the job, and hope you don't sell your self short.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%