Gumpaste (Fondant ) Roses Question

Decorating By biviana Updated 18 Oct 2008 , 7:46pm by bobwonderbuns

biviana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
biviana Posted 16 Oct 2008 , 6:01pm
post #1 of 10

HI,

i need to make some gumpaste roses. I do not have gumpaste right now, but I do have satin Ice Fondant available.
It would work the same if I just use the fondant with GumTex powder? Will they dry as hard and dry as fast as the gumpaste ones?

Thanks for your help.

Biviana

9 replies
Sugarflowers Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sugarflowers Posted 16 Oct 2008 , 8:16pm
post #2 of 10

Add about 1 tsp. of the gumtex to about 1 lb. of fondant. Knead this in in small amounts. Coat the ball with a thin layer of shortening, wrap it twice in plastic wrap, then place it in an airtight container. Let this stand over night. This should give you a nice gumpaste.

If it still seems soft after using the 1 tsp. gumtex, then add in a little bit at a time until it is a little more firm. In the morning, the gumpaste will seem very stiff, but once you knead it a bit it will be fine. Use only what you need right away and keep the rest wrapped. Place any scraps in a bag or re-wrap.

Using the gumtex is pretty much the same as using tylose. Both are a type of gum and it will dry the same way as gumpaste.

HTH

Michele

biviana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
biviana Posted 16 Oct 2008 , 10:09pm
post #3 of 10

Thanks a lot Michele.
Another simple question. Can I work with white and then color with luster dust? or is it better to start with a soft color and then darker if necesary?

Does "Ready to Use wilton Fondant" work well? or is it better fondant with the gum tex?

Thanks again.

Biviana

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 17 Oct 2008 , 1:20am
post #4 of 10

Never had reasonn to use Wilton's ready to use so can't really say. I've often used fondant w/GumTex mixed into it for may thing.
You can't get the flower petals quite as thin as if you used 'real' gp but it does a rather good jobicon_smile.gif
Yes, you can work w/white then dust the color. ....
It does depend on the color &/or shade you need. Of course the darker you want the flower the more you need to have colored fondant to start with.

korensmommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
korensmommy Posted 17 Oct 2008 , 1:36am
post #5 of 10

May I ask a related question? I need to make an Elmo figure, about 3-4 inches tall, out of MMF. Will adding GumTex powder to my MMF make it more stable and sturdier? I need Elmo to sit on top of the cake and worried he will be too soft and fall over.

newmansmom2004 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
newmansmom2004 Posted 17 Oct 2008 , 1:40am
post #6 of 10

I use the Wilton fondant + the Wilton gumtec ALL the time. In fact, that's all I use for gumpaste and it works just fine. I've got some gumpaste roses that I did several weeks ago and they're still nice and hard. It takes about a week for this gumpaste to really dry out.

I don't use the Wilton fondant for anything else because it just tastes so bad, but for a quick gumpaste I find it works very well.

As for the lustre dusts and coloring your fondant, I think it depends on how deep or rich a color you want. I like using a light colored gumpaste then adding shadows and accents with lustre dust. If your gumpaste dries and you find that it's too dark you really can't lighten it up, but you can always darken it.

Good luck!

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 17 Oct 2008 , 1:45am
post #7 of 10

I just want to be sure I'm on the same page -- is the gumtex powder the same as Tylose powder?

Sugarflowers Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sugarflowers Posted 17 Oct 2008 , 4:38am
post #8 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by biviana

Thanks a lot Michele.
Another simple question. Can I work with white and then color with luster dust? or is it better to start with a soft color and then darker if necesary?

Does "Ready to Use wilton Fondant" work well? or is it better fondant with the gum tex?

Thanks again.

Biviana

You can work with white and then dust with petal dust or luster dust. If you want the flowers to be darker, then start with a pale version of the color you want and then dust them to the darker shade. Remember that the backs of flowers and leaves are usually lighter than the front.

The Wilton fondant will work fine for making gumpaste, if you can get past the smell. icon_lol.gif I like to use either my homemade fondant or Pettinice Ice fondant.

Keep experimenting until you find something that works well for you. Nick Lodge has a good recipe on his web site. It makes a LOT of gumpaste. It can be colored and/or frozen as needed. This is a really good gumpaste for people will cool hands. My hands melt most gumpastes, that is why I make mine and make it very stiff.

I know, too much information. Sorry.

Michele

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 18 Oct 2008 , 8:16am
post #9 of 10

.......is the gumtex powder the same as Tylose powder?........

NO. They are somewhat similar....both 'harden' up fondant but they are not the same thing.
GumTex is Wilton's substitute for Tylose. It is not a gum really. It makes fondant into pastilege(sp??) not gumpaste. Pastelige dries harder and faster than gp and does not have the 'stretch' gp will.

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 18 Oct 2008 , 7:46pm
post #10 of 10

Thanks kakeladi!! All you had to say was "Wilton's substitute for Tylose" and that said it all! icon_lol.gif I prefer the Tylose with fondant or a straight gumpaste mix but I'm still playing with which recipes I like best. Thanks!! icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%